pixeltracker

A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread

A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread

TheWindAndTheRain
#1A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/11/22 at 11:02pm

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I was at the first preview tonight and figured I’d put my 2 cents in. Overall, it was a strong start that is sure to improve from here. 

First off, as you may or may not have heard, the show is now one act, running an hour and 45 minutes (show started around 7:07 and ended around 8:51). I’m not familiar enough with the book to say exactly what was cut. The one song that didn’t make it in was “Art”, which is a cute number, but I will admit that its absence does help with the pacing.

Jim Parsons is… almost there. I feel like there are still some acting beats he has to sharpen, especially at the beginning, but his performance deepened as the show went on. His “Love Who You Love” was quite sweet and effective. His singing voice is perfectly suited for what the role requires.

Mare Winningham is as wonderful as you would expect her to be in this role. She’s funny, moving, and her unique vocal tone meshes well with the Celtic sound of this score. Shereen Ahmed and AJ Shively are also quite lovely, though Shively did struggle with the end of “Streets of Dublin.” Hopefully it was just first preview jitters. Thom Sesma nearly steals the show as the pious and hammy (no pun intended) butcher, and Mary Beth Peil and Alma Cuervo bring so much to what are essentially featured ensemble roles. I must also commend the dialect work all around.

The staging is typical John Doyle: Sparse settings, an overly-decorated back wall, and actors playing instruments. This all serves the piece very well, though. The new orchestrations are absolutely gorgeous. I do hope we get a cast recording for the orchestrations alone.

I was very excited to finally see this show and I was definitely not let down. It’s definitely a lovely swan song for John Doyle’s tenure at CSC. Lynn Ahrens was in the row behind me and she looked quite pleased afterwards.

JSquared2
#2A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/11/22 at 11:27pm

Great report!  Did they leave in the song “The Cuddles Mary Gave”?  That has always been a high point in the show when delivered well. 

TheWindAndTheRain
#3A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/11/22 at 11:54pm

Thank you! “The Cuddles Mary Gave” IS still in the show, and it’s delivered wonderfully by William Youmans.

halfhourcheckwithmerman
#4A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/12/22 at 3:22pm

I really like this score and this show, but cutting it to an hour forty-five makes SO much sense. It doesn't need two acts (I like "Art," but cutting it also makes sense). Excited to hear more as it develops. 

"I feel safe with you, and complete with you / I'm always finding money in the street with you." -Sheldon Harnick

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#5A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/12/22 at 3:29pm

Eager to hear more from preview-goers like the above poster. I've adored this score and have waited 27 years to finally see a live production. We have tickets for Tuesday night 2 weeks from now and cannot wait!

One concern-- we're in the front row half way down the right side. Praying there's no furniture piece blocking our view from there...

meaghan416
#6A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/13/22 at 6:49pm

I have one ticket for sale for this Sat night 10/15 at 7:00. Facevalue was $80 ($87 with fees) but willing to negotiate. 

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#7A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/15/22 at 1:25pm

Saw this on short notice after being offered an unclaimed lottery ticket.

The original production was before my time, so I appreciated the opportunity to see the material; I think it’s a lovely little musical.

Not a fan of John Doyle, though, and this was pretty standard work from him. And Jim Parsons didn’t deliver IMO.

See my full thoughts here

VintageSnarker
#8A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/15/22 at 2:54pm

JoeW4 said: "Saw this on short notice after being offered an unclaimed lottery ticket."

They have a lottery? I thought they only offered rush.

MemorableUserName
#9A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/15/22 at 2:58pm

VintageSnarker said: "JoeW4 said: "Saw this on short notice after being offered an unclaimed lottery ticket."

"

It's on TodayTix.

VintageSnarker
#10A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/15/22 at 3:31pm

Thank you!

JasonC3
#11A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/20/22 at 9:28am

One ticket for this Sunday's matinee

Oct. 23, 2 p.m.

Row D Seat 209

Paid $80.  Asking $50.

PDF ticket.

email jc-bww@mail.com for fastest response

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#12A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/20/22 at 2:38pm

Extended through December 18.

bwayobsessed
#13A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/20/22 at 9:19pm

I saw the show tonight. I watched the recorded original at the performing arts library and fell in love with it. I saw it before I’d come out to anyone and found it incredibly moving. I think my listening to the original cast album somewhat effected how I watched tonight because I think in general the vocal performances were less strong. Despite this I really enjoyed the production and think there’s something incredibly touching about this story. While I think Jim Parson’s accent needs some work I really enjoyed his take on the part. Mare was wonderful. I think my ensemble standout was William Younans-his Cuddles Mary Gave is beautiful. Definitely recommend you try it out especially if you’re not familiar with the material.

TamzBway
#14A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/21/22 at 1:24pm

Heya, gonna email you!

TamzBway
#15A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/21/22 at 1:29pm

Has anyone been successful with the digital lotto or general rush for this show? I'm trying for this coming week but the only performances I can make are Sunday or Tuesday, both of which only have a small handful of tix left. If I'm not able to buy the ticket from the lovely poster above...just wondering if anyone can shed light on lotto/rush. Thanks so much!

JasonC3
#16A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/21/22 at 2:17pm

TamzBway said: "Heya, gonna email you!"

I emailed you back. Ticket is still available.

Zelle or Paypal for payment.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#17A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/22/22 at 8:43am

VintageSnarker said: "JoeW4 said: "Saw this on short notice after being offered an unclaimed lottery ticket."

"

I knew about the lottery but not aware of any other rush policies. Is there one?

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#18A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/22/22 at 10:16am

Classic Stage offers in-person rush an hour before curtain: $30 for general rush, $20 for students. If it’s sold out, they’ll still sell tickets at rush price, via waitlist. 

This is CSC’s standard policy for all their shows, but they suspended it for Assassins because demand was so high. Before I won the lottery for A Man of No Importance, I emailed the box office to confirm they were back to the usual policy - and they are. 

https://www.classicstage.org/ticketdiscounts

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#19A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/22/22 at 11:37am

Thank you for the info!

clowchan
#20A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/23/22 at 1:44am

I want to add they have discounts for military and veterans at this venue. You have to email and then call to purchase tickets. I just got mine!

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#21A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/23/22 at 11:50am

I have two tickets for Saturday October 29 at 1pm for sale. I paid $174 but I’m willing to take best offer. DM me if interested. 

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

jbm2
#22A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/24/22 at 11:24pm

I have a single ticket for Saturday Oct 29 that I would like to sell. If anyone is interested please message me. 

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#24A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/31/22 at 7:28pm

I've always loved the Ahrens Flaherty score and was delighted to finally see the CSC performance last Tuesday. Mostly a lovely lovely evening of theater with evocative staging, nuanced performances and beautiful music-making from beginning to end.

Doyle's old shtick of actors playing instruments made perfect sense here to create a living community-- of Dubliners, of amateur players, of witnesses to Alfie's tale of becoming a new person. Each cast member had magical moments to shine, but nothing could top the impeccable work done by Mare Winningham as Lil and A J Shively as Robbie. Only Jim Parsons felt a little removed from truly inhabiting the role of Alfie-- too opaque to convey the breakthroughs his character goes through during the evening. Didn't hurt my enjoyment much. Listening to Shereen Ahmed hold forth as a "Princess", or A J Shivery and company making a joyful noise for "The Streets of Dublin" was pure bliss. Just a lovely heartbreaking show.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#25A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE AT CSC Preview Thread
Posted: 10/31/22 at 7:51pm

Doyle often gets a bit of criticism/accused of being a one trick Pony for actors who play their own instruments but honestly doesn’t he usually actually make it work? There is usually some artistry/concept behind it.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000