pixeltracker

FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread

FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 9:00am

A new Broadway cast recording of Funny Girl, led by current stars Lea Michele, Tovah Feldshuh, Ramin Karimloo, and Jared Grimes, will be digitally released on Friday, November 18 via Sony Masterworks Broadway.

The album, which is expected to be released as a hardcopy on January 20, 2023, will feature the classic score by Jule Styne and Bob Merrill. Funny Girl's original book is by Isobel Lennart, with revisions by Harvey Fierstein. This new revival is directed by Michael Mayer and choreographed by Ellenore Scott and Ayodele Casel.

In addition to the aforementioned Michele, Feldshuh, Karimloo, and Grimes, the album will feature Peter Francis James, Ephie Aardema, Debra Cardona, Toni DiBuono, Martin Moran, Miriam Ali, Amber Ardolino, Daniel Beeman, Colin Bradbury, Kurt Csolak, John Michael Fiumara, Leslie Donna Flesner, Afra Hines, Masumi Iwai, Aliah James, Jeremiah James, Danielle Kelsey, Stephen Mark Lukas, Alicia Lundgren, John Manzari, Liz McCartney, Connor McRory Katie Mitchell, Justin Prescott, Mariah Reives, Barbara Tirrell, and Leslie Blake Walker.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 9:05am

What an amazing surprise! The timing couldn't be more perfect for me either as I am seeing the show Saturday night!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

binau Profile Photo
binau
#3FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 9:10am

Does anyone know if there is a pre-save link or something? Usually due to time zone differences I could have access to a recording released on 18 November but I can't seem to find it on Apple Music. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#4FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 9:29am

Tracklist:

1. Overture

2. Who Are You Now?

3. If a Girl Isn't Pretty

4. I'm the Greatest Star

5. Eddie's Tap

6. Cornet Man

7. His Love Makes Me Beautiful

8. I Want to Be Seen with You

9. Henry Street

10. People

11. You Are Woman, I Am Man

12. Don't Rain on My Parade

13. Sadie, Sadie

14. Who Taught Her Everything She Knows?

15. Temporary Arrangement

16. Rat-Tat-Tat-Tat

17. Who Are You Now? (Reprise)

18. You're a Funny Girl / Beekman Call

19. What Do Happy People Do?

20. The Music That Makes Me Dance

21. Dream Ballet

22. Finale Act 2

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#5FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 9:31am

At the bottom of the article linked below is a sneak preview of Michele singing "Don't Rain on My Parade":

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Official-FUNNY-GIRL-Cast-Recording-Will-Be-Released-Tomorrow-Watch-Lea-Michele-Sing-Dont-Rain-on-My-Parade-20221117

Oh look, a bibu!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
BCfitasafiddle
#7FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 10:00am

This is so wonderful! I can't believe we're getting it so soon. SO happy for everyone involved that they got to create this album and preserve the show with Lea's performance. 

As for the teenagers commenting on social media "JUSTICE FOR BEANIE." They didn't see the show with Beanie, they won't see it with Lea, most of them have no understanding how Broadway works as an industry. They have no idea what they're talking about. These are the same kids who hate The Music Man because it "took" the Winter Garden from Beetlejuice. Ah, youth. One day they'll understand. 

The producers of Funny Girl are right to cash in on every opportunity that presents itself thanks to Ms. Michele.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#8FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 10:52am

That album cover was a choice. I’m still not a fan of the giant flower photoshopped onto her head. It makes my skin crawl.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#9FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 10:59am

CATSNYrevival said: "That album cover was a choice. I’m still not a fan of the giant flower photoshopped onto her head. It makes my skin crawl."

It is hideous lol

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#10FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 11:29am

It looks like a bumper pic if Lea was hosting SNL. Especially the monochrome plus pop of color.

The Pesky Pescatarian Profile Photo
The Pesky Pescatarian
#11FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 11:37am

I can't seem to access the link to post it, but Rolling Stone has "I'm the Greatest Star".

binau Profile Photo
binau
#12FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 11:37am

Perhaps I lack taste, but I like the art. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#13FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 11:38am

Oh look, a bibu!

BCfitasafiddle
#14FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 11:38am

Interview with Lea and first listen to the full track of "I'm the Greatest Star." She sounds thrilling! I can feel what I felt in the theatre when she sang it live.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/lea-michele-funny-girl-im-the-greatest-star-1234632017/

Updated On: 11/17/22 at 11:38 AM

ElephantLoveMedley
#15FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 11:52am

EDSOSLO858 said: "

"

She is obviously incredible, but the orchestrations sound especially phenomenal on this.

BCfitasafiddle
#16FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 11:54am

I believe they added extra musicians for the recording. Wish we had it 8x a week, but we take what we can get!

The Pesky Pescatarian Profile Photo
The Pesky Pescatarian
#17FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 11:57am

Behind the scenes video of the Cast Recording.

I'm so happy for this cast! In the midst of all the Internet caterwauling, I think it gets lost that this is a lot of these people's first big Broadway gig. Yay for them getting to get this opportunity! 

Rentaholic2
#18FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 11:57am

darquegk said: "It looks like a bumper pic if Lea was hosting SNL. Especially the monochrome plus pop of color."

That's a perfect description of it.  I don't dislike it, though.  It's better than the original artwork.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#19FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 12:10pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "I believe they added extra musicians for the recording. Wish we had it 8x a week, but we take what we can get!"

More musicians are always added for Broadway cast recordings.  It’s been that way for decades unless score uses specific orchestrations like actors playing instruments, small on-stage band, etc. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#20FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 1:22pm

I love how Lea refers to it as "the original cast album." Oh the shade. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

CATSNYrevival
#21FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 1:56pm

Bettyboy72 said: "I love how Lea refers to it as "the original cast album." Oh the shade."

To Barbra, Beanie or both?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#22FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 2:06pm

It was a slip of the tongue. She was caught up in the moment, and misspoke. That's it.

BCfitasafiddle
#23FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 2:08pm

I don't know if it was a slip of the tongue.. Her instagram caption:

"A dream come true on top of an already wild an amazing dream come true! Our original @funnygirlbwy cast album ❤️⭐️"

Honestly, she can call it that and I won't even mind. It's funny how it feels like the first 6 months didn't even happen. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#24FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 2:17pm

So, she doubled down on it. I guess it sounds slightly shady, but that obviously wasn't her intention. As others have said, it is true that everyone else is the original cast, so she was probably trying to be gracious to them, without thinking that some people would blow it out of proportion.

Updated On: 11/17/22 at 02:17 PM

CATSNYrevival
#25FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 2:27pm

I mean the whole album cover is her giving major side eye so…