pixeltracker

Beautiful/Inspirational end of act Chorus - who invented?

Beautiful/Inspirational end of act Chorus - who invented?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1Beautiful/Inspirational end of act Chorus - who invented?
Posted: 7/28/22 at 12:38pm

There is a bit of a trend/now cliche of having a beautiful/inspirational chorus number at the end of acts or shows. For example, Seasons of Love in RENT, Purple Summer in Spring Awakening, Light in next to normal, the epilogue in the revised Carrie, who lives, who dies in Hamilton, you will be found in Dear Evan Hansen etc (I’m sure there are more). Was Sondheim the first example and/or inspiration for this with ‘Sunday?’ (I know at least in the case of you will be found Sunday is cited as inspiration in their table book). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#2Beautiful/Inspirational end of act Chorus - who invented?
Posted: 7/28/22 at 12:42pm

Seasons of Love is at the beginning of Act 2. :)

I’d imagine a lot of musicals would want to end on an inspirational note, long before Sunday in the Park.

nasty_khakis
#3Beautiful/Inspirational end of act Chorus - who invented?
Posted: 7/28/22 at 12:56pm

TotallyEffed said: "Seasons of Love is at the beginning of Act 2. :)

I’d imagine a lot of musicals would want to end on an inspirational note, long before Sunday in the Park.
"

The "You'll Never Walk Alone" erasure for me. haha (not that it was the first either)

lucas_glenn
#4Beautiful/Inspirational end of act Chorus - who invented?
Posted: 7/28/22 at 1:04pm

I have always loved “Till We Reach That Day” from Ragtime. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#5Beautiful/Inspirational end of act Chorus - who invented?
Posted: 7/28/22 at 1:05pm

nasty_khakis said: "TotallyEffed said: "Seasons of Love is at the beginning of Act 2. :)

"

The "You'll Never Walk Alone" erasure for me. haha (not that it was the first either)
"

“You’ll Never Walk Alone” is a beautiful song, but does not end either act.

Edit: I’m an idiot, there is a reprise of “You’ll Never Walk Alone” at the end of act 2.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 7/28/22 at 01:05 PM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#6Beautiful/Inspirational end of act Chorus - who invented?
Posted: 7/28/22 at 1:16pm

It’s old enough that it was a cliche in the 1920s; Brecht and Weill parody the “anthemic inspirational chorale ending” as the final minute or so of Threepenny Opera.

Rentaholic2
#7Beautiful/Inspirational end of act Chorus - who invented?
Posted: 7/28/22 at 1:48pm

I wouldn't say it's a trend, given that it at least dates back to Carousel, which is among the earliest "musicals."  It's just often the case that the end of an act dramatically calls for that type of music.  

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#8Beautiful/Inspirational end of act Chorus - who invented?
Posted: 7/28/22 at 1:55pm

I'm trying to think of shows in which neither act ends in a big choral number. The only one which leaps to mind is Company, but I'm sure there must be more.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Rentaholic2
binau Profile Photo
binau
#10Beautiful/Inspirational end of act Chorus - who invented?
Posted: 7/28/22 at 3:13pm

Ah yes ‘you’ll never walk alone’ at the end of act two is a good early example, thanks! And of course The Sound of Music another classic example with the Climb Every Mountain reprise. Ok I’m convinced this is certainly a ‘tale as old as time’ lol. (To be clear I don’t think ALL big choral numbers fit what I am trying to describe though. For example, ‘Anything Goes’ has big choral numbers but it’s not this kind of emotionally charged uplift or inspiration the same way these other examples are in my opinion. It’s just fun). Other examples that have rousing choral numbers but it’s not this kind of emotional uplifting inspiration I am thinking about: A new Argentina, Before the Parade Passes By, Tomorrow Belongs to Me etc. all amazing but to me not quite what I’m thinking of. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 7/28/22 at 03:13 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#11Beautiful/Inspirational end of act Chorus - who invented?
Posted: 7/28/22 at 3:33pm

lucas_glenn said: "I have always loved “Till We Reach That Day” from Ragtime."

So envious for anyone who heard this live - the revival closed before I could see it!

IronMan Profile Photo
IronMan
#12Beautiful/Inspirational end of act Chorus - who invented?
Posted: 7/28/22 at 3:40pm

GlindatheGood22 said: "I'm trying to think of shows in which neither act ends in a big choral number. The only one which leaps to mind is Company, but I'm sure there must be more."

Big Fish ends Act I with only the two leads singing "Daffodils" and Act II ends with just the son singing a reprise of "Be The Hero." 

"What- and quit show business?" - the guy shoveling elephant shit at the circus.

shiaho
#13Beautiful/Inspirational end of act Chorus - who invented?
Posted: 7/28/22 at 3:54pm

The idea of having a big beautiful chorus number at the end of an act is not a new cliche. It is commonly seen in operas and it’s called a finaletto. 

Sondheim was greatly inspired by operas which is why it is commonly seen in his work. Also, Jonathan Larson and Lin Manuel Miranda’s works are greatly influenced by Sondheim so we see finalettos in many of their shows/films. They’re a great tool to summarize conflict(s) before intermission/end of the act. 

goodlead
#14Beautiful/Inspirational end of act Chorus - who invented?
Posted: 7/28/22 at 4:30pm

"Make Our Garden Grow" from Candide.

Dan6
#15Beautiful/Inspirational end of act Chorus - who invented?
Posted: 7/29/22 at 4:36am

GlindatheGood22 said: "I'm trying to think of shows in which neither act ends in a big choral number. The only one which leaps to mind is Company, but I'm sure there must be more."

West Side Story has the quietest endings to both acts I can think of. 

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#16Beautiful/Inspirational end of act Chorus - who invented?
Posted: 7/29/22 at 7:41am

This is more a convention of the form than it is a trend. Showboat ended its acts with large choral numbers and it still continues to this day. Musical Theater itself has a basis in opera and operetta so it’s really no surprise that it pulls some conventions from its predecessor. 

Videos