News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical

Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical
Posted: 12/13/22 at 8:36pm

On a press tour for The Whale film adaptation:

AVC: I was reading what some of your actors have said about working with you, and one thing that struck me is Hugh Jackman mentioning that you love musicals. Is there a musical that you want to make?

DA: We’re trying to do the Black Swanmusical.

AVC: Like on Broadway?

DA: We’ll see what happens. But we’re working on it.

AVC: What about a movie musical?

DA: I would love to and I’ve talked to many people about it. And I’ve come close to a few ideas. It’s a very tricky thing because music from musicals is not popular music anymore. So what do you do? I think Hamilton was brilliant because Lin-Manuel Miranda fused hip-hop with musical music. And so he had this breakthrough that was really brilliant. But figuring that angle of it, of what the music would be, where it comes from, is the big challenge. But I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about it. And hopefully one day I could figure something out.

https://www.avclub.com/darren-aronofsky-the-whale-interview-mother-1849863880

Updated On: 12/13/22 at 08:36 PM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#2Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical
Posted: 12/13/22 at 8:40pm

Should be an opera.

SouthernCakes
#3Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical
Posted: 12/13/22 at 9:48pm

Opera would be cool. I don’t think there’s enough there there to make it a musical. It was more of a vibe if anything. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#4Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical
Posted: 12/13/22 at 10:37pm

they have been doing a workshop at Open Jar the last few weeks

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#5Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical
Posted: 12/13/22 at 11:29pm

Do we know who’s writing it?

jo
#6Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical
Posted: 12/14/22 at 1:46am

Darren came to see THE BOY FROM OZ  ( Hugh invited a few directors to see the show) and that was how they met. THE FOUNTAIN, arguably his finest work, had been dropped as a Brad Pitt project...but Hugh became interested in it. He read the script overnight and told DA that he would like to do it, if ok with Darren.

The movie was divisive at first, but years hence it has become a cult favorite. It was re-released 10 years later with some revisionist reviews. Beautiful movie, haunting & introspective, with one of the most beautiful film scores written.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#7Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical
Posted: 12/14/22 at 6:38am

While true that the film has a cult following and its estimation has perhaps grown over time, the film wasn't exactly 'divisive' when it came out - it was in fact one of the most awarded films of the year, including Oscar nominations for Best Picture and Best Director. Natalie Portman won almost every single award that season as well, of course, including the Oscar for Best Actress.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Alexander Lamar
#8Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical
Posted: 12/14/22 at 7:20am

QueenAlice said: "While true that the film has a cult following and its estimation has perhaps grown over time, the film wasn't exactly 'divisive' when it came out - it was in fact one of the most awarded films of the year, including Oscar nominations for Best Picture and Best Director. Natalie Portman won almost every single award that season as well, of course, including the Oscar for Best Actress."

I believe they were talking about The Fountain, not Black Swan.

Sharpie3
#9Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical
Posted: 12/14/22 at 10:21am

Is this the same Black Swan musical Dave Malloy is working on? 

hearthemsing22
#10Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical
Posted: 12/14/22 at 10:25am

Sharpie3 said: "Is this the same Black Swan musical Dave Malloy is working on?"

Oooo interesting-just looked it up, and it looks like it! But how long ago was that announced?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#11Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical
Posted: 12/14/22 at 10:28am

June 2022:

Berman states in the interview that the first table read of the stage adaptation has been completed and that a workshop will hopefully begin in December. Kevin McCollum, Darren Aronofsky, and Scott Franklin will be co-producing the show with Dave Malloy composing, Jen Silverman writing the book, and Rachel Chavkin directing.

https://thedisinsider.com/2022/06/28/elvis-producer-gives-update-on-disney-goonies-series-black-swan-play/

JanMaxwellsBag Profile Photo
JanMaxwellsBag
#12Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical
Posted: 12/14/22 at 10:31am

I’m not a Dave Malloy fan, but Black Swan is one of my favorite films, and he does seem like a good match for it. Cautiously optimistic about this one. 

I could use a prince to save me from my prince.

hearthemsing22
#13Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical
Posted: 12/14/22 at 10:43am

This seems like something that would start at ART and based on reviews consider a Broadway transfer. But that's just what I think 

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#14Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical
Posted: 12/14/22 at 11:42am

Hmm Dave Malloy has me a bit more intrigued. This is one of my favorite films as well, but it doesn’t strike me as material that sings.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#16Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical
Posted: 4/1/24 at 5:44pm

The music for this should be crazy.

If there is any musical to make atonal it's this one.

amiyagi
#17Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical
Posted: 4/1/24 at 5:51pm

This is a film that makes sense to adapt for the stage. Malloy and Tayeh were enough to get my attention.

jasmiinda
#18Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical
Posted: 4/1/24 at 9:19pm

I'm still pretty new to Broadway, so excuse my ignorance, but are these workshops usually open to the public or just industry people?

amiyagi
#19Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical
Posted: 4/1/24 at 9:23pm

jasmiinda said: "I'm still pretty new to Broadway, so excuse my ignorance, but are these workshops usually open to the public or just industry people?"

Just industry 

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#20Aronofsky developing a BLACK SWAN stage musical
Posted: 4/1/24 at 10:14pm

Sonja is fine.  Justin Peck would be unbelievable as director/choreographer.   Or either one, as choreographer, with a legit director.  This needs someone who has legit experience as a director too.  

Updated On: 4/1/24 at 10:14 PM

Videos