pixeltracker

MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/9/22 at 4:10pm

Releases June 22 on digital platforms! Music and lyrics by Wayne Kirkpatrick and Karey Kirkpatrick

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 6/9/22 at 04:10 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/9/22 at 4:14pm

Track listing:

• ACT I
  • 1. What’s Wrong With This Picture
  • 2. I Want To Be There
  • 3. Make Me a Woman
  • 4. What the Hell
  • 5. Mr. Jolly Theme
  • 6. Easy Peasy
  • 7. I’m Rockin’ Now

• ACT II
  • 8. The Shape of Things To Come
  • 9. Big Fat No
  • 10. Let Go
  • 11. The Mess I’ve Made
  • 12. She’s Happy
  • 13. You’ve Been Playing With Fire
  • 14. Welcome To La Rosa
  • 15. He Lied To Me
  • 16. Just Pretend
  • 17. As Long As There Is Love (Part 1)
  • 18. As Long As There Is Love (Part 2)

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 6/9/22 at 04:14 PM

flord10
#3MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/21/22 at 9:40am

Been trying to access using New Zealand VPN as I usually do the day before cast recordings release, but this one does not seem to be available for some reason. Has anyone had any luck?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#4MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/21/22 at 10:02am

*see below…

Updated On: 6/21/22 at 10:02 AM

flord10
#5MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/21/22 at 10:11am

Were you able to get it?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#6MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/21/22 at 12:50pm

That album cover is unofficial fan art originating from a poster on DeviantArt.

As for the release delay, the 6/22 release date never made sense as new cast albums are generally released on Friday not Wednesday. It’s not unheard of for albums to drop on different days but it’s not common.

flord10
#7MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/21/22 at 12:56pm

I thought the same thing, but Ghostlight Records has reaffirmed the 22nd multiple times and I’ve seen a few cast members post about the album releasing Wednesday within the last couple days. I guess we’ll see if it drops at midnight EST.

BrodyFosse123
#8MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/21/22 at 1:02pm

Here is the official artwork.  Recording will be a Spotify Exclusive which is why no info is anywhere to be found and why it hasn’t leaked in advance like other cast recordings have in the past.  

flord10
#9MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/21/22 at 1:08pm

Ah that makes sense. I was trying to use the VPN+YouTube Music trick I’ve used for many past cast recordings. Thanks for clearing things up!

multimattvids
#10MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/21/22 at 3:47pm

I've been waiting months to have "What The Hell" on Spotify, so I'm excited!

Shubert Alley Cat Profile Photo
Shubert Alley Cat
#11MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/21/22 at 5:21pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Here is the official artwork. Recording will be a Spotify Exclusive which is why no info is anywhere to be found and why it hasn’t leaked in advance like other cast recordings have in the past."

What does Spotify exclusive mean?  Can I still get this recording on iTunes tomorrow?

BrodyFosse123
#12MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/21/22 at 6:08pm

Shubert Alley Cat said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "Here is the official artwork. Recording will be a Spotify Exclusive which is why no info is anywhere to be found and why it hasn’t leaked in advance like other cast recordings have in the past."

What does Spotify exclusive mean? Can I still get this recording on iTunes tomorrow?
"

Good question.  Seems unlikely as ALL links available, both via the show and Ghostlight Records are solely for Spotify.  Zero mentions of it being available on other download services.

https://fpt.fm/app/33968/mrs-doubtfire-the-musical/spotify?autoprompt=true

Updated On: 6/21/22 at 06:08 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#13MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/22/22 at 12:00am

It's out now! Thoughts below, everybody. 

Oh look, a bibu!

multimattvids
#14MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/22/22 at 1:44am

Overall it's fun but, pretty hit or miss.

Enjoyed these songs:

"What's Wrong With This Picture"

"I Want To Be There"

"What The Hell"

"I'm Rockin' Now"

"Big Fat No"

"He Lied To Me"

"As Long As There Is Love, Pt 2"

flord10
#15MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/22/22 at 9:42am

Random thought, but I never realized how light the first act is on musical numbers until I listened to this this morning. 7 songs, one of which is the short little joke theme for Mr. Jolly and one of which is the tap number.

joshdog2014
#16MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/22/22 at 9:58am

Wait… how did they not record the time telling rap?? That’s a shame

Fordham2015
#17MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/22/22 at 10:16am

Like the show, this cast recording is aggressively mediocre.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#18MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/22/22 at 11:35am

Mrs. Doubtfire was my first Broadway show back after the shutdown, and it was a nice time. I've been waiting a long, long time for this album and I liked it more than I thought I would. Having seen an early preview, it feels good to hear the finished product. The expanded orchestrations sound fantastic... bravo Ethan Popp and Matthew Smedal. 

With Something Rotten!, the Kirkpatricks showed me they were both passionate and knowledgeable in the art of writing a Broadway score. Here, their genre versatility is on full display. They fare best with standard pop-rock smooth sailing, but they also sprinkle in a couple of angsty throat-busters, a tap-happy delight, a few heartfelt ballads, a disco-infused number, and even a steamy Spanish flamenco. 

So glad the "Katie" letter was included towards the end. An emotional moment. 

Most of the cast delights once again. McClure and Scarpaci are the standouts, as they were on stage. 

My only qualms with this album: why did they include "Mr. Jolly Theme" and "She's Happy" but not the loop machine freestyle rap? Also, Jake Ryan Flynn sounds way too old for his role (and his excessive Auto-Tune doesn't help matters); Christopher should have been recast before previews resumed last October. 

"Let Go" has a different hook since I got to see it, and I prefer the Seattle / pre-shutdown iteration. 

Overall, a solid recording. Congrats to all who worked on the Broadway production... here's to a long national / international future with this title. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 6/22/22 at 11:35 AM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#19MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/22/22 at 11:38am

joshdog2014 said: "Wait… how did they not record the time telling rap?? That’s a shame"

Right?! That was seriously the first (and only) song I looked for when this dropped.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

rattleNwoolypenguin
#20MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/22/22 at 11:54am

Just listened to the recording.

Meh. I thought Something Rotten had better tunes from this team.

I want Rob McClure to have his moment in something GREAT so badly. He keeps being the thing that elevates mediocre material.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#21MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/22/22 at 11:59am

Fordham2015 said: "Like the show, this cast recording is aggressively mediocre."

Have to agree. Without the flash and showmanship behind each number, the score cannot stand on it's own legs and, if I hadn't seen it twice, I would find no real through-line of plot through the score itself.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#22MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/22/22 at 5:22pm

Was there an Overture? I’m not a fan of the way the album abruptly begins with dialogue.

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#23MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/22/22 at 10:38pm

CATSNYrevival said: "Was there an Overture? I’m not a fan of the way the album abruptly begins with dialogue."

Agree. Which is weird because I definitely remember an overture?

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#24MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/23/22 at 10:24am

Especially in "What the Hell?", does anyone else think the youngest daughter sounds like she's played by Kimiko Glenn as Dawn from Waitress?!

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

MattieIce2018
#25MRS. DOUBTFIRE Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/24/22 at 11:07pm

DiscoCrows said: "CATSNYrevival said: "Was there an Overture? I’m not a fan of the way the album abruptly begins with dialogue."

Agree. Which is weird because I definitely remember an overture?
"

I vaguely remember seeing something about a new overture being implemented before the re-opening in April, but before that, the show opened with the orchestra playing Largo al Factotum, the aria from The Barber of Seville that opened the movie. In the pre-pandemic iteration, this led into Rob singing a parody of the aria about pizza rolls for a commercial and getting fired. Post-shutdown (at least as of the first preview, the last time I saw the show), the curtain came up to Natalie listening to the song in her headphones (with audio from the film of Robin Williams singing the first few lines). Then the whole family gathers in the living room to take a family picture and Daniel breaks the photographer's camera (What's Wrong With This Picture?).

Updated On: 6/24/22 at 11:07 PM