pixeltracker

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout- Page 2

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#25A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/23/22 at 10:43am

I don't see any similarity to Escape to Margaritaville, at all. That wasn't a bio-musical.

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#26A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/23/22 at 10:52am

is the Barry Manilow bio musical next?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#27A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/23/22 at 11:03am

TaffyDavenport said: "All the things people are saying about a Neil Diamond musical could have been said about a Carole King musical, and that did alright for itself, didn't it?"

The big difference is that BEAUTIFUL ended up being an empowering, feel-good show for which the target audience was women ages 45+ –– which sits squarely in the key Broadway ticketbuying demographic. It's not a matter of knowing who the artist is; it's a matter of convincing people to care about seeing a story of Neil's life that he doesn't actually appear onstage in.

Of course, on paper, one could say the Janis Joplin musical should have had the same success as Beautiful because of those demographics. So who knows! The success of a jukebox musical is kind of like throwing spaghetti at the wall, and can also depend on the overall quality of the show + the season it opens in.

Updated On: 6/23/22 at 11:03 AM

rawrali
#28A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/23/22 at 1:04pm

quizking101 said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "SouthernCakes said: "Doesn’t seem like much buzz but it has a stacked team."

Well it's had one performance so give it a little time A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout I don't know that the Neil Diamond audience + Broadway audience is an ideal overlap, but the team gives me hope that this could be artful in the way that MJ is artful (tho imho MJ is a far superior songbook). And it appears Diamond will be game to promote the show.
"

I think the Neil Diamond/Broadway crossover audience is likely rather…aged. And if this is dropping in the late fall, it may be a hard sell to that crowd if COVID cases decide to go back up.

I can’t imagine many people under the age of 40 who would be clamoring to a Neil Diamond musical - especially since most of us only know Sweet Caroline and maybe a few others.
"

I am but one person, but I am 36 and grew up listening to Neil Diamond thanks to my mom. Including his Christmas albums, which always amused me, but hey, they made him money (to pay off that pricy divorce??). I still love his music. The song list looks great - if I can check this out I definitely will. More for the music than the actual story, I'm sure.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#29A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/23/22 at 1:32pm

I mean, it's hard to debate because I'd think a Cher musical would be a big fat hit, but it just depends on execution. 

Mamma Mia - as much as people hate it - remains the standard, to me. The story was engaging and the staging/direction was fun. 

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#30A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/23/22 at 3:40pm

I'm not a big fan of Neil Diamond. I'd call myself a casual fan. I like some of his stuff.

I think it's somewhat amusing and a little sad to read some of the opinions and thoughts about Diamond and A BEAUTIFUL NOISE here. His career has been one of the biggest in the music industry. He definitely has an audience and I would say it's bigger than Carole King's audience (Diamond has released approximately 42 albums to King's 22...but if you're a fan of either, they've both produced sizable catalogs).

When all is said and done, the show will either work or it won't...nobody knows right now. If it's bad, Diamond's legacy will go on...as will Cher's, Carole's, Tina's, Duke Ellington's, Fats Waller's, Buddy Holly's, Joplin's, Queen's, Lennon's, and all of the other artists that have had their catalogs musicalized on Broadway, the West End, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Diamond

P.S. Ripped Man wrote: "Mamma Mia - as much as people hate it - remains the standard, to me."

People did not hate Mamma Mia, many people on this board, past and present, may have hated it. It played 5,773 performances on Broadway. It was a great calling card for Broadway. When I finally relented and allowed myself to be dragged to the Winter Garden to see it, I had a FANTASTIC time and felt a little remiss for having avoided it for so long.

Dollypop
#31A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/23/22 at 5:09pm

In my teaching days a student gave ME a "graduation gift" of two tickets to a Neil Diamond concert at the Forest Hills Stadium. Of course he expected me to bring him along as my +1, which I did. 

I enjoyed the concert very much and have been a Neil Diamond semi-fan ever since.

I plan on seeing this show.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 6/23/22 at 05:09 PM

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#32A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/23/22 at 6:00pm

Anyone know of any rush/lotto policies for this in Boston? I have a very last minute trip this Saturday (flight attendant off standby) and potentially the opportunity to catch this.

rawrali
#33A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/23/22 at 6:16pm

Mark_E said: "Anyone know of any rush/lotto policies for this in Boston? I have a very last minute trip this Saturday (flight attendant off standby) and potentially the opportunity to catch this."

I could only find $25 student and veteran rush, but no general rush. Lucky Seat has a $39 lottery but it looks like the next available lottery to enter is for Monday's show.

TaffyDavenport
#34A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/23/22 at 6:20pm

Here's the lottery, but they're not drawing again until Monday:

https://www.luckyseat.com/dash/shows/abeautifulnoise-boston-2022Jun

Anotherdayofmadness
#35A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/23/22 at 11:24pm

Just got back from the 3rd preview. Went in with medium expectation and would probably rate it a solid B/B+. My mom (late 60s) and myself (early 30s) agreed the we would rank it just below Beautiful.

Will Swenson, Mark Jacoby and Robyn Hurder all give great performances. Robyn is particular gets some great solo numbers where she also gets to dance. The ensemble is great, really high energy. 

The audience was filled with people close to my moms age and they really loved it. I think this could run for a while if that crowd shows up in NYC.

SouthernCakes
#36A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/23/22 at 11:40pm

What’s the design / direction?

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#37A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/24/22 at 12:11am

A couple of friends of mine saw the show tonight. Their initial thoughts:

“To be honest it does need a little work. However, we both really enjoyed it. The audience loved it also. Will Swenson is incredible as Neil Diamond; can’t believe how much he sounded like Diamond!. The premise is a therapy session with flash backs of his life. Older Neil (Mark Jacoby) also did a great job but I think that’s the part that needs more work. I would love to see it again near the end of the run to see what’s been changed.”

Anotherdayofmadness
#38A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/24/22 at 12:40am

Agreed - I think the therapy parts work best at the beginning and end of the show but the middle could use some work. 

Design-wise

For most of the show the design is pretty simple, different colored backdrops with geometric panels that come in and out. Above are different ceiling lights from 60s/70s/80’s (like 20-30 different ones).Twice (maybe more) in Act 2 the backdrop is up to reveal the band on a 70s style set where Neil and the ensemble also perform. Jacoby and Powell sit in armchairs in the therapy sessions and are often in them watching the flashbacks.

Costumes are great, lots of glitter and sequins in Act 2.

SouthernCakes
#39A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/24/22 at 1:43am

I for on find therapy to be a boring narrative. And how does this cost that much? 

TaffyDavenport
#40A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/24/22 at 1:45pm

I think it's worth noting that a quick look at Telecharge shows that the advance ticket sales for A Beautiful Noise are significantly better than Almost Famous, Kimberly Akimbo, and Some Like It Hot in each of their first months, particularly the weekend matinees. For those performances, I'd say that it's sold more than the other three shows combined.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#41A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/24/22 at 9:00pm

TaffyDavenport said: "I think it's worth noting that a quick look at Telecharge shows that the advance ticket sales for A Beautiful Noise are significantly better than Almost Famous, Kimberly Akimbo, and Some Like It Hot in each of their first months, particularly the weekend matinees. For those performances, I'd say that it'ssold more than the other three shows combined."

TD is this all you do everyday and do you work for BroadwayWorld lol?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

SisterGeorge
#42A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/25/22 at 1:14pm

SouthernCakes said: "I for on find therapy to be a boring narrative. And how does this cost that much?"

It's way too soon for another therapy show after the tedious "Flying over Sunset."

Sister George

V2David
#43A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/26/22 at 12:30am

(Warning --- Numerous Spoilers!!!)

Saw the show Saturday, 6/25.  Let me preface this by stating I am a lifelong fan of Neil Diamond's music.  I agree with the general consensus so far.  I give the show a solid B.

First the good:  Will Swenson is excellent as Neil Diamond.  He has the right voice for the part and has down many of Neil's mannerisms.  Excellent casting.  The songs are (of course) great, and most transfer really well to a musical.  The most difficult thing for me was hearing other characters sing Neil's songs when I am most used to Neil singing them himself.  But it mostly works (with a single exception mentioned later).  The Older Neil casting is also spot on.

The Challenge:  The most challenging this about this show is that Neil Diamond didn't have the most interesting life (at least what I took out of it from the show).  There just isn't a ton of drama.  Not to give too much away, but his story as portrayed just isn't as interesting as say, Tina Turner or even say Michael Jackson.  And for that very reason, both those shows are more engaging.

What doesn't work:  Comments already have been made about the therapy sessions...  I would say, for the most part they do work.  What doesn't work for me is they go basically through his whole career (and three wives) and then towards the end of the second act, go back to him as a child.  Why go through in chronological order just to go back to the beginning?  (SPOILERS).  My guess is they (#1) wanted to end the first act with Sweet Caroline (which works wonderfully). If they started off with Neil as a child, Act One would probably be too long.  But the real reason I believe they did this was to get "America" towards the end of Act 2.  There are multiple problems with this.  First of all, by the time they decide to once again delve into Neil's past as a child, the older Neil himself (as well as the audience) are like "What this again?!"  It is just too much when it feels like the play should be coming to a conclusion.  And when they use the young Neil to finally get to the hit "America", it is only presented as an ensemble piece (instead of Neil singing it).  And this my friends is THE big mistake.  You can't have the hit song "America" without Neil Diamond (the character) singing it.  I'm sure the producers realize this, as they do try to (rightfully) reprise the song during the encore.

But once again, they make the same mistake.  They do not allow Neil Diamond to SING America.  It is a ensemble piece of only the chorus with the audience and Will's voice just blends in with everyone's.  (Granted Sweet Caroline is TOO, but this is the second rendition of the show).  Once again, you can't have a Neil Diamond show without having Neil Diamond at least lead and sing SOME of the lyrics of America.  And this is where I believe the production blows it.  When they bring out Will Swenson (or reveal would be a better way of putting it) and if he went into a full rendition of America, that would have been awesome.  But they don't do that.

My solution: Scrap the child Neil part.  Act 2 runs long and there is no need to go with it just to get to an ensemble of America.  Instead, they can still do their brilliant ending (the ending before the encore is great) without the young Neil bit.  They can still have the same ending without having the child Neil.

I would then have the ENCORE with Neil Diamond coming out to lead a FULL rendition of America and then the shortened ensemble piece with Sweet Caroline and the audience.

You can't have a Neil Diamond play without having Neil Diamond sing America.  Why on Earth the producers didn't realize this Day 1 is beyond my comprehension.  Also, why don't they have Neil Diamond come out draped with the American flag?  Have these producers ever actually been to a Neil Diamond concert?  Or is it now too political?

Otherwise, this IS a feel good jukebox musical (despite Neil Diamond's sometimes lonely and depressing personal story.)  I do think they can fix this up and make it really good.  Fixing the issue with "America" would be a good start.  The good news is that Will Swenson NAILS it.

Updated On: 6/26/22 at 12:30 AM

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#44A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/26/22 at 6:42am

I saw it last night. I know very little about Neil Diamond, only a few of his songs, and nothing about the man himself. As a musical it's pretty solid and Will Swenson in particular is great. I did really enjoy the performances and music overall. Act one moves swiftly, ending with Sweet Caroline which was brilliant. Second part of act two is definitely slower, and this is where the book needs the most work as it does start to drag a bit.

Audience were pretty rowdy in the balcony, lots of singing along which was fine but one group in particular did want to make out that they were having a great time and got to the point of being extremely annoying (and drunk) - talking/giggling during the more serious scenes, as well as whole numbers. Saw security talking with the group afterward.

The thing about Neil Diamond though as mentioned above... aside from three marriages he's not really the most interesting person to make a musical about, as say Tina or Frankie Valli for example.

Will try and see the show again. Circumstances had it that we were at the first Saturday evening performance and this will obviously have brought out the party crowd.

TaffyDavenport
#45A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/26/22 at 8:13am

V2David, do they have the orchestration at the beginning of "America," at least?

Updated On: 6/26/22 at 08:13 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#46A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/26/22 at 9:03am

Can someone explain Robyn Hurder's role? It is a dancing role?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

V2David
#47A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/26/22 at 2:58pm

TaffyDavenport said: "V2David, do they have the orchestration at the beginning of "America," at least?"

They do, and it is hinted at a few times, but it isn't "featured" if that makes any sense.  Once again, "America" is an ensemble piece which is once again (rightfully) brought back in the encore.  But Neil Diamond isn't featured. 

The big moment where the interlude plays and then Neil comes out with the spotlight on him just doesn't happen.

Having seen Neil multiple times through the years, THIS is the moment at every concert.  Sure "Sweet Caroline" has perhaps become his biggest hit, but "America" IS Neil Diamond, and Neil Diamond IS America.

I would hate to think the producers have decided to back away from the song for political reasons.  But I personally think it is one of the greatest songs about America ever written.  And it was written for Everyone.  Doesn't matter if you are Republican or Democrat, Conservative or Liberal.  And to not give Neil Diamond THAT moment in the show which is about him is a tremendous lost opportunity.

Updated On: 6/26/22 at 02:58 PM

V2David
#48A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/26/22 at 3:01pm

Mark_E said: "

Audience were pretty rowdy in the balcony, lots of singing along which was fine but one group in particular did want to make out that they were having a great time and got to the point of being extremely annoying (and drunk) - talking/giggling during the more serious scenes, as well as whole numbers. Saw security talking with the group afterward.

"

I agree.  I was at the front of the orchestra, but the crowd was a bit rowdy.  There are parts of the play (and obviously encore) where they are expecting people to sing along.  And that is cool.  But when they are performing serious songs such as "I Am I Said" at critical moments of the show, and people in the audience are clapping along(?!) there is a real problem.

V2David
#49A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout
Posted: 6/26/22 at 3:15pm

ACL2006 said: "Can someone explain Robyn Hurder's role? It is a dancing role?"

She is featured pretty heavily as Marcia Murphey, Neil Diamond's second wife.