pixeltracker

New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year- Page 2

New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year

inception Profile Photo
inception
#25New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 9/13/23 at 8:24pm

Here's the video of Maleah Joi Moon

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#26New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 9/13/23 at 8:40pm

Run time is 1 hour and 50 minutes with one intermission. 

BroadwaysBroad
#27New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 9/13/23 at 9:58pm

This will be  another grief hit - does anyone know what theater it’s going into after the public 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#28New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 9/14/23 at 1:13pm

I decided to get a ticket anyways.  Hopefully will make it. It looks like this extension will be sold out soon.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#29New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 9/20/23 at 10:17pm

Pretty much sold out now.  There is a single seat available and one wheelchair seat with a companion seat available for the December 23 matinee,  and another single for that same day's evening performance. 

Perhaps they will extend again.  I'm reminded of the winter Fun Home kept extending two weeks at a time all fall into January.  That show started earlier in the Fall though.  I saw mid-November that year (2013) by jumping on tickets as soon as an extension was made available. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#30New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 9/21/23 at 8:49am

LOOSELY based on Keyes. 

I'm kind of surprised by the draw here. I know her name, and I'm sure I've heard her music, but is she truly that popular of an artist? The run seems to have, literally, one ticket left. (I'm not trying to throw shade here... maybe I'm just totally out of touch with current popular music.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

gibsons2
#31New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 9/21/23 at 9:45am

dramamama611 said: "LOOSELY based on Keyes.

I'm kind of surprised by the draw here. I know her name, and I'm sure I've heard her music, but is she truly that popular of an artist? The run seems to have, literally, one ticket left. (I'm not trying to throw shade here... maybe I'm just totally out of touch with current popular music.)
"

She's one of the most successful and best selling musicians in history, her work spans from the very early 2000s:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alicia_Keys 

Updated On: 9/21/23 at 09:45 AM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#32New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 9/21/23 at 9:54am

She’s currently or just finished a big arena tour so she’s still very much popular. And this is also an off Broadway run in a small theater 

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#33New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 9/21/23 at 4:32pm

I think this will be a big hit and transfer. Keys is extraordinary and is well-liked by many generations.  I remember swooning over her piano riffs back in 2001 when she debuted Songs in A Minor.  As a native New Yorker I cannot wait to see how they stage Empire State of Mind.  It's almost as iconic as Kander and Ebb's New York, New York.

Happy to hear that there will be a heavy emphasis on the mother/daughter relationship.  I wager that Shoshana Bean will kill it as Ali's mom. 

https://www.vogue.com/article/alicia-keys-hells-kitchen-november-2023  

Updated On: 9/21/23 at 04:32 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#34New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 9/21/23 at 4:45pm

Keys music with Bean’s vocals sounds like a winner to me. 

Sutton Ross
#35New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 9/21/23 at 5:16pm

There's a reason why tickets were scarce since going on sale. My friend is an understudy and they said it's definitely something very special. And Maleah Joi Moon? The girl will be a star. 

Sutton Ross
RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#38New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 9/27/23 at 3:05pm

Looks like a turntable. I wonder how quick this could get to Broadway if the reviews and word of mouth are good. 

Ke3
#39New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 9/27/23 at 5:04pm

She is one of the best selling musicians of the 2000s and the 2010s. It's truly baffling to me that on a board that sees people like Sara Barillies and Josh Groban as stars, I once saw her referred to as "C-List".

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#40New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 9/27/23 at 6:23pm

Kind of seems like something perfect for Kail to direct no?

Updated On: 9/27/23 at 06:23 PM

BETTY22
#41New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 9/27/23 at 7:14pm

I cannot wait to see this.

Wish it was a totally original score - but understand why they are squeezing in some of her big hits. 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
sppunk
#43New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 9/27/23 at 10:07pm

Seeing this the last Saturday in October and so, so excited. 

gibsons2
#44New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 9/28/23 at 9:37am

Sutton Ross said: "The entire run is sold out.

"

Amazing. And I thought I overreacted when I booked my tickets on the first day they went on sale...

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#46New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/5/23 at 1:00am

Melissa25 said: "Gift link to Michael Paulson's (NYT) 10/4 article

Alicia Keys Steps Into a New Spotlight “Hell’s Kitchen,” a musical inspired by the singer-songwriter’s teenage years in New York, is set to open Off Broadway.
"

Surprising to hear there are only four new songs. I'm excited for this show independent of how they're constructing it. But, I would have thought they'd have gone for 51% new (at least) for Best Score consideration. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#47New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/5/23 at 1:50am

So, it's a glorified jukebox musical. I have a ticket, but, regardless of the buzz and ticket sales, I'm keeping my expectations fairly low, since I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Updated On: 10/5/23 at 01:50 AM

BETTY22
#48New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/5/23 at 7:41am

WAIT - there are only 4 new songs!!!

This NYT story isn't very flattering. Why would she laugh about her husband making fun of musicals? 

GingerSnaps2
#49New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/6/23 at 1:11pm

I just got a message from the Public saying Hell’s Kitchen has been extended again, now through January 7.  Tickets for members go on sale October 10 and to everyone on October 12.

In related news, I see Brandon Victor Dixon has a couple of caberet shows around town coming up on Monday nights.