Other possible bio-musicals?

KevinKlawitter
#1Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/13/22 at 7:50pm

I know a lot of people are cynical about the preponderance of bio-musicals on Broadway lately, but I figure as long as the trend is still trending, it might be fun to speculate on which one would pique your interest if announced.

Perhaps something about the Boy Band Industrial Complex in the 90s - maybe centering the abusive behavior of Lou Pearlman when he managed NSYNC and The Backstreet Boys.

Or if you're going for the same Boomer audience that's in to A Beautiful Noise, why not the Statler Brothers?

Zeppie2022
#2Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/13/22 at 8:04pm

I would think people are burned out with the "Boomer" stars so maybe in 10 years story about Taylor Swift could be interesting. The music she is making the last few years has been excellent and she has really grown as an artist. You could have fun with all of Taylor's ex-boyfriends telling their side of the story with their relationship as part of the storyline. You could have the "drama" of Kanye West and her at MTV award ceremony. Most of these bio-musicals follow the same type of storyline and this would at least be different. Will be interested in other responses.

Updated On: 7/13/22 at 08:04 PM

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#3Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/13/22 at 8:20pm

Zeppie2022 said: "I would think people are burned out with the "Boomer" stars so maybe in 10 years story about Taylor Swift could be interesting."

The Boomers will never be burned out by seeing their own youth reflected back at them. Bio-musicals of the 60s/70s/80s will be around for a while.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#4Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/13/22 at 8:59pm

It surprises me that we haven’t had an Elvis bio-musical. We had All Shook Up, and now we have the Elvis movie. Feels like there’s a deep enough catalog and enough of a story for a great show.

But truthfully, I just want Rocketman to be adapted into a stage show. One of the best biopics in a long time!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#5Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/13/22 at 9:11pm

I think both Joni Mitchell and Dolly Parton could have really marvelous bio-musicals. However, only if they are given some gravity and depth. With Mitchell that would be easier. 

Yes, Dolly is campy but I think there should be some melodrama as well as some focus on her early catalogue which is very dark and gothic and based on what she saw and heard as a child. Dolly herself would probably muck it up by wanting it very over the top and glitzy. Like a theme park show. 

Joni Mitchell’s music would be a beautiful backdrop for a show about her life. 

IMHO The Cher Show was better in Chicago. More darkness and depth. When it got to NYC they turned it into a Vegas show. Cher deserved better. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Dollypop
#6Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/13/22 at 9:17pm

The Glenn Miller Story

Herb Alpert

Sergio Mendez

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#7Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/13/22 at 9:29pm

I don't know how it would work, especially since there's been a movie, a Netflix series, and a failed national tour, I still want to see a Selena Quintanilla-Perez jukebox and/or biomusical.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#8Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/13/22 at 9:32pm

Barbra Streisand and Ella Fitzgerald.  I second the Joni Mitchell idea too.

Updated On: 7/15/22 at 09:32 PM

akhoya87
#9Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/13/22 at 10:23pm

William Henry Harrison:  the Musical.  31 minutes, one for each day of his Presidency.

Oh, you mean bio-jukebox musicals.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#10Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/13/22 at 10:26pm

Avril Lavigne! Call it "Sk8ter Boy: The Avril Lavigne Musical"

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Clyde15
#11Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/13/22 at 10:41pm

I want a Lady Gaga bio-musical so bad. Her rise to fame and controversy, the failure of the album Artpop, her turn to jazz music w/ Tony Bennett, and then rise to fame again with A Star is Born! Think of the amazing costumes and she has a pretty impressive catalog. 

Theatrefanboy1
#12Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/14/22 at 8:15am

In terms of music based musicals. Joni Mitchell, Dolly Parton, and possibly even Loretta Lynn. I would also find a catalogue of Celine or Dianne warren a fun night out 

I think a James Dean musical or Marilyn Monroe or Sinatra or cleopatra interesting.  With James Dean I would probably explore the ideas and rumours of his sexuality 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#13Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/14/22 at 8:32am

Rocketman is begging to be adapted into a stage musical. In fact, very little adaptation would be required.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#14Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/14/22 at 8:33am

I would love to see some kind of Madonna musical.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

PennClassic Profile Photo
PennClassic
#15Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/14/22 at 8:57am

Perhaps "The Carpenters" might be a choice for a bio-musical.  I'm not sure if it would generate enough interest with audiences of today but they did have several hit songs and Karen Carpenter would be a good role for the right singer/actress.  I know a TV movie about Karen was done several years ago.  Maybe it could work on stage as well.

Updated On: 5/4/23 at 08:57 AM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#16Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/14/22 at 9:29am

Either a jukebox original show or a bio-musical about Alice Cooper would be interesting, but I believe I saw in an interview that Coop controls the stage rights to his music and his story and has been sitting on them as an eventual vehicle for himself if/when he wants to stop touring.

In non-jukebox biomusicals, I twice attempted a musical based on the life of Al Capone, and both times bizarre misfortune descended on whoever was acting as my collaborator/composer. So that project may actually be cursed.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#17Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/14/22 at 9:56am

There was a short lived Barry Manilow musical which toured the U.K. about 10 years ago, but surprised there hasn’t been a proper bio musical.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#18Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/14/22 at 10:48am

I've always said I would love to see a bio-musical on Mama Cass Elliott. She was a force to be reckoned with in the 60s, until her untimely death at 32 in 1974 from a heart-attack.  She got her start at 19, competing with Streisand for the role of 'Miss Marmelstein' on Broadway, and then became a founding member of one of the most popular groups of the 1960s- The Mamas and The Papas (earning her name 'Mama' Cass Elliott'    ). She then broke out on her own with great success in the early 70s until her death. 

Chrissy Metz would be the actress to play her ! 

Updated On: 7/14/22 at 10:48 AM

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#19Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/14/22 at 12:34pm

PennClassic said: "Perhaps "The Carpenters" might be a choice for a bio-musical. I'm not sure if it would generate enough interest with audiences of today but they did have several hit songs and Karen Carpenter would be a good role for the right singer/actress. I know a TV movie about Karen was done several years ago. Maybe it could work on stage as well."

I've been saying this for a while. There is much more drama with Richard and Karen Carpenter than in some more recent bio-jukebox musicals. The drug use, anorexia, sexism, fights with record companies over how Richard produced the songs - the struggle between their "clean cut" image and what their lives were really like. 

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#20Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/14/22 at 4:03pm

A Madonna musical will be great

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

LALALand Profile Photo
LALALand
#21Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/14/22 at 4:14pm

David10086 said: I've always said I would love to see a bio-musical on Mama Cass Elliott. She was a force to be reckoned with in the 60s, until her untimely death at 32 in 1974 from a heart-attack.  She got her start at 19, competing with Streisand for the role of 'Miss Marmelstein' on Broadway, and then became a founding member of one of the most popular groups of the 1960s- The Mamas and The Papas (earning her name 'Mama' Cass Elliott'Other possible bio-musicals?. She then broke out on her own with great success in the early 70s until her death. 

I would settle for a Mamas and Papas musical. Their music is very autobiographical.

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#22Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/14/22 at 4:22pm

Amadeus, the Musical!

Globefan
#23Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/14/22 at 7:27pm

Julie Andrews 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#24Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/14/22 at 8:09pm

LALALand said: "David10086said:I've always said I would love to see a bio-musical on Mama Cass Elliott. She was a force to be reckoned with in the 60s, until her untimely death at 32 in 1974 from a heart-attack. She got her start at 19, competing with Streisand for the role of 'Miss Marmelstein' on Broadway, and then became a founding member of one of the most popular groups of the 1960s- The Mamas and The Papas (earning her name 'Mama' Cass Elliott'Other possible bio-musicals?. She then broke out on her own with great success in the early 70s until her death.

I would settle for a Mamas and Papas musical. Their music is very autobiographical.

"

Can't argue with you there. However, their story (to me) doesn't seem as interesting as Cass Elliot's to stand alone.  Plus, there was something about her that captivated her audiences. She'd be 80 today - a great year to tell her story on stage.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#25Other possible bio-musicals?
Posted: 7/14/22 at 8:12pm

Is it too soon to suggest 'The Beanie Story' starring Lea Michele ? 

Or 'The Lea Michele Story' starring Beanie ?

Videos