pixeltracker

London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location

London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location

BETTY22
#1London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 8:04am

The production is not going to a traditional theatre but rather will be performed on a floating venue on the Hudson River.

I love how this production is constantly thinking OUTSIDE the box. 

BorisTomashevsky
#2London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 8:36am

A floating crap game. Genius. 
The theatre owners are gonna be PIIIIIIII$$ED.

Updated On: 12/6/23 at 08:36 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#3London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 8:51am

I think it's possible that the producers already explored traditional theatres and determined it was too expensive or impractical to go down that route and thus had to find other options...

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

inception Profile Photo
inception
#4London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 8:54am

I guess it's really a case where it will either sink or swim.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 9:44am

It also won't have to be EQUITY, then...right?  (I am pro union, so I hope it is .. I'm just curious and asking.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#6London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 9:46am

dramamama611 said: "It also won't have to be EQUITY, then...right? (I am pro union, so I hope it is .. I'm just curious and asking.)"

Equity would absolutely claim jurisdiction over it. Regardless of how it’s staged, it’s a theatre production of a classic musical. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#7London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 10:14am

IF this is true...This will probably be much better for them, financially, than trying to make the numbers work within the confines of Broadway. There will a dozen other challenges. But it allows for much greater flexibility. Good move.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#8London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 10:36am

There is absolutely no Broadway theatre capable of recreating the staging as it is in London. So this alternative doesn't surprise me - but I do think this alternative will still be exorbitantly expensive to produce.  I'm also not really sure there is the audience in New York to justify it, but we shall see. I personally think the secret sauce of the production's success in London is the casting - not the staging.

My questions are:  what kind of union contract will this be on. 

I presume this will not be eligible for Tony consideration (unless maybe all union contracts are compatible with Broaday contracts) - HOWEVER - I hope this kind of experiment continues to push a dialogue about expanding what might be considered eligible for Tony consideration.  The League needs to start expanding their vision if they want awards to reflect quality and not just what is an ever increasing move on Broadway away from theatre to tourist entertainment.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#9London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 10:38am

Kad said: "dramamama611 said: "It also won't have to be EQUITY, then...right? (I am pro union, so I hope it is .. I'm just curious and asking.)"

Equity would absolutely claim jurisdiction over it. Regardless of how it’s staged, it’s a theatre production of a classic musical.
"

Not necessarily. I think its highly unlikely, but the show could be done completely non union, as is the case with SLEEP NO MOIRE.  Equity can't claim jurisdiction over anything unless its performed in a venue that is under equity jurisdiction. That doesn't automatically extend to a boat in the Hudson.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#10London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 10:56am

If they are planning on using Equity members- and I cannot imagine they wouldn’t- Equity will absolutely claim jurisdiction. And if they aren’t planning on using Equity members, I cannot imagine a scenario in which Equity would not make a fuss over a high profile, big budget production of a classic musical in NYC, regardless of whether it is in midtown or floating in the Hudson, not using union performers.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

dramamama611
#11London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 10:57am

QueenAlice said: "Kad said: "dramamama611 said: "It also won't have to be EQUITY, then...right? (I am pro union, so I hope it is .. I'm just curious and asking.)"

"

Not necessarily. I think its highly unlikely, but the show could be done completely non union, as is the case with SLEEP NO MOIRE. Equity can't claim jurisdiction over anything unless its performed in a venue that is under equity jurisdiction. That doesn't automatically extend to a boat in the Hudson.
"

This is what I was thinking... It will be interesting to see how this proceeds. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#12London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 10:58am

If it went non equity would that mean they couldn’t get talented equity NYC actors? Cause that seems like a bad idea…

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

akhoya87
#13London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 11:03am

Can't wait to see what federal maritime law has to say about theatre unions...

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#14London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 11:05am

Equity has not pursued shows like Sleep No More- large, sprawling, movement-based original pieces that don’t adhere to traditional curtain up/curtain down runtimes- because they’re a logistical nightmare and would basically require bespoke contracts for each production. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#15London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 11:43am

Union contracts aside, I am more curious what the venue would be. A custom space on a barge or boat would need a dock and presumably a large vessel. There are existing sites on the Hudson- Little Island has a large open air performance venue with a great deal of production infrastructure in its sub level. Pier 17 is already a flexible concert and event venue. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#16London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 12:23pm

How far out are international waters?

/s

Kad said: "If they are planning on using Equity members- and I cannot imagine they wouldn’t- Equity will absolutely claim jurisdiction. And if they aren’t planning on using Equity members, I cannot imagine a scenario in which Equity would not make a fuss over a high profile, big budget production of a classic musical in NYC, regardless of whether it is in midtown or floating in the Hudson, not using union performers.

"

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#17London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 12:30pm

binau said: "If it went non equity would that mean they couldn’t get talented equity NYC actors? Cause that seems like a bad idea…"

Correct. If it was non-Equity, the performers would either be people you've never heard of (many of them straight out of drama school), or people who aren't known for theatre and have never been part of Equity (i.e. American Idol or Housewives stars).

It's silly to even float the idea that this would not be an Equity production.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#18London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 12:31pm

Kad said: "If they are planning on using Equity members- and I cannot imagine they wouldn’t- Equity will absolutely claim jurisdiction. And if they aren’t planning on using Equity members, I cannot imagine a scenario in which Equity would not make a fuss over a high profile, big budget production of a classic musical in NYC, regardless of whether it is in midtown or floating in the Hudson, not using union performers.

"

AEA is a piss-poor union that rarely does much productive fiighting for its members. If anyone makes a fuss you can bet ith will be stemming from the stage hand unions, with AEA feebly falling in line.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#19London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 12:35pm

But we could get Patti LuPone as… whoever she wants to play!

dramamama611
#20London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 12:41pm

Eddie Hirsch
#21London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 1:01pm

Certainly an innovative idea re the theatre space.... and quite challenging if it's a non-equity production.  The roles are iconic- Sky Masterson, Adelaide and Nathan and would seem to call for experienced Broadway performers-- but there is so much talent out there, who knows?   What capacity will the venue have?  And Iwonder what happens in a steamy summer apropos a fully air-conditioned space (or a fully heated space in the winter).

lopside
#22London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 1:03pm

This sounds so fake. You need a packed audience to really serve the atmosphere of the staging and this sounds an expensive and impractical thing that is bound to hinder audience numbers. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#23London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 1:50pm

But is the production not the show? Like how drastic of a new take on the material is it that they can complete change the setting and direction and it’s still the same revival? Or is just its own unique thing now. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#24London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 2:17pm

truly absurd that anyone thinks the OP is serious 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#25London production of Guys & Dolls secured NYC location
Posted: 12/6/23 at 3:06pm

Could the fact that it's not on Broadway backfire?  I mean, being on Broadway has it's advantages too.