pixeltracker

A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.

A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.

Chance4042
#1A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 4/27/23 at 12:00am

The 2022 / 2023 season at Toronto Mirvish seems to be a starting point to Broadway. 

I'm not saying the shows originated here in Toronto but were a stepping stone to broadway. I guess it's easier to drive to TO then to fly to Scotland. 

I'm say 3 broadway shows playing or coming up were here .

1) & juliet , we know that was moving to NY

2) Room 

3) The Shark is Broken 

one of these shows I believed replaced Leopoldstadt that skip TO to go to Broadway . 

P.S. just a side note , David West Read (Schitt's Creek , & juliet ) & Director Luke Sheppard ( & juliet) have a new show at Mirvish in september  called,  In Dreams , music by Roy Orbison .

Updated On: 4/27/23 at 12:00 AM

AEA AGMA SM
#2A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 4/27/23 at 11:47am

Room was canceled a couple weeks into rehearsal about a month ago with no indication if or when it may be rescheduled. 

Lumiere2 Profile Photo
Lumiere2
#3A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 4/27/23 at 1:47pm

Respectfully, I'm going to disagree that this 2022/23 subscription has been a good season for Toronto's Mirvish Theatres. It hasn't. All the great stuff in this thread is from other seasons.

I'm a Toronto local, and my wife and I have been subscribers for the last decade. And while we enjoyed some of the shows this year, overall it's been a disappointment.

1. Room was actually part of the 2021/22 season. We liked the show - it was impactful, well written and well staged. But it actually started at the Grand Theatre in London, ON, about two hours away (and is the hometown of the author who wrote the novel the play is based on). It's also hard to call this a success when it's Broadway run was unfortunately scrapped last minute - that's embarrassing.

2. & Juliet was ALSO part of the 2021/22 season - not the current one. This is a terrific show as well - we had a blast. But it was part of last season, so it doesn't count.

3. Leopoldstadt would have been an awesome show for Toronto. It was supposed to debut in January 2022, but then was cancelled because it was unsafe to bring the London, UK cast to Toronto in the Omicron resurgence of COVID-19.

Mirvish postponed the show, promising subscribers it would come back later that year. Well...it wasn't part of the 2022/23 season, and it's not in the 2023/24 lineup either. They've since said there's no plans for the play to come here.

So what was part of the Toronto 22/23 season that's coming to New York? Only The Shark is Broken, which played to half-empty houses in Mirvish's smallest downtown theatre and regularly reported walk-outs every night.

The best shows were the play Pressure from the West End and the national tour of Hamilton finally coming to the city a whopping eight years after its premiere. (It was supposed to come in 2020, but only got three weeks into its sit down run before COVID closed the show.)

Frankly, this has been a weak season, and because of the price to bring Hamilton this subscription season only had 6 shows instead of the usual 7. 

On the other hand, it's true that Mirvish is a great place to see some wonderful shows before they come to Broadway. Toronto is a great city for tryouts and some of the longest national tour stops you'll find anywhere. We love Broadway and mainstream, large-scale theatre.

But the 2022/23 season specifically is just a bad example of all that.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#4A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 4/27/23 at 2:04pm

Since cursed child is closing in July hopefully that means Mirvish will return to presenting larger shows. I wonder how long the refurbishment back to how it was will take. Maybe Frozen will surprise with a sit down. 

Wonder if Cused Child would have been better off playing at the Royal Alex.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#5A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 4/27/23 at 3:15pm

"Only The Shark is Broken, which played to half-empty houses in Mirvish's smallest downtown theatre and regularly reported walk-outs every night."

Could you talk more about it's unpopularity? Curious as to why it's moving if it was so negatively received by the public.

Jesus saves. I spend.

William12
#6A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 4/27/23 at 3:31pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Since cursed child is closing in July hopefully that means Mirvish will return to presenting larger shows. I wonder how long the refurbishment back to how it was will take. Maybe Frozen will surprise with a sit down.

"

I don't know about a sitdown for Frozen, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get it in some form next season. Ottawa and Vancouver are getting Frozen this upcoming season, so that hopefully means it goes to Toronto for 2024/2025. It would be similar to what Aladdin did (Ottawa and Vancouver in 22/23, Toronto in 23/24).

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#7A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 4/28/23 at 1:26pm

I feel the Toronto theatre scene is pretty lame considering Toronto is a major city. In the 90s I visited all the time for theatre. They had lots of long sit down productions that opened not long after Broadway. These runs were wildly successful. They had more pre-Broadway runs and often National Tours would have extended runs before they went on tour. 

Now it feels the Mirvish seasons are just a patchwork of a few tours later in the run and a few odd niche plays that no one is really interested in. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Lumiere2 Profile Photo
Lumiere2
#8A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 4/28/23 at 1:35pm

Bettyboy72 said: "Now it feels the Mirvish seasons are just a patchwork of a few tours later in the run and a few odd niche plays that no one is really interested in."

100% agree, and yes. This upcoming year, Mirvish is actually bringing BACK two tours (Les Mis and Aladdin) that already played here 10 years ago. They've never done this before, and the fact two of the seven subscription shows are what are normally "bonus" shows is cheap, and its irked a lot of subscribers.

RUMOURS ONLY...but worth knowing:

1. Only once ever has Mirvish done a sit-down Disney production, and that was Lion King 20 years ago. Every other Disney show has only been a 1-2 month tour stop. No way Frozen does a sit down here.

2. Mirvish is having a continually more difficult time convincing American producers to do a sit down run of the most popular Broadway shows. Most of the titles they really want don't come through because the price tag is too high.

3. The next show they really want to do a sit-down production of is Moulin Rouge! but it's been an almost two year negotiation that's led nowhere. That's what would be the next long-term tenant for the Ed Mirvish Theatre (which currently has Harry Potter from now to July 2)

4. The only confirmed show beyond the subscription season is a third sit-down engagement of Come From Away that's happening "sometime in 2024", according to its press release when the show last closed in Omicron back in Christmas 2021.

William12
#9A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 4/28/23 at 2:13pm

Lumiere2 said: "Bettyboy72 said: "Now it feels the Mirvish seasons are just a patchwork of a few tours later in the run and a few odd niche plays that no one is really interested in."

100% agree, and yes. This upcoming year, Mirvish is actually bringing BACK two tours (Les Mis and Aladdin) that already played here 10 years ago. They've never done this before, and the fact two of the seven subscription shows are what are normally "bonus" shows is cheap, and its irked a lot of subscribers.

RUMOURS ONLY...but worth knowing:

1. Only once ever has Mirvish done a sit-down Disney production, and that was Lion King 20 years ago. Every other Disney show has only been a 1-2 month tour stop. No way Frozen does a sit down here.

2. Mirvish is having a continually more difficult time convincing American producers to do a sit down run of the most popular Broadway shows. Most of the titles they really want don't come through because the price tag is too high.

3. The next show they really want to do a sit-down production of is Moulin Rouge! but it's been an almost two year negotiation that's led nowhere. That's what would be the next long-term tenant for the Ed Mirvish Theatre (which currently has Harry Potter from now to July 2)

4. The only confirmed show beyond the subscription season is a third sit-down engagement of Come From Away that's happening "sometime in 2024", according to its press release when the show last closed in Omicron back in Christmas 2021.
"

I don't have any insider information, but my perception is Mirvish is reluctant to run 2 sitdown productions simultaneously. I know they tried a few years ago with Come from Away and Dear Evan Hansen, but obviously DEH flopped.

SIX is going to be a Canadian sitdown, and I could see it doing well here. I remember reading the plans were for the next Come from Away production to start in Ottawa over the summer 2024, before transferring to Toronto in September 2024. I'm sure it will be part of the subscription, but I honestly kind of wish it wasn't. I'm sure it could sell well enough on its own for a few months at least. Either way, if that timeline hasn't changed, it sounds like SIX has the Royal Alex for around a year.

From what you're saying, it sounds like Moulin Rouge! could end up being another Hamilton type situation, where I recall Mirvish kept holding out for a Canadian production but ended up settling for a tour several years after the tour first started.

I could see Moulin Rouge! doing well here, but if it's going nowhere I could see Mirvish looking to England for another show. I doubt it happens but I feel like & Juliet had strong enough word of mouth that it could sustain a run for at least a few months. Maybe Back to the Future, but that could be a gamble. I'm not sure what else there is.

I would be okay if we don't get many sit downs, but that would only be if we get tours earlier in their runs. I know they kept extending their subscription deadline for renewing subscribers by a few weeks, so that's a clear sign to me that they had issues convincing a lot of their subscribers to renew with the admittedly disappointing season overall. Like you mentioned, I can't understand why we are getting Aladdin (which I seem to recall not doing well here pre-Broadway) and Les Miserables, when there are honestly so many other shows we haven't gotten.

Updated On: 4/28/23 at 02:13 PM

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#10A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 4/28/23 at 2:20pm

"I feel the Toronto theatre scene is pretty lame considering Toronto is a major city"

Toronto has an amazing, diverse theater scene. This is a ridiculous comment. You're correct that the big musical situation isn't what it was in the 90s... hmmm... I wonder who was producing big musicals in Toronto in the 90s and if there's a reason that might have... not been sustainable?

Jesus saves. I spend.

forfivemoreminutes
#11A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 4/28/23 at 2:39pm

Speaking of non-Mirvish productions - are there any productions currently running or that will be running in the next year or so that anyone would recommend? I'm already subscribed to the next seasons of Crow's Theatre and the Canadian Stage Company, but always looking for more recommendations!

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#12A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 4/28/23 at 2:43pm

KJisgroovy said: " You're correct that the big musical situation isn't what it was in the 90s... hmmm... I wonder who was producing big musicals in Toronto in the 90s and if there's a reason that might have... not been sustainable?"

The 90's big musical scene was dominated, and (more or less) created by Garth Drabinsky...and we all know what happened after that. But I think also some had to do with the Canadian Dollar vs. the US Dollar. It made sense to do things here, because money could go farther. Even in the 60's and 70's, Toronto was one of the main stops on a pre-Broadway tour. 

To me, part of the problem in Toronto, when it comes to big national tours of Broadway musicals, is that there is no competition for Mirvish. Not like LA who has the Ahmanson and the Pantages. There was one in the mid 2000's, Dancap Productions who had an amazing first few years, but the problem there was Dancap didn't own a theatre. He had to rent the Elgin and the Toronto Centre for the Arts (formerly the Ford Centre built by Drabinsky). If you have to pay rent, etc. it isn't always a great thing.

The other large house in Toronto, Meridan Hall (formerly the O'Keefe Centre) hasn't brought shows since the early 2000's, and their most recent offering the non-equity tour of The Spongebob Musical vastly underperformed, because (personally, ticket prices were WAY too high for an almost 3200 seat barn. 

Buffalo is a short trip from the Greater Toronto Area, so that is helpful with seeing some shows if you are willing/able to drive there. However, if the show is between Novemeber and April, the wild frequent blizzards that seem to hit Buffalo can stop a trip.

This upcoming season seems to be a step in a right direction for me...someone who just wants to see musicals. Although, bringing Les Mis and Aladdin wouldn't have been my main choices. I got what I want, a full season of musicals, so I can't complain too much. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone
Updated On: 4/28/23 at 02:43 PM

William12
#13A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 4/28/23 at 10:36pm

forfivemoreminutes said: "Speaking of non-Mirvish productions - are there any productions currently running or that will be running in the next year or so that anyone would recommend? I'm already subscribed to the next seasons of Crow's Theatre and the Canadian Stage Company, but always looking for more recommendations!"

It's in Hamilton right now, but I've heard a lot of great things about Maggie, playing at Theatre Aquarius. Some of my friends saw it and liked it, and I know the reviews have been uniformly positive. It's written by and has music by Johnny Reid and produced by Michael Rubinoff (who conceived Come from Away).

tourboi
#14A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 4/30/23 at 9:47pm

Lumiere2 said: 

"

Not for nothing, but Lion King is not the only sit down they've done with Disney. Before that there was a CDN company of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST which ran quite a while at the Princess of Wales. It was the relationship with Disney from that production that led to Mirvish securing the first Lion King sit down post-Broadway. That said, Frozen has underperformed for Disney by comparison to a Beauty or Lion King. It won't likely do a sit down, though I could see an extended tour stop. 

tourboi
#15A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 4/30/23 at 9:49pm

William12 said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Since cursed child is closing in July hopefully that means Mirvish will return to presenting larger shows. I wonder how long the refurbishment back to how it was will take. Maybe Frozen will surprise with a sit down.

"

I don't think Cursed Child's stage deck would not have fit on the Alex stage. Audience size wise? Probably the better house. But the show, as designed, probably wouldn't have worked there. 

StepShuffleBallchange
#16A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 4/30/23 at 10:14pm

I noticed Mirvish is a producer on the ALW Wizard of Oz playing London this summer.  Maybe this will play Toronto at some point?  A stop on the tour or a stand-alone production?

William12
#17A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 4/30/23 at 10:34pm

StepShuffleBallchange said: "I noticed Mirvish is a producer on the ALW Wizard of Oz playing London this summer. Maybe this will play Toronto at some point? A stop on the tour or a stand-alone production?"

That makes sense, and wouldn't surprise me.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#18A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 4/30/23 at 11:48pm

StepShuffleBallchange said: "I noticed Mirvish is a producer on the ALW Wizard of Oz playing London this summer. Maybe this will play Toronto at some point? A stop on the tour or a stand-alone production?"

I can't imagine we'd see another sit-down (there was one in 2012).  Maybe a stop after the UK tour ends (late 2024 or 2025?).

tourboi
#19A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 5/3/23 at 1:26am

Agree with Tag. Another sit down of OZ  probably won't happen, but I could see him bringing it over to close the UK Tour (a la JOSEPH, which he was also an investing producer on), for a limited run, especially since it's an entirely different staging than the original run. 

Lumiere2 Profile Photo
Lumiere2
#20A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 5/9/23 at 3:41pm

William12 said: "SIX is going to be a Canadian sitdown, and I could see it doing well here. It sounds like SIX has the Royal Alex for around a year."

Well...nope. They've announced the dates and it's September 23 to December 17, 2023. While not listed on the National Tour website...that's too short a time for this to be a local production.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#21A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 5/9/23 at 3:49pm

Lumiere2 said: "William12 said: "SIX is going to be a Canadian sitdown, and I could see it doing well here. It sounds like SIX has the Royal Alex for around a year."

Well...nope. They've announced the dates and it's September 23 to December 17, 2023. While not listed on the National Tour website...that's too short a time for this to be a local production.

"

They can always extend…

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#22A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 5/9/23 at 4:51pm

It's worth noting that the post-9/11 passport requirement took a pretty huge hit on the Toronto theatre scene.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#23A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 5/9/23 at 4:55pm

Lumiere2 said: "William12 said: "SIX is going to be a Canadian sitdown, and I could see it doing well here. It sounds like SIX has the Royal Alex for around a year."

"

Except that it is. (Also it starts at the Citadel in August, rehearses in Toronto in July)

lucas8
#24A good season for Toronto Mirvish Theatre.
Posted: 7/22/23 at 12:02am

Hey folks,

Just wanted to share that we have a Reddit community to discuss theatre in Toronto: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/torontotheatre/

Hope to see you there!

Videos