pixeltracker

Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?

Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#1Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?
Posted: 9/18/22 at 9:26am

I've known and loved the score to "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" since high school when it premiered, and I always thought "All About Ruprecht" was just a funny, bizarre song. It wasn't until this summer that I realized that the midsection is an allusion to Kay Thompson's "Eloise" novelty song (which is currently trending on TikTok).

What about you? What did you discover years later that made the lightbulb over your head go off retroactively?

Grief
#2Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?
Posted: 9/18/22 at 10:09am

The Music Man: "I hope and I pray for Hester to win just one more A." Despite loving The Scarlet Letter in high school, I didn't understand what that lyric was referring to until I was an adult.

Also, The Wizard of Oz: "Oil can what?"

hork Profile Photo
hork
#3Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?
Posted: 9/18/22 at 11:43am

It took me years to realize that in "In the Heights," when Usnavi says, "Like my man Cole Porter says," he's talking about the "It's too darn hot" line, in reference to Kiss Me Kate. I always thought he was talking about the next line about people coming through for a few cold waters and a lottery ticket, which I assumed was some Cole Porter joke I wasn't getting.

Updated On: 9/18/22 at 11:43 AM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#4Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?
Posted: 9/18/22 at 12:20pm

I STILL don’t understand, “I think I missed. Don’t get pissed.”

CopleyScott17
#5Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?
Posted: 9/18/22 at 2:53pm

In "All For the Best" from "Godspell," there's a lyric that says "You'd bet that Job had nothing on you." As a heathen kid, I just assumed it meant getting fired from a job for no good reason. I didn't learn about the biblical Job until years later. In retrospect, the "mispronunciation" should have been a clue Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later? 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#6Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?
Posted: 9/18/22 at 8:01pm

TotallyEffed said: "I STILL don’t understand, “I think I missed. Don’t get pissed.”"

I believe it's a "pegging with a strap-on but stuck it in the wrong hole" reference, a joke that feels somewhat crude and out of place where it is in the show.

Alex Kulak2
#7Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?
Posted: 9/18/22 at 9:58pm

darquegk said: "TotallyEffed said: "I STILL don’t understand, “I think I missed. Don’t get pissed.”"

I believe it's a "pegging with a strap-on but stuck it in the wrong hole" reference, a joke that feels somewhat crude and out of place where it is in the show.
"

I mean, it's a whole song about sex. If there's any moment to put that lyric in the show, that's it.

TotallyEffed
#8Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?
Posted: 9/18/22 at 10:25pm

darquegk said: "TotallyEffed said: "I STILL don’t understand, “I think I missed. Don’t get pissed.”"

"

But surely Joanne would know she missed before Maureen herself did?

Luvinbroadway Profile Photo
Luvinbroadway
#9Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?
Posted: 9/18/22 at 10:44pm

I still don’t get the Oz oil can.

TotallyEffed
#10Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?
Posted: 9/18/22 at 11:15pm

Luvinbroadway said: "I still don’t get the Oz oil can.”

The Scarecrow doesn’t have a brain, so when he hears “oil can” he thinks it’s the beginning of a longer sentence. As in, “oil CAN do this, oil CAN’T do that.” So he asks, “oil can what?”

Nolan LuPone
#11Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?
Posted: 9/19/22 at 7:51am

"It has to be grocer, it's green"

TotallyEffed
#12Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?
Posted: 9/19/22 at 9:09am

Nolan LuPone said: ""It has to be grocer, it's green""

Google ‘green grocer.’ :)

Chase Miller
#13Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?
Posted: 9/19/22 at 9:47am

The majority of the lyrics in spring awakening.

Nolan LuPone
#14Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?
Posted: 9/19/22 at 11:25am

TotallyEffed said: "Nolan LuPone said: ""It has to be grocer, it's green""

Google ‘green grocer.’ :)
"

I did eventually... I just didn't care to think about it until a few months ago

IronMan Profile Photo
IronMan
#15Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?
Posted: 9/19/22 at 11:55am

TotallyEffed said: "Luvinbroadway said: "I still don’t get the Oz oil can.”

The Scarecrow doesn’t have a brain, so when he hears “oil can” he thinks it’s the beginning of a longer sentence. As in, “oil CAN do this, oil CAN’T do that.” So he asks, “oil can what?”
"

I think you're really reaching for that one.  The 'joke' is simply that the Tin Man is rusted solid, asks for the oil can, and the Scarecrow (being brainless) says, "Oil can what?" not understanding that oil would ease the rust.  

"What- and quit show business?" - the guy shoveling elephant shit at the circus.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#16Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?
Posted: 9/19/22 at 12:06pm

I don’t think he’s overthinking; it’s a pretty simple bit of wordplay that would sound at home with Ernie and Bert.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#17Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?
Posted: 9/19/22 at 3:15pm

IronMan said: "TotallyEffed said: "Luvinbroadway said: "I still don’t get the Oz oil can.”

"

I think you're really reaching for that one. The 'joke' is simply that the Tin Man is rusted solid, asks for the oil can, and the Scarecrow (being brainless) says, "Oil can what?" not understanding that oil would ease the rust.
"

The joke is “oil can (do) what?” and it has always been that play on words.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

mememe
#18Jokes, allusions or references that you didn't get until years later?
Posted: 9/20/22 at 10:54am

IronMan said: "TotallyEffed said: "Luvinbroadway said: "I still don’t get the Oz oil can.”

"

I think you're really reaching for that one. The 'joke' is simply that the Tin Man is rusted solid, asks for the oil can, and the Scarecrow (being brainless) says, "Oil can what?" not understanding that oil would ease the rust.
"

You’ve quite literally just said the same thing with different wording 

Videos