Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/3/22 at 8:39am

With nominations happening next week, is there a date when we should expect the final rulings for the shows that wrapped up the season? 

DCS
#2Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/3/22 at 9:53am

I would assume the final Admin Committee rulings will be sometime this week.  Their website doesn't have a date.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/3/22 at 11:09am

Assuming Thursday, since the eligibility cutoff is Wednesday.

And then the nominating committee would meet to vote on Friday.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#4Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/3/22 at 11:15am

Maybe dumb questions but I don't know much about the actual voting process of the Tony's
1) Do we assume the committee has already seen everything by this point? 
2) Is there anyway to find out who is actually on the committee? Ive always been curious if there was a list online anywhere. And does it change from year to year? 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/3/22 at 11:28am

1) Do we assume the committee has already seen everything by this point? The cutoff  for the nominating & administration committee to see everything is tomorrow, which is technically the last day of the season. It's a bit different this year because of Covid. Nominators typically see shows during press nights (the final previews before opening, or the first few performances post-opening).

2) Is there anyway to find out who is actually on the committee? Ive always been curious if there was a list online anywhere. And does it change from year to year? The lists of the various committees are all here, and yes, they change year to year. The voter list is not public. That's a group of about 800 people in the theatre industry. The voters will not have seen everything yet; many will do so over the coming weeks after nominations are announced.

Wondering what special awards will be given by the Administration Committee this year. Perhaps the puppet design from SKIN OF OUR TEETH? A special non-award citation to swings/understudies and Covid safety teams? An award for Chuck Schumer, which might have been part of the lobbying agreement for the Save Our Stages funding?

There's also:
– Regional Theatre Award (perhaps to New York Theatre Workshop, with Jim Nicola retiring)
– Lifetime Achievement Award (Jack Viertel, who recently retired from Jujamcyn and Encores, is a possibility, along with many other luminaries)
– Tony Honors for Excellence in Theatre (special awards for people who are not eligible to compete in any of the established Tony categories –– press agents, GMs, shops, etc)
– Isabelle Stevenson Award (already announced for Bob Wankel of the Shubert Org)

Updated On: 5/3/22 at 11:28 AM

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#6Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/3/22 at 11:47am

The Tony's bizarrely never released an updated press release for the nominating committee this year. (were there even new members added? Usually folks serve for a few years before rotating out). The list on their site is only up to date as of December. I can see at least one person who would have had to recuse herself of being a nominator: Priscilla Lopez, since she ended up performing in The Skin of Our Teeth. So at the most we have 36 nominators for the season...which is a little low. It's been as high as 52 I believe though its not always at that level. 

The eligibility date was pushed back so that the nominators could see everything. SO I would assume that they have indeed done that. If a nominator misses even one production, they must recuse themselves of voting duties. USUALLY nominators attend shows during press week or opening night, unless something in their schedule doesn't allow for that. This season has proved more challenging due to cancellations and performers being out with Covid. I think Macbeth proved most problematic in this regard and is the production they will definitely have seen in these final days of the extension.

And yes: final eligibility determinations will be released Thursday.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#7Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/3/22 at 11:59am

Who is Tony? Should I know him?

*Tony 

*Tonys 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#8Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/3/22 at 12:02pm

We should consider the December list on the website to be accurate. The list is usually set each summer.

If you're trying to eyeball the number of people who will actually be nominating, I'd subtract 4-5 more because nominators DO miss shows sometimes and have to recuse themselves. Paying work, family stuff, Omicron, etc. People like Brenda Braxton (currently in Chicago), Ann Harada (Fairycakes), Becky Baker, Kathleen Chalfant, and JoAnn Hunter have worked on stage or screen this season and might have been out of town for various shows.

I always love seeing the Nominating Committee list because it's such an eclectic group, and growing increasingly more diverse.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#9Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/3/22 at 12:35pm

As a sidenote: 

Sometimes when these announcements come out, it’s hard to process all the information right away because of the way they’re structured. You’re looking for what’s NOT there, as much as you’re looking for what IS there. So I made myself a little cheat-sheet so I can scan the announcement and interpret them immediately. Happy to share with others if anyone finds it helpful! 

I didn’t include every show because I assume most of them are pretty cut-and-dry, but let me know fi I missed any of the ones that are in question at all! 

Some rulings to be on the lookout for: 
--AMERICAN BUFFALO – actor placements – everyone above the title
Actors NOT mentioned = leading

--FUNNY GIRL – actor placements – Feldstein, Grimes, Lynch, and Karimloo above the title
Karimloo NOT mentioned = leading

--THE MINUTES actor placements – no one above the title
Actors NOT mentioned = supporting

--POTUS actor placements – no one above the title

--SKIN OF OUR TEETH actor placements – no one above the title

--TAKE ME OUT actor placements – no one above the title

--PARADISE SQUARE – which/how many of the choreographers will be jointly eligible?  

EDIT: Fixed a typo from a copy/paste that I forgot to change. Thanks Dramamama! 

Updated On: 5/3/22 at 12:35 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#10Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/3/22 at 12:50pm

^you're welcome.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 5/3/22 at 12:50 PM

MayAudraBlessYou2
#11Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/3/22 at 1:16pm

I know for a fact Ann Harada will be casting votes for the nominees. I've run into her at several recent press performances, she's seen everything

OffOnBwayHi
#13Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/5/22 at 2:24pm

Great thread! Thanks for all these wonderful comments. I'm learning a lot.

Just looked at the nominating committee and am proud at how diverse it is! I'm Emilio Sosa, Kamilah Forbes, Martyna Majok, Jonathan McCrory, Daphne Ruben-Vega etc.... This is AMAZING! it is always like this?!

OffOnBwayHi
#14Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/5/22 at 2:30pm

ElephantLoveMedley said: "Here they are!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Tony-Awards-Administration-Committee-Makes-Final-Eligibility-Rulings-for-FUNNY-GIRL-A-STRANGE-LOOP-More-20220505
"

"Gabby Beans, James Vincent Meredith and Roslyn Ruff will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actress/Actor in a Leading Role in a Play categories, for their respective performances in The Skin of Our Teeth."

LET'S GO! gabby deserves, but rooting for them all

MrJNLong
#15Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/5/22 at 2:30pm

Has anyone now put together a comprehensive list of everyone eligible in the 4 categories of Lead Actor/Actress in a Play/Musical??

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#16Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/5/22 at 2:39pm

Damn. Was hoping Rockwell would be a lock in Featured Actor/Play for BUFFALO.

Leading is a much harder category to crack to this year

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#17Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/5/22 at 2:40pm

I think the two big "reveals" here are that Noah Reid and Jesse Williams will both be considered supporting. 

MrJNLong said: "Has anyone now put together a comprehensive list of everyone eligible in the 4 categories of Lead Actor/Actress in a Play/Musical??"

Yes, I've been keeping a running list all season long. Here it is: 

Lead/Musical/Actor
--Jay O. Sanders - Girl from the North Country 
--Rob McClure - Mrs. Doubtfire
--Hugh Jackman - Music Man
--Tony Yazbeck - Flying Over Sunset 
--Harry Hadden-Paton - Flying Over Sunset 
--Myles Frost - MJ
--Billy Crystal - Mr. Saturday Night 
--Jaquel Spivey - A Strange Loop
--Ramin Karimloo - Funny Girl 

Lead/Musical/Actress: 
--Sharon D. Clarke
--Beanie Feldstien 
--Katrina Lenk 
--Sutton Foster 
--Jeanna de Waal 
--Mare Winningham
--Carmen Cusack
--Joaquina Kulakango 
--Jenn Gambatese 
--All SIX Actors

Lead/Play/Actor
--Laurence Fishburne - American Buffalo 
--Sam Rockwell - American Buffalo
–David Threlfall - Hangmen
--David Morse - How I Learned to Drive
--Ruben Santiago-Hudson - Lackawanna Blues 
--Simon Russell Beale - Lehman
--Adrian Lester - Lehman
--Adam Godley - Lehman
--Daniel Craig - Macbeth 
--Jon Michael Hill - Pass Over 
--Namir Smallwood - Pass Over 
--Matthew Broderick - Plaza Suite 
--James Vincent Meredith - Skin of Our Teeth

Lead/Play/Actress
--Debora Messing - Birthday Candles
–Ebony Marshall-Oliver - Chicken & Biscuits
--Diedre O’Connell - Dana H
--Cleo King - Chicken and Biscuits 
--Mary-Louise Parker - How I Learned to Drive
--Emily Davis - Is This a Room 
--Ruth Negga - Macbeth
--Sarah Jessica Parker - Plaza Suite 
--Gaby Beans - Skin of Our Teeth
--Roslyn Ruff - Skin of Our Teeth
--LaChanze - Trouble in Mind 

Updated On: 5/5/22 at 02:40 PM

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#18Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/5/22 at 2:43pm

Looks like the only real surprise is Jesse Williams going featured. For those who know the show, how appropriate is that placement? I know he’s supposed to be the main guy, but it is enough of an ensemble effort that this placement is valid? I know when Daniel Sunjata did the role he was nominated at the Tonys as a featured actor while Drama Desk and Outer Critics had him up as a lead. Muddying up my view is Patrick J. Adams was also talked about as potentially going lead for this production and was nominated in that category by Outer Critics Circle.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#19Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/5/22 at 2:47pm

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure said: "Looks like the only real surprise is Jesse Williams going featured. For those who know the show, how appropriate is that placement? I know he’s supposed to be the main guy, but it is enough of an ensemble effort that this placement is valid? I know when Daniel Sunjata did the role he was nominated at the Tonys as a featured actor while Drama Desk and Outer Critics had him up as a lead. Muddying up my view is Patrick J. Adams was also talked about as potentially going lead for this production and was nominated in that category by Outer Critics Circle."

I could've seen it go either way, personally. His character is at the heart of the play; the main focal point around which every happens. And he gets quite a lot of stage time on top of that. But I think the reason he could be seen as supporting is because there's a sense that it's a group storytelling effort, and his is not the lens through which the story is being told. We have several other people narrating ABOUT him, acting and reacting to the events that surround him. 

I think personally, I would've put him in lead. But I'm not surprised that it was on the border between the two categories. 

MayAudraBlessYou2
#20Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/5/22 at 2:50pm

I would personally argue that Jesse Williams' character is Lead but I can see the argument for the whole ensemble in featured. The whole plot revolves around Jesse/Darren.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#21Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/5/22 at 2:53pm

So Billy Crystal's performance is eligible for Mr. Saturday Night even though he did the same role in the film? Has this happened before with a film to musical adaptation?

MrJNLong
#22Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/5/22 at 2:56pm

Thank you so much for the list, JBroadway!

Ya, the Take Me Out (lack of) ruling is surprising to me. I would have thought both Adams and Williams would have gone to lead. Huh. Also excited to see Gabby Beans in lead although I think she would have been a lock in featured...this might be a little more difficult to break into...

Over all, both Play lists are shorter than I would have thought they would be...

MrJNLong
#23Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/5/22 at 3:03pm

Also, that Best Actor in a Play list is fire.  I would be fine with any of those making the final list with the exception of Matthew Broderick. And probably Daniel Craig.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#24Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/5/22 at 3:04pm

MrJNLong said: "Thank you so much for the list, JBroadway!

My pleasure! :) 

Both Play lists are shorter than I would have thought they would be..."

One third (7 out of 21) of the plays do not have anyone eligible in the leading categories. And an additional 6 more of them have only one lead instead of two (though that's partly offset by a few plays with 3 leads). 

EDIT to comment on the post above: there is no rule that excludes people reprising their roles from a film. Just like there's no rule at the Oscars excluding people who star in a film adaptation after originating a role onstage. 

Updated On: 5/5/22 at 03:04 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#25Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?
Posted: 5/5/22 at 3:04pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "So Billy Crystal's performance is eligible for Mr. Saturday Night even though he did the same role in the film? Has this happened before with a film to musical adaptation?"

Of course he's eligible. It's a different medium. Anthony Quinn in ZORBA, Lainie Kazan in MY FAVORITE YEAR, and Topol in FIDDLER come to mind.

Videos