Broadway Museum

OuttaTowner
#1Broadway Museum
Posted: 4/29/22 at 8:01pm

Has an opening date been set yet for the new Broadway museum?  I’ve seen no announcement. Friends are flying in late this summer and were hoping to see it. 

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#2Broadway Museum
Posted: 4/29/22 at 8:06pm

Wondering the same. I'm hoping to be in NYC for a few days in July and would love to go if it's open by then, but given (mainly the lack of) recent updates, I'm kinda doubting it will be.

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#3Broadway Museum
Posted: 6/14/22 at 10:23am

Opening November 15th! Tickets go on sale next week.

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

amandap213
#4Broadway Museum
Posted: 6/17/22 at 12:40pm

just saw it's opening on november 15! i was already excited since there has never been a museum of broadway (which is crazy) but hearing the co-creators talk about it in the promo video made me even more pumped! https://vimeo.com/719984238/cf41d3cbde

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#5Broadway Museum
Posted: 6/17/22 at 2:04pm

Sounds exciting! Eager to check this one out. 

Oh look, a bibu!

UncleCharlie
#6Broadway Museum
Posted: 6/17/22 at 2:55pm

$39 admission? The rides better be spectacular.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#7Broadway Museum
Posted: 6/17/22 at 3:02pm

The animatronic Patti yelling at you will be worth every penny. 

Updated On: 6/17/22 at 03:02 PM

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#8Broadway Museum
Posted: 6/17/22 at 3:22pm

Bought my tickets but not till January.   

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#9Broadway Museum
Posted: 6/17/22 at 3:26pm

I'm hopeful but apprehensive about this based on the video and website. I know they claim there will be "easter eggs" for those of us in-the-know, but being that it's a for-profit entity, it will have to be appealing to the lowest common denominator of tourists, focusing on glossy exhibits about big hit musicals and limited stuff about plays...plus the hypersensitive optics issues.

There's also been very little said about what types of historical artifacts from Broadway shows/figures have been acquired. Naturally there will be plenty from the past 30 years, but covering the past century of Broadway's evolution will be even more important.

What we really need is a nonprofit NYC Museum of American Theatre –– not merely Broadway –– on the scale of the expansive new Academy Museum in LA.

Updated On: 6/17/22 at 03:26 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#10Broadway Museum
Posted: 6/17/22 at 3:32pm

I’m sure it’ll have the same crap you can see at any theatre.  Costumes from WICKED and the “Masquerade” number from PHANTOM.  A chair and derby from CHICAGO.  A lamp prop from ALADDIN.  Carol Channing’s red feathered headress from HELLO, DOLLY!  And lots of framed Playbills and a TV monitor showing performances from the Tony Awards.  cheeky

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#11Broadway Museum
Posted: 6/17/22 at 3:38pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "I’m sure it’ll have the same crap you can see at any theatre. Costumes from WICKED and the “Masquerade” number from PHANTOM. A chair and derby from CHICAGO. A lamp prop from ALADDIN. Carol Channing’s red feathered headress from HELLO, DOLLY! And lots of framed Playbills and a TV monitor showing performances from the Tony Awards. cheeky"

My great fears, articulated!

It would have been interesting if this idea had become merged with the new Drama Bookshop to create a large and elegant space to learn about theatre, buy books about theatre, and drink coffee in a theatrical environment.

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#12Broadway Museum
Posted: 6/17/22 at 3:57pm

Hoping they’ll be an interactive experience that shows people how to fully turn off their cell phones. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#13Broadway Museum
Posted: 6/17/22 at 4:12pm

Bill Snibson said: "Hoping they’ll be an interactive experience that shows people how to fully turn off their cell phones."

No –– photos are strongly encouraged!

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#14Broadway Museum
Posted: 6/17/22 at 4:37pm

I recall the Gershwin theater had a number of Broadway artifacts on display.

AEA AGMA SM
#15Broadway Museum
Posted: 6/17/22 at 4:43pm

Jordan Catalano said: "The animatronic Patti yelling at you will be worth every Penny."

And then it goes on a murderous rampage when it sees a camera flash, like the Itchy and Scratchy robots at Itchy and Scratchy Land

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#16Broadway Museum
Posted: 6/17/22 at 5:57pm

^ This is all we want in a Broadway museum.