pixeltracker

Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?- Page 5

Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#100Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/13/22 at 12:03am

hearthemsing22 said: "I don’t know how announcements usually work, but I have noticed we get theater news on Tuesdays and Thursdays? Maybe? Mostly? Just a random thought, so many Monday or Tuesday?"

Coincidental, thought below are two "old rules" that some people still follow:

– The Sunday Arts Section of the NYT goes to print on Wednesday and gets delivered early to theatre offices & ad agencies. So if you're buying an ad in the Times to announce something, you need to announce before then.

– Thursday is the most desirable night to open a Broadway show because Friday has a bigger newspaper circulation.

I don't remember this much hooplah about a Broadway transfer since the FOLLIES revival in 2011 (and at least there's no red dress involved with this one)...or maybe WOODS in the Park in 2012 when every piece of casting was dissected and people waited with bated breath for a transfer announcement.

Updated On: 5/13/22 at 12:03 AM

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#101Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/14/22 at 12:15am

Jmuep2 said: "I don’t know anything about the transfer, but I do know Heather won’t be available if it happens."

The plot thickens……I heard something about the Broadway transfer announcement happening Sunday after the curtain call.

Updated On: 5/14/22 at 12:15 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#102Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 2:20pm

Do we think they make the announcement after today's show?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

KathyNYC2
#103Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 2:40pm

I did read Sara B’s post on Instagram today about this being her last show and how much this experience meant to her. That doesn’t sound like she would be transferring but who knows. 

KathyNYC2
#104Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?

Apologies. 

Updated On: 5/15/22 at 02:40 PM

KathyNYC2
#105Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?

Seriously????  

KathyNYC2
#106Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?

Apologies again. This is ridiculous. 

KathyNYC2
#107Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#108Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 3:12pm

I mean, I doubt she'd be able to speak about the transfer until it's announced. But if she's not available, Heather H isn't available, and NPH isn't, then what's the point? It's the cast, not the production, that people are raving about.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#109Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 3:40pm

It looked like Denee accidentally kicked one of her shoes off into the audience, was that what happened?

Jordan Catalano
#110Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 3:40pm

It looked like Denee accidentally kicked one of her shoes off into the audience, was that what happened?

joshdog2014
#111Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 4:15pm

If this does transfer and submit for Tony’s would Kennedy Kanagawa be eligible? Would he have a real shot at being nominated? Is there any precedent of a puppeteer being nominated for an acting Tony?

spicemonkey
#112Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 4:32pm

joshdog2014 said: "If this does transfer and submit for Tony’s would Kennedy Kanagawa be eligible? Would he have a real shot at being nominated? Is there any precedent of a puppeteer being nominated for an acting Tony?"

curious about the same thing

Kanagawa did a great job  

binau Profile Photo
binau
#113Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 4:36pm

If Heather is unavailable can Donna Murphy have another shot?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

KathyNYC2
#114Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 4:48pm

RippedMan said: "I mean, I doubt she'd be able to speak about the transfer until it's announced. But if she's not available, Heather H isn't available, and NPH isn't, then what's the point? It's the cast, not the production, that people are raving about."

I doubt it also but no ones forcing her to write a goodby post either. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#115Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 5:11pm

Valid. And with the Doubtfire closing, I feel like this is going to transfer. But, then, seem odd that the "names" aren't transferring. 

Jordan Catalano
#116Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 5:11pm

No curtain call transfer announcement. 

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#117Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 5:15pm

THE F*CK???

Updated On: 5/15/22 at 05:15 PM

spicemonkey
#118Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 5:16pm

binau said: "If Heather is unavailable can Donna Murphy have another shot?"

THIS!!

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#119Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 5:20pm

I had also wondered before about Tony eligibility for Kennedy Kanagawa, and there doesn’t appear to be any kind of rule that would bar him from an acting nomination. If John Tartaglia and Stephanie D’Abruzzo could receive nods for their puppeteering in Avenue Q, then I don’t see why he couldn’t.

And Kanagawa really would deserve it. He makes Milky White feel so alive and full of emotion. He makes the cow so endearing, his comic timing is perfect, and his facial expressions and body language show him acting beyond just controlling the puppet. I’d love to see him nominated in Featured Actor alongside Gavin Creel.

Funnily enough, the Oliviers just recently recognized the group of puppeteers playing the tiger Richard Parker for Life of Pi as Featured Actor. Of course, unlike Kennedy, that would never be allowed at the Tonys on account of it being a group, and not a single person. In the likely event of that show transferring, I’m sure we’ll again see a special award given out.

joshdog2014
#120Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 5:31pm

I think an argument could be made that Avenue Q is different since they are playing full characters including singing and speaking, whereas Kanagawa is “just” a puppeteer. But I really hope he would be eligible and nominated!

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#121Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 5:35pm

Well now I see after I just wrote all about how Kennedy Kanagawa would be eligible for and deserving of Tony love if this moved to Broadway, it’s possible this isn’t moving to Broadway after all.

Really hope that’s not the case, I’ll be pretty peeved if so after all the incredible confidence that it would move. But the lack of an announcement at this time doesn’t mean it can’t come later.

With the rumors around several actors having scheduling issues, maybe they thought it wasn’t worth it without them, or maybe they’re trying to plan around that, whether finding suitable replacements or seeing about another time to transfer the show.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#122Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 5:42pm

In the past, with Patti's Gypsy and Finian's Rainbow, when were the transfers announced in relation to the City Center runs? Maybe that will give a better indication of when we could expect an official announcement.

Jordan Catalano
#123Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 5:55pm

That was a really spectacular performance today. Sara and Neil obviously made a real connection. There were lots of extra hugs and kisses after "It Takes Two" and smiles of acknowledging each other in that "Final Performance" kind of way. Neil's line today with the fake Milky White was "She sounds just like your Rapunzel" and was enough to make me love him for the rest of my life. 

Whether the show transfers or not, I'm just still on cloud 9 getting to see THIS production, the way the show should be done and it makes up for whatever the hell those other two shows this season were. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#124Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 5:56pm

FANtomFollies said: "In the past, with Patti's Gypsy and Finian's Rainbow, when were the transfers announced in relation to the City Center runs? Maybe that will give a better indication of when we could expect an official announcement."

As I said earlier in this thread re: announcing onstage, if the full principal cast ISN'T moving to Broadway, it would be really really weird to announce the transfer onstage. If Bareilles is out, there is no reason to move the show; she is THE key ingredient here as the primary ticket-seller. A different principal cast would make this quite a different production. We've seen 3 NYC productions of ITW this century with some bad casting choices (Bway revival, the Park, Fiasco/Roundabout), and this is far and away the best-cast of the four.

Unless City Center is producing this itself (ala The Kennedy Center and FOLLIES) –– which is HIGHLY unlikely –– it's going to be at the discretion of whichever commercial producer is producing the Broadway transfer to announce after the deals are closed with actors/director/theatre/etc. Of course, a press release could still drop today or tomorrow. Or in a few weeks. Or never.

FWIW, today NYCC posted: "Until we meet in the woods again… best to take the moment present as a present for the moment"

Updated On: 5/15/22 at 05:56 PM