pixeltracker

FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18

FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18

ElephantLoveMedley
#1FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 12:08pm

Per their Instagram story just now. Any ideas? Proshot, perhaps? 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 12:14pm

Their cast album releases physically on Friday, so maybe an album signing at the theatre? 

Oh look, a bibu!

JSquared2
#3FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 12:38pm

Possibly that she's either extending her Broadway contract, or else she's opening the tour for the first few cities?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#4FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 12:57pm

A filmed version is the first thing that came to mind.

I don't know if we should expect her to extend through summer (it's currently on sale through end of May) but I don't think that would warrant a "special announcement."

hearthemsing22
#5FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 1:00pm

I saw somewhere that a show would be doing a signing at the theater-maybe it was actually on these boards LOL-so I think maybe that's it, or a proshot. But I can not imagine Lea Michele is going to do any of the tour. Maybe they'll be there to introduce the cast tour??

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#6FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 1:03pm

hearthemsing22 said: "I saw somewhere that a show would be doing a signing at the theater-maybe it was actually on these boards LOL-so I think maybe that's it, or a proshot. But I can not imagine Lea Michele is going to do any of the tour. Maybe they'll be there to introduce the cast tour??"

The tour hasn't even auditioned yet and doesn't begin until September, so I doubt it would have ANYTHING to do with the tour.

Jordan C mentioned overhearing a convo about a show doing an album-signing onstage at their theatre –– which many of us noted is an impractically expensive press stunt and a great way for the cast to get COVID. But it's their money not mine :) 

BETTY22
#7FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 1:23pm

Lea extension.....

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#8FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 1:30pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "The tour hasn't even auditioned yet and doesn't begin until September, so I doubt it would have ANYTHING to do with the tour."

You may very well be right, but I'm confused by this logic. It's not so uncommon for a headlining star to commit to a run 9+ months out, especially if the run is predicated on the star's involvement. And naturally, if that's the case, it would inevitably be decided well before the production start auditioning other tracks. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#9FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 1:38pm

jbway, i was responding to the silly post above mine: "Maybe they'll be there to introduce the cast tour??" I would not expect Lea to do any part of the tour, with the possible exception of LA; she's a far bigger star than other Broadway-names who have toured in recent history (Idina, the Woods folks, etc) and the touring model is such that this show will probably do ok in most subscription markets with Ephie or Julie or anyone else.

We'll find out tomorrow.

Updated On: 1/17/23 at 01:38 PM

BdwyFan
#10FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 1:48pm

My guess too. Until Labor Day!  Agree?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#11FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 2:35pm

I’m sure the announcement will be very anti-climatic.  Everyone’s assumptions are much grander than whatever the announcement will be.  cheeky

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#12FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 2:39pm

Maybe Lea will be hosting post-show screenings of the “Glee” documentary series.

hearthemsing22
#13FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 3:02pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "I’m sure the announcement will be very anti-climatic. Everyone’s assumptions are much grander than whatever the announcement will be. cheeky"

I have a feeling that even if you're joking, you're right. Isnt that usually how it is LOL

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#14FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 4:35pm

The big announcement is that Lea has been declared/has declared herself “the greatest star,” and will be awarded an honorary special Tony, by a guy named Tony.

BCfitasafiddle
#15FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 5:02pm

Lea reposted the announcement, plus the artwork they used included their four current stars' names above the title. This will likely not be about the tour and be about something happening now with this current company. Unless, of course its about this cast being part of the tour. We will see. I'm excited.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#16FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 5:02pm

My immediate thought was an extension of LM's contract.  Or, the extension of the musical itself once she leaves - and they will name her replacement ?  Didn't they announce Bette Midler's replacement about five months before she left and Bernadette Peters took over ? 

hearthemsing22
#17FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 5:21pm

David10086 said: "My immediate thought was an extension of LM's contract. Or, the extension of the musical itself once she leaves - and they will name her replacement ? Didn't they announce Bette Midler's replacement about five months before she left and Bernadette Peters took over ?"

OOOooo good thinking!!! Seriously that could be it 

hearthemsing22
#18FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 5:23pm

LOL at someone on Twitter freaking out that Sony reposted Funny Girl and now they believe a proshot is happening...I mean...actually could it??? Or a new FG movie??

Jarethan
#19FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 5:50pm

hearthemsing22 said: "I saw somewhere that a show would be doing a signing at the theater-maybe it was actually on these boards LOL-so I think maybe that's it, or a proshot. But I can not imagine Lea Michele is going to do any of the tour. Maybe they'll be there to introduce the cast tour??"

Can’t you see her wanting to do LA?  Given the tour is a fact, what do the producers lose by allowing her to do just that city.  They can probably extend the LA run beyond what would otherwise be planned, will sellout every performance, and she will have a personal triumph in a city that can offer her a lot of employment opportunities beyond just Ryan Murphy.  Would seem like a no-brained to me.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#20FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 5:53pm

hearthemsing22 said: "LOL at someone on Twitter freaking out that Sony reposted Funny Girl and now they believe a proshot is happening...I mean...actually could it??? Or a new FG movie??"

The Masterworks Broadway account, to be more specific. 

I still think it’s an album signing event. 

Oh look, a bibu!

BCfitasafiddle
Dollypop
#22FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 6:49pm

Beanie's coming back.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

jimmycurry01
#23FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 11:16pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "A filmed version is the first thing that came to mind.

I don't know if we should expect her to extend through summer (it's currently on sale through end of May) but I don't think that would warrant a "special announcement."
"

With the London production having already been filmed with virtually the same physical production as what is on Broadway, I don't see them forking out the cash to film it again, even with Lea. I'm thinking this announcement will be far less exciting than it is being built up here. Maybe a signing, maybe a star for the tour, almost certainly not a film.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#24FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/17/23 at 11:32pm

The current Broadway production and the London production are completely different costume and set designs.  You obviously have not seen the Broadway production to make this comment.  Even the color palattes are completely different.  

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#25FUNNY GIRL “Special Announcement” Coming Wednesday, January 18
Posted: 1/18/23 at 1:45am

BrodyFosse123 said: "The current Broadway production and the London production are completely different costume and set designs. You obviously have not seen the Broadway production to make this comment. Even the color palattes are completely different."

Yeah, the Broadway version is technically an evolution of the West End version and you can definitely see some of the ways that Mayer carried over or evolved his direction, but the physical production is totally different on Broadway.