pixeltracker

COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022- Page 8

COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#175COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/13/22 at 2:42pm

jimmycurry01 said: "David10086 said: "TaffyDavenport said: "There are 30 seats left for Company's final show and hundreds left for Funny Girl.I doubt that the people who haven't already bought for Company and end up spending $299-329 for it even have Beanie's last show on their radar, so it really won't be a choice between just those two shows. The question is kind of pointless."

If the question is "kind of pointless", why waste your time in answering - twice ?
"

Probably because your response indicated that you misunderstood their response to you the first time.

"

SO if the question was pointless from my original post why even bother to answer the first time ? 

chrishuyen
#176COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/14/22 at 12:23am

Just went for another round this week, and I'm now regretting not jumping on closing night tickets earlier.  I agree with the point made about Bobby Conte--I was never a huge fan of his interpretation but something about this latest time I saw it just seemed different and it really worked (though still not necessarily my favorite version).  Jeff Kready was also a delight, just such a warm presence that feels quite different from Chris Fitzgerald.  And Patti LuPone was absolutely on fire, holding out the last note of Ladies Who Lunch longer than I've ever heard it, she had the audience eating out the palm of her hand the entire song.

I took a friend who didn't know the show at all going into it, and I was quite gratified to hear how much she loved it as well, and at intermission she mentioned that she thought Katrina Lenk was a great singer but wasn't sure about her as an actor, which I don't think anyone else has other said (though she did revise that opinion in act 2 once she could kind of see the character arc Bobbie takes).  And at least to my ears, Katrina's singing gets better every time I see her.  It's really a shame that the full version of her Being Alive isn't professionally recorded (and it seems the performance she did on Seth Meyers has been taken down).

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#177COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/14/22 at 2:23am

Just got closing night ticket!  I was supposed to see this show before the shut down, and then before the Omicron outbreak, so glad I finally get to see it.  Only ORCH-C seats they had were pretty far behind, does the overhang ruin the view at all? I've never been to a Broadway closing night - so excited! 

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#178COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/14/22 at 3:21am

I'm coming to NY next week for my birthday and it's my first time seeing Broadway after COVID so can't be more excited to ruminate on life and modernity with Bobbie lol.

Updated On: 7/14/22 at 03:21 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#179COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/14/22 at 4:45am

Katrina's smokey vocals in 'Someone is Waiting' especially the line 'HandsomEEEEEEE Larry, wait for me, I'll hurry" are just so expressive and cool. No one else has ever done it like it and perhaps no one ever will again! 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

KFC1991
#180COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/14/22 at 5:33am

David10086 said: "jimmycurry01 said: "

SO if the question was pointless from my original post why even bother to answer the first time ?
"

If the question was pointless, why even bother stating it? 

Laurapattifan Profile Photo
Laurapattifan
#181COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/14/22 at 8:33am

Marlothom said: "Just got closing night ticket! I was supposed to see this show before the shut down, and then before the Omicron outbreak, so glad I finally get to see it. Only ORCH-C seats they had were pretty far behind, does the overhang ruin the view at all? I've never been to a Broadway closing night - so excited!"

You’ll be good. From what I remember some of the proscenium gets cut off but none of the show itself. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#182COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/14/22 at 9:35am

Marlothom said: "Just got closing night ticket! I was supposed to see this show before the shut down, and then before the Omicron outbreak, so glad I finally get to see it. Only ORCH-C seats they had were pretty far behind, does the overhang ruin the view at all? I've never been to a Broadway closing night - so excited!"

This is from row N:

DearTheodosia
#183COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/14/22 at 11:51am

binau said: "Katrina's smokey vocals in 'Someone is Waiting' especially the line 'HandsomEEEEEEE Larry, wait for me, I'll hurry" are just so expressive and cool. No one else has ever done it like it and perhaps no one ever will again!"

Have you seen the Tiny Desk performance? I love her version of the song on that.

Dancingthrulife2
#184COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/16/22 at 5:59pm

Finally saw the production I've waited for over three years. Overall I think it's an amazing production with great humor (maybe too much for reasons I'll talk about later) and an incredibly talented cast. I understand why people who are familiar with the material find Lenk's vocals somewhat underwhelming, but personally I find her take on Bobbie fresh and on-point with the concept of this production, which indeed pays off in her very special and sublime rendition of Being Alive. This production's Bobbie is clearly inspired by "the girls who just watch," and goes all out from there. Compared with the usual takes on Bobbie/Bobby, Lenk's is a neurotic one from the very beginning, which also makes it clear that this play takes place in Bobby's mind instead of in real life places. Each encounter/episode, then, is also exaggerated more than usual to reflect Bobbie's own anxiety. As she travels from room to room, you can feel she gets increasingly more neurotic and unstable, and she finally comes undone before Patti's incredibly touching Joanne. While in most productions Being Alive is this 11 o'clock number of emotional catharsis, in this production it feels more like Bobbie's journey to come to terms with herself and piece herself back together, where finally the "but" in "but alone is alone, not alive" makes the most sense. I love how she does not belt out the final note like Raul or Dean Jones does but instead gives it a does of newfound confidence that makes it even more impactful. Lenk really should get the Tony nom and win for what she does with this role but oh well. My qualm about the excessive amount of humor, which makes the show fun and it's good, is that in act 2 it starts to feel distracting. I love Patti, but some moments of comedic relief after Ladies Who Lunch stop the show and let it hang there in the middle while Bobbie is going downhill with her on the brink of an emotional breakdown. 

I also like how they dialed most of their clocks to 3:05 signifying it's Bobbie's 35th birthday and not "real," but one clock is dialed to 3:10 if I saw it correctly. Maybe an error?

Finally to the gentleman who sat next to me and who dared to hum during Patti singing Ladies Who Lunch and other songs, I'm grateful that your lungs couldn't get you through Getting Married Today.

Updated On: 7/16/22 at 05:59 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#185COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/16/22 at 6:54pm

Was also there this afternoon. Everyone has dialed up their comedy in spades for sure, eliciting a lot more laughs than the five times I’ve seen it previously. Patti went almost full camp at the end (including the high note) and the audience ATE IT UP. This was also my first time seeing Jeff Kready and I thought his portrayal of David was far less goofy than Fitzgerald, but he found subtler moments for sure.

My only issue is Bobby Conte - I feel like he is vocally worse every time I see the show. It’s like he’s incapable of just singing the damn song and instead goes off on so many unnecessary vocal flourishes that it seems almost amateurish (when I can hear him).

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Dancingthrulife2
#186COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/17/22 at 12:45am

quizking101 said: "Was also there this afternoon. Everyone has dialed up their comedy in spades for sure, eliciting a lot more laughs than the five times I’ve seen it previously. Patti went almost full camp at the end (including the high note) and the audience ATE IT UP. This was also my first time seeing Jeff Kready and I thought his portrayal of David was far less goofy than Fitzgerald, but he found subtler moments for sure.

My only issue is Bobby Conte - I feel like he is vocally worse every time I see the show. It’s like he’s incapable of just singing the damn song and instead goes off on so many unnecessary vocal flourishes that it seems almost amateurish (when I can hear him).
"

Good to hear! I'm going again in a few days so I'm looking forward to a potentially more serious tone. I think Conte did a reasonable job interpreting the song but the performance I saw was leagues worse than the recordings of him singing that they posted on social media, which were much more textured and nuanced than this hot-headed hipster-wannabe take. I was also surprised by how bland the scene between Theo  and Bobbie was. Manu Narayan's Theo felt somewhat robotic and lacked the much needed chemistry for the scene to pack a punch.

DearTheodosia
#187COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/17/22 at 1:09am

"I also like how they dialed most of their clocks to 3:05 signifying it's Bobbie's 35th birthday and not "real," but one clock is dialed to 3:10 if I saw it correctly. Maybe an error?"

I noticed that, too!

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#188COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/17/22 at 1:16am

I love this show and this production but I actually think Bobby Conte was better pre-pandemic. Now his PJ feels forced, over the top, and false and the vocal dynamics are all over the place and seem to serve no purpose really.  And I agree about Manu as Theo. Theo is an adult man who has chosen his path but now it’s played like he is an earnest little boy. Why is he tripping over his words etc…

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#189COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/18/22 at 1:05pm

Only get to see a few shows and this did not disappoint.  However. I like it in its original form better.

Stephanatic

JasonC3
#190COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/18/22 at 4:35pm

Selling one ticket (PDF) for the July 20th 2 p.m. matinee.

Front center mezzanine; one seat on the aisle, C114.

Paid $145 with fees. Asking $75 via Zelle.

For fastest response, mail me directly at jc-web@mail.com if interested.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#191COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/19/22 at 6:37pm

I first saw COMPANY on opening night in 1970, and was properly blown away. Yes, I knew Sondheim's genius from FORUM and WHISTLE, but no, was not prepared for this. I was all of 21, and certainly didn't get the whole show, but I kept going back to see it (always preferred Dean Jones to a too-slick Larry Kert), and have spent many, many nights of my life watching the show. The original was best (the London production with Adrian Lester the worst, followed by the mess made by John Doyle), and I also loved the Barrington Stage one some years ago, with a spectacular Aaron Tveit. And the 20th-year reunion concert at Lincoln Center was breathtaking, and Dean Jones blew the roof off the Beaumont with his "Being Alive."

And somehow, through my slight acquaintance with Sondheim via the NYC Gay Men's Chorus (where he gave us leave to do any and all of his work royalty-free), he allowed me to produce a two-week, fully staged production of COMPANY some years ago off-Broadway, as a benefit for BC/EFA. Yeah, one of the highlights of my life.

And yes, I loved this current production (which I also saw in London pre-pandemic) and wish I could be there for the closing, but grateful that i got back to NYC in time.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#192COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/19/22 at 9:10pm

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

JasonC3
#193COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/20/22 at 8:03am

JasonC3 said: "Selling one ticket (PDF) for the July 20th 2 p.m. matinee.

Front center mezzanine; one seat on the aisle, C114.

Paid $145 with fees. Asking $75 via Zelle.

For fastest response, mail me directly at jc-web@mail.com if interested.
"

SOLD. Ticket no longer available.

Updated On: 7/20/22 at 08:03 AM

spicemonkey
#194COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/21/22 at 9:38pm

do we think Marianne Elliott would show up in the theater in the final performance(s)? 

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#195COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/23/22 at 5:58am

Last night’s audience was enthusiastic. LuPone camped up the club scene and the crowd adored it. The boyfriend trio gave strange performances. I’m not sure what to make of them. Doyle stayed grounded. His scene is one of the few human moments in a cartoonish production.

Lenk has built a complex inner monologue for her Bobby. It’s far enough from the text that it’s hard to follow. “Marry Me a Little” ended so intensely that “Being Alive” was anti-climactic. 

It felt like going to a dinner party with a table full of appetizers. The lack of a meal was disappointing but I still left feeling full.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 7/23/22 at 05:58 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#196COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/23/22 at 6:38am

What I like about Katrina’s ‘big 3’ songs is that they are each very distinctive performances and each a little play/arc within each song (unlike Rosalie Craig). As mentioned above ‘Someone is Waiting’ is so cool and reflective, almost hypnotic. ‘Marry Me a Little’ is much more desperate and anxious (the rain helped). ‘Being Alive’ is an introspective journey - the climax is that after going through and reflecting on it all, it tears her apart until she has the strength and confidence to know what she wants (that last note ALIVEEEEE. Wow!). Personally, I don’t think Katrina has anything to apologise for either acting wise or vocally. It’s one of my fav Sondheim performances and I think it should be Tony nominated or even Tony winning in the right year. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 7/23/22 at 06:38 AM

ElephantLoveMedley
#197COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/23/22 at 10:22am

binau said: "What I like about Katrina’s ‘big 3’ songs is that they are each very distinctive performances and each a little play/arc within each song (unlike Rosalie Craig). As mentioned above ‘Someone is Waiting’ is so cool and reflective, almost hypnotic. ‘Marry Me a Little’ is much more desperate and anxious (the rain helped). ‘Being Alive’ is an introspective journey - the climax is that after going through and reflecting on it all, it tears her apart until she has the strength and confidence to know what she wants (that last note ALIVEEEEE. Wow!). Personally, I don’t think Katrina has anything to apologise for either acting wise or vocally. It’s one of my fav Sondheim performances and I think it should be Tony nominated or even Tony winning in the right year."

I love how you described all of this! Great commentary on her brilliant performance. 

Square Peg2
#198COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/23/22 at 5:24pm

So glad I returned to the show the other night before it closes. I saw it during previews and then once while Nikki Renée Daniels played Bobbi (and a host of other understudies). It was thrilling to see (and especially to hear!) how Lenk's performance has grown, and I agree with some other assessments - I recall being blow away by Conte during previews, less so this week.

I also wanted to come here and give a little shout out to Terrence Archie. Larry can be such a thankless role, and each time I've seen it Archie has been a presence that absolutely added to the piece. It must have been hard for them to find someone who could match LuPone with so little written material, and Archie is perfection.

Jeff Kready was also wonderful- a perfect example of what a swing can be, different to Fitzgerald but still completely charming and dropped in. Loved him.

Updated On: 7/23/22 at 05:24 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#199COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
Posted: 7/24/22 at 5:01am

I agree re: Terrence. The way that line (paraphrased if I’ve got it wrong) ‘When I get back, we’re leaving’ is delivered so well - to me it conveys so much subtext about the nature of their relationship and Joanne’s character. He lets Joanne be her ridiculous self/be awful and have her fun but knows when he needs to take control to look after her. You have to be a pretty strong presence to put Lupone’s Joanne in her place. I’m going to miss this revival so much. 

Updated On: 7/24/22 at 05:01 AM