pixeltracker

Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - Reviews, News & Discussion Thread- Page 2

Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - Reviews, News & Discussion Thread

binau Profile Photo
binau
#25Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/25/23 at 4:45am

Trust me, no one wants to replace Charlie Stemp even if they think they do! He is the magnet and glue that is holding this whole show together. It's so rare that someone who is not really a 'name' or celebrity can really command an entire stage/show and bring such star presence. He is a great dancer, but his boyish charm and humour just elevate the whole thing to the next level. You can't take your eyes off him the whole time and when he isn't on stage he is sorely missed. In one reality I would be screaming for the show to transfer so he can win a Tony. My only slight tentativeness is that after seeing Charlie Stemp 3 times on stage now (Hello, Dolly; Marry Poppins; Crazy For You) I DO think his style/shtick starts to feel a little familiar. But it's no less impactful or impressive. 

As for the the evening and show, the heat didn't help but I did feel it was a bit long and slow and there is opportunity to pick up the pace a little at times. The physical production is serviceable/good if a little cheap/tacky feeling at points (super niche observation but it is very hard for me to look at those cheap FOLLIES costumes after seeing Gregg Barnes' Tony-winning costumes in the 2011 FOLLIES revival).

I could imagine the show slotting nicely into a future roundabout season. I think the star is Charlie and not the show in this case. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/25/23 at 04:45 AM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#26Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/25/23 at 5:09am

binau said: "I could imagine the show slotting nicely into a future roundabout season. I think the star is Charlie and not the show in this case."

Charlie is indeed the star! No doubt! If they do transfer this to New York next year, I would hope they bring Carly Anderson over as well! My god that woman is talented! I know she's not a big name either, but the chemistry between her and Charlie last night was just superb!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

yyys
#27Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/25/23 at 8:46am

But it's a British production...?   

George in DC said: "I know this won't be popular but if this transfers, I hope Tony Yazbeck will be the lead. I am tired of British actors getting roles that should go to Americans.

"

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#28Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/25/23 at 10:08am

Zachary Levi would be perfect for this role on Broadway.

What have they done in this revival to age down Bobby? Have they rewritten dialogue? Is Mother cast younger too?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#29Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/25/23 at 10:53am

I don’t think they’ve changed any of the dialogue regarding Bobby. And no, Mother is still played “older grand dame”.

And since Zachary Levi came out as a vaccine conspiracy theorist, I have a feeling he won’t be onstage again anytime soon. 

OuttaTowner
#30Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/25/23 at 11:20am

I don’t see any scenario where this transfers without Charlie (they’d be more inclined to recast the female lead or Zangler).  Bobby calls for someone with a certain boyish charm (how great would it be if a producer with deep pockets could lure Tom Holland back to the stage for this?)

Would love this to be the show that relaunches the Palace. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#31Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/25/23 at 11:36am

It would be an unbelievable coup to get Tom Holland for the role (I assume he'd find it much more challenging than Charlie though who is very much in practice for the stage in this kind of role) and that would suddenly take out a lot of commercial risk with the production if Tom Holland can handle it. I would immediately invest (if I had any money) and want a large theatre. I can't see it happening though, it would just be so much work. Charlie makes it look so easy but I can tell it's really not.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/25/23 at 11:36 AM

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#32Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/25/23 at 12:02pm

I've just realized that when I saw Crazy for You on Broadway, Charlie Stemp wasn't even born yet. 

And now I feel very, very old. blush

OuttaTowner
#33Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/25/23 at 1:49pm

I suspect that for Holland it would be a case of his desire + availability. Much like a Hugh Jackman has been willing to do, it would mean carving out at least two years for such a project. I’m certain that producers would sell millions of dollars of tickets before he ever gave a performance. I’m sure he could handle the dancing and comedy (less certain about whether he can carry a tune).

Anyway, dare to dream!…

BETTY22
#34Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/25/23 at 2:30pm

CHARLIE is a star. Remember when he stole the NYT review when Peters joined the show.

Review: The ‘Dolly’ Parade Marches On, Now With a New Star

A dimply new star has joined the cast of “Hello, Dolly!” and he’s delightful — oh wait.

Perhaps you weren’t asking about Charlie Stemp, the replacement Barnaby Tucker in the hit musical revival that introduced four fresh principals on Thursday evening.

O.K., then: A dimply new star has joined the cast of “Hello, Dolly!” and she’s delightful.

Dollypop
#35Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/25/23 at 4:15pm

Tag said: "Zachary Levi would be perfect for this role on Broadway.

What have they done in this revival to age down Bobby? Have they rewritten dialogue? Is Mother cast younger too?

Zachary Levi is marvelous on stage but he's not a dancer.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#36Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/25/23 at 10:16pm

Tag said: "Zachary Levi would be perfect for this role on Broadway.

"

Zachary has had a few unfortunate social media moments lately...

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#37Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/25/23 at 11:02pm

No one is saying he isn’t talented but will people pay a premium ticket to see him in a show? No body knows. 

A Director
#38Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/26/23 at 6:14am

binau said: " This show is particularly exciting as well as it's the kind of thing that could make it to New York one day.

Crazy For You originated on Broadway!

A Director
#39Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/26/23 at 6:18am

Dylan Smith - Charlie Stemp will turn 30 this November.

A Director
#40Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/26/23 at 6:21am

George in DC said: "I know this won't be popular but if this transfers, I hope Tony Yazbeck will be the lead. I am tired of British actors getting roles that should go to Americans.

The entire cast is British. They haven't taken any role away from an American!
"

A Director
#41Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/26/23 at 6:37am

Most of the comments here are too much. When this production opened last summer, it got rave reviews and so did Charlie Stemp. When this production opens in London the reviews will be raves and Charlie Stemp will be a name. I doubt the show would transfer to Broadway without him.  By the way, Mr. Stemp turns 30  this November.

Dylan Smith4
#42Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/26/23 at 7:43am

Charlie Stemp and Carly Anderson are key to this show! If it does transfer to NYC, they have to be included! They can cast the rest of the company with Americans. Won’t be taking away any opportunities from American Actors! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

binau Profile Photo
binau
#43Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/26/23 at 8:28am

A Director said: "binau said: "This show is particularly exciting as well as it's the kind of thing that could make it to New York one day.

Crazy For You originated on Broadway!

"

I'm not really sure I understand the purpose of this comment - the context of my comment is specifically whether this production launched and mounted in London right now could make it to New York not whether the show has been seen before in NYC or not. 

Owen22
#44Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/26/23 at 9:03am

Isn't the story mainly about Polly.? I remember Jodi Benson and Karen Ziemba. I have no idea (in my memory) who played the male lead. From the beginning of his casting and the show being built around Charlie, I kept asking, isn't this the FEMALE lead's show?

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#45Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/26/23 at 11:41am

Owen22 said: "Isn't the story mainly about Polly.? I remember Jodi Benson and Karen Ziemba. I have no idea (in my memory) who played the male lead. From the beginning of his casting and the show being built around Charlie, I kept asking, isn't this the FEMALE lead's show?"

No the story centers around Bobby.  He has more stage time than Polly as well.
Harry Groener originated the role (and was in his 40s at the time and more age appropriate)

CopleyScott17
#46Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/29/23 at 4:09pm

I'd kill to see this.  I've been a huge fan of Charlie Stemp since I saw him during Bernadette's run of "Hello, Dolly!"  He absolutely oozed charm and charisma.  

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#47Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/29/23 at 9:03pm

Returned to the show tonight once more and what a difference a comfortable, cool theatre makes. As great as Stemp and everyone was that first preview, they were even better tonight. I just love this production so much. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#48Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/29/23 at 9:33pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I don’t think they’ve changed any of the dialogue regarding Bobby. And no, Mother is still played “older grand dame”.

And since Zachary Levi came out as a vaccine conspiracy theorist, I have a feeling he won’t be onstage again anytime soon.
"

Oh no, he seemed so likeable  Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Dylan Smith4
#49Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/30/23 at 3:33am

Jordan Catalano said: "Returned to the show tonight once more and what a difference a comfortable, cool theatre makes. As great as Stemp and everyone was that first preview, they were even better tonight. I just love this production so much."

Great to hear they fixed the air conditioning in that theatre! I don't know if I will get to see it again while I am here, but I'm just glad I got to see it! To anyone on here, if you're visiting London between now and January, this show is a MUST SEE production!