LIFE OF PI Reviews

PipingHotPiccolo
#25LIFE OF PI Reviews
Posted: 3/30/23 at 11:59pm

If the stage is raked, I didnt notice it but it doesnt matter: significant elements/moments derive from either projections onto the stage floor OR (magical!) tricks in the stage floor. There is no way the front (and id guess even mid) orchestra catch any of this. 

That they put the critics in the front mezz (a first?) confirms the point. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#26LIFE OF PI Reviews
Posted: 3/31/23 at 12:05am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "That they put the critics in the front mezz (a first?) confirms the point."

Interesting that they put the critics in the mezz. The 2020 WEST SIDE revival did that too. Encores puts them in the very front of the Grand Tier -- I was actually wondering if PARADE might put them in the mezz for Broadway considering the design, but I don't believe they did.

Wonder if they try to get all the Tony voters upstairs too?

Updated On: 3/31/23 at 12:05 AM

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#27LIFE OF PI Reviews
Posted: 3/31/23 at 12:08am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "

Wonder if they try to get all the Tony voters upstairs too?"

Put money on it.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#28LIFE OF PI Reviews
Posted: 3/31/23 at 12:25am

Crazy how no one figured out the mezzanine vs. orchestra situation sooner. Oh, wait, we did, 5 months ago:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1154664

Unlike the ending of A Doll's House, this issue was easy to predict.

Updated On: 3/31/23 at 12:25 AM

nycward
#29LIFE OF PI Reviews
Posted: 3/31/23 at 12:54am

I saw this piece a couple of weeks ago (compliments of TDF) and being in row P placed us about two thirds back (I would surmise.) The projections on the floor were easy to see so I can see how half of the orchestra (prime seating by most measures) would be problematic. Really a shame that if the equity rule was to blame, this physical production suffered.  

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#30LIFE OF PI Reviews
Posted: 3/31/23 at 1:16am

TaffyDavenport said: "Crazy how no one figured out the mezzanine vs. orchestra situation sooner. Oh, wait, we did, 5 months ago:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1154664

Unlike the ending of A Doll's House, this issue was easy to predict.
"

No, we agree. We knew. More so it’s interesting that they put the critics there since if you read the review and get a closer seat you will likely miss out on all that. 

MemorableUserName
#31LIFE OF PI Reviews
Posted: 3/31/23 at 9:57pm

I'm not sure breathlessly recounting the reactions of the children in the audience is much of a review, but the headline did make me laugh.

‘Life of Pi’ Broadway Review: Making Cannibalism Palatable for Kids

Unfortunately, the puppets look like ”The Lion King“ on a budget

https://www.thewrap.com/life-of-pi-broadway-review/

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#32LIFE OF PI Reviews
Posted: 4/2/23 at 6:08pm

This was a miss for me. I had no intention of seeing this having read the book years ago and I didn’t enjoy it. The New York Times review peaked my interest, though...

While there is no doubt this is a gorgeous play in terms of the physical design elements and puppetry, everything else is just plain bad. Terrible writing and pretty abysmal acting (why was everyone SHOUTING their lines throughout the entire play?).

The first act is much stronger than the second. The problem is that most of the interesting events unfold in act 1, and all of the cool visual moments and “surprises” are in the first act. This makes for a long, boring, and uneventful act 2. The play easily could have been shortened to 90-100 minutes with no intermission.

This just didn’t do it for me. It reminded me a lot of War Horse, but War Horse was stronger IMO.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Hairspray0901
#33LIFE OF PI Reviews
Posted: 4/5/23 at 9:00am

My friend and I won the lottery for tonight - got Orch E center. Seeing as these will be problematic (it even states on telecharge that B-F will have a hard time seeing the projections) I’m hoping they’ll let us move to the mezz if there are empty seats! 

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#34LIFE OF PI Reviews
Posted: 4/5/23 at 4:16pm

Added to each performance date’s page on Telecharge in big red letters: “Due to the height of the stage, some projection and design elements displayed on the stage floor may not be fully appreciated from Orchestra rows B through F.”

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#35LIFE OF PI Reviews
Posted: 5/9/23 at 10:38am

Tonight, ensemble member Uma Paranjpe will make her Broadway principal debut as Pi:

https://twitter.com/JonHoche/status/1655918640456138753

LIFE OF PI Reviews

barcelona20
#36LIFE OF PI Reviews
Posted: 5/9/23 at 12:25pm

The show works much better with a female in the lead. Break legs Uma!

carlisle14
#37LIFE OF PI Reviews
Posted: 2/26/24 at 3:16pm

Seeing this on tour in Baltimore this season.  My subscription seats are very close to stage, orchestra level.  For the tour do I need to swap seats for the upper seating to see the floor show?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#38LIFE OF PI Reviews
Posted: 2/26/24 at 3:25pm

carlisle14 said: "Seeing this on tour in Baltimore this season. My subscription seats are very close to stage, orchestra level. For the tour do I need to swap seats for the upper seating to see the floor show?"

I would definitely recommend sitting upstairs for this one.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "