pixeltracker

Favorite and/or Best Movie-to-Musicals, 1980s to Present

Favorite and/or Best Movie-to-Musicals, 1980s to Present

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Favorite and/or Best Movie-to-Musicals, 1980s to Present
Posted: 10/12/23 at 10:43am

I've been thinking a lot about some of the films of the last 40(!) or so years and their respective stage musical adaptations and was curious what everyone considered their favorites and/or the best or most well-crafted/well-translated stage versions. 

The UK is especially getting their fix with "transfers" of Clueless, The Devil Wears Prada, then the upcoming 13 Going On 30, To Wong Foo, The Time Traveller's Wife, etc. and we've both had our share of favorites and award-winners like Legally Blonde, Hairspray, The Band's Visit, Kinky Boots, Matilda, Back to the Future, Waitress, etc.

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
Chaz Hands
#3Favorite and/or Best Movie-to-Musicals, 1980s to Present
Posted: 10/12/23 at 10:53am

I know they are all mainstream, but I think my Top 3 would have to be The Producers, Waitress, and Newsies. I think they’re structured well, have excellent scores, and contain flushed-out characters.

I’m not one though who hates movie-to-musical adaptations, as long as the creative teams go about them with tender love and care. You can miss me with shows that seem hastily developed and altogether aren’t that interesting. (Cough cough Mrs. Doubtfire cough cough)

Rentaholic2
#4Favorite and/or Best Movie-to-Musicals, 1980s to Present
Posted: 10/12/23 at 11:18am

Absolute best is Little Shop of Horrors.  I would also give nods to The Lion King, Hairspray, and Once. 

In hindsight, the early 2000s really was the heyday for movie-to-stage adaptions:  The Producers, The Full Monty, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Hairspray, Spamalot, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, and I would even say The Wedding Singer - all successfully adapted their source material (i.e., they didn't just put the movie on stage) and now stand alone as distinct properties in their own right. It's been pretty hit-or-miss since then (and before then), but that was a pretty good five-year run. 

chrishuyen
#5Favorite and/or Best Movie-to-Musicals, 1980s to Present
Posted: 10/12/23 at 1:59pm

I'd say Legally Blonde improved what was already a good movie (some of it being better for adaptive purposes and some of it just inspired).  I thought the same about Heathers, though I was never a huge fan of the original movie, so the changes made to the musical just suited my tastes better.  

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#6Favorite and/or Best Movie-to-Musicals, 1980s to Present
Posted: 10/12/23 at 3:06pm

La Cage Aux Folles

A Little Night Music

Grand Hotel

Passion

The Lion King

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Jay Lerner-Z
#7Favorite and/or Best Movie-to-Musicals, 1980s to Present
Posted: 10/12/23 at 3:08pm

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Jay Lerner-Z
#8Favorite and/or Best Movie-to-Musicals, 1980s to Present
Posted: 10/12/23 at 3:10pm

Billy Elliot

LuckyDipster Profile Photo
LuckyDipster
#9Favorite and/or Best Movie-to-Musicals, 1980s to Present
Posted: 10/14/23 at 6:42am

Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert and Back To The Future both leave me grinning from ear to ear.  Back in the 90s I saw a short-lived production of Plan 9 From Outer Space that I enjoyed, but it couldn't escape the comparisons to Rocky Horror.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#10Favorite and/or Best Movie-to-Musicals, 1980s to Present
Posted: 10/14/23 at 11:27am

Hairspray, The Band's Visit, Little Shop and La Cage 

guilty pleasure: Xanadu 

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#11Favorite and/or Best Movie-to-Musicals, 1980s to Present
Posted: 10/14/23 at 12:03pm

The Full Monty. Where is that revival, huh? 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#12Favorite and/or Best Movie-to-Musicals, 1980s to Present
Posted: 10/14/23 at 12:52pm

Matilda and La Cage are based on their book and play respectively, so I wouldn’t include those (both incredible).

But Hairspray, Groundhog Day, Full Monty, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Little Shop are my top 5. 

BETTY22
#13Favorite and/or Best Movie-to-Musicals, 1980s to Present
Posted: 10/14/23 at 6:38pm

Hairspray. 

Jarethan
#14Favorite and/or Best Movie-to-Musicals, 1980s to Present
Posted: 10/15/23 at 10:02am

The Producers

Nine

Moulin Rouge

Hairspray

Sunset Blvd.

A Gentleman’s Guide… (Kind Hearts and Coronets)

To me these are the top tier group.

Note: ALNM opened in 1973.

cmorrow
#15Favorite and/or Best Movie-to-Musicals, 1980s to Present
Posted: 10/16/23 at 9:53am

I would give The Color Purple a special mention. Yes, I know it was a novel first, but the stage version had much more in common with the 1985 movie than it did with the novel. And in my opinion, the stage version greatly improves on the Spielberg movie.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#16Favorite and/or Best Movie-to-Musicals, 1980s to Present
Posted: 10/16/23 at 10:53am

Little Shop of Horrors, cause it was not made in any way shape or form trying to cash in on a familiar movie. 

Ftworthguy Profile Photo
Ftworthguy
#17Favorite and/or Best Movie-to-Musicals, 1980s to Present
Posted: 10/16/23 at 2:22pm

For me I'd put Legally Blonde, Billy Elliott, Hairspray, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and The Producers in my top 5

Videos