pixeltracker

Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?

Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#1Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 11:03am

So I heard a rumor that Encore's Into the Woods to set to transfer to the St. James for an 8 week run beginning in late June with the only person not joining the Broadway run being Neil Patrick Harris. Any validity to this?

I have heard nothing but great things about the production, but its been less than 7 years since the Fiasco Theater company's production, and 10 since the Regent Park's production played at the Delacorte, let alone the fact that its done constantly by regional, community, and high school theaters, so is there really enough demand to sustain a Broadway run? 

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#2Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 11:07am

This was discussed in the Encores group and I think there was a post or two that leaked this info. People said Christian Borle will be replacing (the replacement for him) NPH. This is a bit weird to me since Christian not only is currently in a show but is starting a new one in August meaning he probably couldn't do the whole run of ITW.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 11:09am

I saw last night this is being discussed in the Encores thread. I PRAY this is true. A production of the show without the insane edits done throughout the years, just the show as it should be, is heaven to me. And although seeing it again without NPH will be sad (he was just perfect), I'm sure Borle will be wonderful, as well. For someone like me who could (and has) written almost essay length diatribes about my problems with almost ever production after the OBC, I walked away from the show last night with quibbles so minor they're not even worth mentioning because I feel like I got my wish. If the transfer is actually real, I will see it so many times it's not even funny. With Encores, a possible Broadway extension and the new Terry Gilliam production in the UK I'm seeing in a few months, it's a good summer for my favorite show!

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#4Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 11:21am

It’s happening. You can obviously take it with a grain of salt since I’m no one to y’all, but it’s more than a rumor.

Jordan Catalano
#5Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 11:22am

ColorTheHours048 said: "It’s happening. You can obviously take it with a grain of salt since I’m no one to y’all, but it’s more than a rumor."

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#6Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 11:33am

ColorTheHours048 said: "It’s happening. You can obviously take it with a grain of salt since I’m no one to y’all, but it’s more than a rumor."

I wonder if they'll be keeping those cute little $275.00 ticket prices. 

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#7Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 11:37am

Matt Rogers said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "It’s happening. You can obviously take it with a grain of salt since I’m no one to y’all, but it’s more than a rumor."

"

That’s a pretty normal average premium ticket price (if a little “cheap&rdquoEncores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?, so I would imagine they will be.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#8Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 11:51am

Matt Rogers said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "It’s happening. You can obviously take it with a grain of salt since I’m no one to y’all, but it’s more than a rumor."

"

I mean, if you think they’re transferring to a short commercial run for humanitarian purposes, you’d be mistaken. It’s a money move; it just happens to be a very intelligent money move. There will be affordable tickets, but it’s Broadway, so there will also be many overpriced seats and they’ll sell like hotcakes.

OhHiii
#9Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 11:53am

Christian Borle may have had Broadway first refusal in his original contract regardless of if he participated at Encores. Stranger things have happened. 

52889j
#10Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 12:04pm

There's obviously no way this is going to become lavish (design-wise) with the turn around but I do hope they can dress it up at least a little bit. 

Jordan Catalano
#11Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 12:09pm

^ Better costumes would be a big help, too. 

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#12Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 12:12pm

Yeah the costumes are sweet, but a lot of them could be spruced up a bit. Gavin’s Wolf look is perfect though.

OhHiii
#13Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 12:50pm

Imagine they'll enhance the design elements a bit, but it won't be a total departure. The Sunday revival notched those elements up a bit for that transfer from the Encores run that was a few months prior.

barcelona20
#14Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 12:57pm

I just don't see this having that strong of a demand past the 2 weeks at Encores, but we shall see...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#15Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 1:02pm

OhHiii said: "Imagine they'll enhance the design elements a bit, but it won't be a total departure. The Sunday revival notched those elements up a bit for that transfer from the Encores run that was a few months prior."

Yep, they splurged on the extravagant chromolume design. I’d imagine something similar with the giant could happen here. 

OhHiii
#16Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 1:06pm

ljay889 said: "OhHiii said: "Imagine they'll enhance the design elements a bit, but it won't be a total departure. The Sunday revival notched those elements up a bit for that transfer from the Encores run that was a few months prior."

Yep, they splurged on the extravagant chromolume design. I’d imagine something similar with the giant could happen here.
"

The way the giant has been handled at Encores has garnered a lot of praise and contributes to the storybook treatment of the story, so while the most obvious it may be left alone.

The chromolume, while cool, wasn't worth the sweltering heat that it created in that theatre that hung in the air for the entire second act thereafter lol.

latitudex1 Profile Photo
latitudex1
#17Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 1:06pm

OhHiii said: "Christian Borle may have had Broadway first refusal in his original contract regardless of if he participated at Encores. Stranger things have happened."

Interesting!

OhHiii
#18Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 1:10pm

Worth noting that Cindy Adams noted today that this may go to the Sondheim...which...doesn't seem implausible given the current tenant. Though this article is....a lot.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/10/tony-awards-declining-just-like-broadway-originals/

FWIW, The Piano Lesson has already taken residence on the St. James marquee. Not that that means much, but it's something.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#19Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 1:22pm

A marquee being put up and taken down has already happened this season with Macbeth's move to the Longacre to make room for A Strange Loop.

JSquared2
#20Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 1:28pm

OhHiii said: "Christian Borle may have had Broadway first refusal in his original contract regardless of if he participated at Encores. Stranger things have happened."

What contract?  He didn't end up doing it at Encores, so even if her had a ROFR in his Encores  deal -- he didn't fulfill the contract so nothing in it would apply. Why would you think it did?

OhHiii
#21Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 1:33pm

JSquared2 said: "OhHiii said: "What contract? He didn't end up doing it at Encores, so even if her had a ROFR in his Encores deal -- he didn't fulfill the contract so nothing in it would apply. Why would you think it did?"

It's not unheard of to have a standing Broadway offer tied to an off-broadway or out of town tryout even if they don't do the run. Those things can be separate. Kelli O'Hara didn't do Bridges of Madison County at Williamstown because she was pregnant, but she sure did on Broadway. I'm not saying that's what's happened here, but it is certainly possible.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#22Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 1:41pm

Am I being too optimistic to think that this could lead to new cast album???

JSquared2
#23Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 1:41pm

OhHiii said: "JSquared2 said: "OhHiii said: "What contract? He didn't end up doing it at Encores, so even if her had a ROFR in his Encores deal -- he didn't fulfill the contract so nothing in it would apply. Why would you think it did?"

It's not unheard of to have a standing Broadway offer tied to an off-broadway or out of town tryout even if they don't do the run. Those things can be separate. Kelli O'Hara didn't do Bridges of Madison County at Williamstown because she was pregnant, but she sure did on Broadway. I'm not saying that's what's happened here, but it is certainly possible.
"

Sorry, but you're sounding ridiculous.  

ivy3
#24Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 1:45pm

Alex M said: "This was discussed in the Encores group and I think there was a post or two that leaked this info. People said Christian Borle will be replacing (the replacement for him) NPH. This is a bit weird to me since Christian not only is currently in a show but is starting a new one in August meaning he probably couldn't do the whole run of ITW."

August? Some Like it Hot is starting the previews November 1st. Even if we assume a 8 week rehearsal period, they wouldn't start rehearsals until September. Schedule wise, he can definitely do a limited run of ITW during June, July, August. 

The only thing is he was rumored to return to LSOH until August (June- July). He will need to leave that to be able to do ITW. 

OhHiii
#25Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/11/22 at 1:48pm

JSquared2 said: "OhHiii said: "JSquared2 said: "OhHiii said: "What contract? He didn't end up doing it at Encores, so even if her had a ROFR in his Encores deal -- he didn't fulfill the contract so nothing in it would apply. Why would you think it did?"

"

Sorry, but you're sounding ridiculous.

"

Sure, Jan. My only point is that Borle could still have a standing offer for the role on Broadway since it's probably likely any commercial producer knew going in that NPH would likely be unavailable for longer a transfer. But sure.