pixeltracker

Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?

Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?

KevinKlawitter
Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#2Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/23 at 9:38am

I’m not surprised. It was playing in London while I was there but I chose not to see it. Didn’t look interesting to me. I wonder if this would be the Almeida’s first Broadway production. Now they just need to bring Frecknall’s Streetcar Named Desire over as well! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Dom P
#3Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/23 at 9:38am

KevinKlawitter said: "After recouping in London, the producers are repeatedly looking for a Broadway home for it"

What about the commercial producers partnering with LCT and presenting it at The Vivian Beaumont Theater?

two ladies tickets
#4Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/23 at 9:53am

The Almeida has had several productions transfer to Broadway. 

Dylan Smith4
#5Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/23 at 10:59am

two ladies tickets said: "The Almeida has had several productions transfer to Broadway."

Thank you for the confirmation! smiley

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#6Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/23 at 1:06pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "two ladies tickets said: "The Almeida has had several productions transfer to Broadway."

Thank you for the confirmation!smiley
"

Ten, to be precise. Let's make it 11!

Dylan Smith4
#7Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/23 at 1:33pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "two ladies tickets said: "The Almeida has had several productions transfer to Broadway."

Thank you for the confirmation!smiley
"

Ten, to be precise. Let's make it 11!
"

Or 12 if we get Streetcar! 🤞🏻

Jarethan
#8Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/23 at 2:54pm

My wife and I loved this play when we saw it at an early preview in late May.  11 weeks and it has returned its investment (largish cast and full set).  How can the Brits do that or what are we doing wrong?

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#9Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/23 at 2:56pm

Jarethan said: "My wife and I loved this play when we saw it at an early preview in late May. 11 weeks and it has returned its investment (largish cast and full set). How can the Brits do that or what are we doing wrong?"

Government subsidies, right? 

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#10Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/23 at 3:13pm

Voter said: "Jarethan said: "My wife and I loved this play when we saw it at an early preview in late May. 11 weeks and it has returned its investment (largish cast and full set). How can the Brits do that or what are we doing wrong?"

Government subsidies, right?
"

And it's just cheaper to capitalize and run a commercial production over there. Nearly every budget line is cheaper than in New York (some significantly so) --- personnel, physical productions, marketing, etc. And Londoners have more of a sustainable appetite for theatre than New Yorkers do, where Broadway relies on tourist dollars.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#11Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/23 at 3:14pm

Peter Morgan has the great ability to take what could be dry or brittle in other hands and make his subjects and stories human, accessible and theatrical. It was true of Frost/Nixon and The Audience on stage, “The Crown” on television, and thankfully, for Patriots, which also benefits from Rupert Goold’s thrilling, visceral production, including another great Miriam Buether set. Patriots starts to take on the quality of a thriller and then the proportions of Shakespearean tragedy with Vladimir Putin’s rise and Boris Berezovsky’s downfall. For those of us who like to have some good smart plays on Broadway, Patriots would be very welcome. (Also, London leads Tom Hollander and Will Keen were great). Fingers crossed for a transfer here. 

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

yyys
#12Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/23 at 11:46pm

1. Government subsidies

2. Unions are not as strong as Broadway

3. Related to 2.-less salaries for actors/everyone involved in production

Jarethan said: "My wife and I loved this play when we saw it at an early preview in late May. 11 weeks and it has returned its investment (largish cast and full set). How can the Brits do that or what are we doing wrong?"

theaterdarling
#13Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?
Posted: 1/15/24 at 7:42pm

Audition dates announced for supporting roles and stage manager submissions requested for Broadway production - so looks like it is definitely coming this year, though no first rehearsal/opening date specifically stated - just 2024. Berezovsky, Putin and Abramovich listed as already cast. Fingers crossed this means Tom Hollander, Will Keen and Luke Thallon will all reprise Almeida/West End roles. Woo Hoo. So looking forward to this. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#14Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?
Posted: 1/15/24 at 7:44pm

Not going to hold my breath after the audition notice for GREAT BRITAIN for an alleged spring opening.

Dylan Smith4
#15Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?
Posted: 1/15/24 at 8:01pm

I assume this will take the Golden, as nothing is scheduled for there now. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#16Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?
Posted: 1/15/24 at 8:17pm

This has the Golden in the fall, after Stereophonic closes.

Oh look, a bibu!

Harriet Craig Profile Photo
Harriet Craig
#17Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/24 at 11:23am

Will Keen, who played Putin in the London production of Patriots, will be Iago in a production of Othello in the Royal Shakespeare Company’s just announced 2024/2025 season (no specific dates yet, just that it will be sometime in the October 2024-March 2025 season). That unfortunately makes it look like he might not be available to do Patriots on Broadway.

OhHiii
#18Peter Morgan's PATRIOTS heading to Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/24 at 11:28am

Imagine there will be a couple houses this could go into this Spring if they really wanted to, but think it's more likely to be Fall. Dear England would need a VERY savvy producer to bring it in with that behemoth of a cast for a play or be produced by Lincoln Center.

Videos