pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/2/24 at 4:34pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 12/31/2023 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: KIMBERLY AKIMBO (22.4%), HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO (20.6%), A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (17.8%), SPAMALOT (15.5%), HARMONY (13.7%), SHUCKED (11.9%), APPROPRIATE (10.5%), SOME LIKE IT HOT (9.9%), PURLIE VICTORIOUS: A NON-CONFEDERATE ROMP THROUGH THE COTTON PATCH (7%), GUTENBERG! THE MUSICAL! (6.6%), CHICAGO (6.4%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (4.6%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (4.1%), THE LION KING (3.5%), PRAYER FOR THE FRENCH REPUBLIC (3.3%), SIX (3.1%), BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL (2.1%), & JULIET (1.9%), ALADDIN (1.9%), MJ THE MUSICAL (1.8%), HADESTOWN (1.6%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (1.3%), I NEED THAT (0.6%), HAMILTON (0.4%), WICKED (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET (-0.3%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/2/24 at 4:43pm

I feel like one of Pavlov’s dogs right now looking at these figures! 

Nice strong ending for Some Like It Hot

We’re gonna see some big-time drops this week. 

Oh look, a bibu!

BoringBoredBoard40
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/2/24 at 4:46pm

some of these numbers are truly wild. 

chrishuyen
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/2/24 at 4:46pm

It's nice to see that Ohio managed to get more people into the theater, but wow, the numbers for Harmony are looking really rough.  Some great numbers in general across the board otherwise though--both Wicked and Lion King over $4 million, wow!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/2/24 at 4:47pm

I’m curious by how much does a shows weekly nut inflate when they add the 9th performance. Was it even worth it for Harmony to add the 9th show? 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Jarethan
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/2/24 at 4:56pm

Despite a recent subject about good word of mouth for Harmony, its word of mouth must truly be awful.  More people saw Ohio last week than Harmony, despite Harmony having a 9 performance week.  I wonder whether it is sheer vanity keeping it open (clearly, I didn't like it) or the misguided belief that somehow things are still going to turn around for it. 

Ensemble1671017357
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/2/24 at 5:00pm

Jarethan said: "Despite a recent subject about good word of mouth for Harmony, its word of mouth must truly be awful. More people saw Ohio last week than Harmony, despite Harmony having a 9 performance week. I wonder whether it is sheer vanity keeping it open (clearly, I didn't like it) or the misguided belief that somehow things are still going to turn around for it.

"

How much does intimidation play into attendance? 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/2/24 at 5:50pm

chrishuyen said: "It's nice to see that Ohio managed to get more people into the theater, but wow, the numbers for Harmony are looking really rough. Some great numbers in general across the board otherwise though--both Wicked and Lion King over $4 million, wow!"

Have we ever had shows hit the $4M mark before?

Re: HARMONY - compared to its most recent 8- performance week (2 cycles ago), its gross only went up about $9K and the ATP has dropped nearly $30 in the last two weeks, which means they are doing a lot of papering. Going that deep in the numbers, HARMONY is in terrible shape, especially for a holiday weekend.

HOW TO DANCE did get a nice holiday bump, but was also heavily papered since it got those mixed and polite reviews. It’s gonna probably sink next week,

Both of these bigger-budget musicals also managed to fall below and gross less than PURLIE VICTORIOUS, which had seldom sold more than 60-70% of its seats at any given point in the run. 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

chrishuyen
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/2/24 at 5:55pm

Quick check at the grosses says that Lion King also managed over $4 million this same time last year, and Hamilton did it in the last week of 2018, which also just shows how much they were charging considering they're in a much smaller theater than either Wicked or Lion King

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/2/24 at 6:36pm

HARMONY really only grossed $550k through 9 performances? YIKES

HARMONY & OHIO need to announce closing notices already.

Next week's grosses will look drastically different, especially if that Nor'easter causes havoc over the weekend.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

sppunk
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/2/24 at 7:47pm

$2.7m+ for Cursed Child sets the record for a weekly gross for a straight play on Broadway.  

That’s kinda wild.  

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/2/24 at 8:27pm

sppunk said: "$2.7m+ for Cursed Child sets the record for a weekly gross for a straight play on Broadway.

That’s kinda wild.
"

It probably also set the record for little kids screaming up and down the aisles with chocolate frogs smeared all over their faces and foreign tourists talking at full volume through the entire show. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/2/24 at 8:36pm

Matt Rogers said: "sppunk said: "$2.7m+ for Cursed Child sets the record for a weekly gross for a straight play on Broadway.

That’s kinda wild.
"

It probably also set the record for little kids screaming up and down the aisles with chocolate frogs smeared all over their faces and foreign tourists talking at full volume through the entire show.
"

my god who hurt you dude?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/2/24 at 8:50pm

The next couple of weeks will be rough as tourists are slowly leaving the city this week. We do have 2for1 Bway week in 2weeks so shows will see a bump from 1/16-2/4 then babye.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 1/2/24 at 08:50 PM

Jarethan
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/2/24 at 9:57pm

Ensemble1671017357 said: "Jarethan said: "Despite a recent subject about good word of mouth for Harmony, its word of mouth must truly be awful. More people saw Ohio last week than Harmony, despite Harmony having a 9 performance week. I wonder whether it is sheer vanity keeping it open (clearly, I didn't like it) or the misguided belief that somehow things are still going to turn around for it.

"

How much does intimidation play into attendance?
"

??????

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/2/24 at 11:10pm

I did the rush for Harmony last Wednesday. It was a two show day, meaning 36 tickets available for $18. When the box office opened, there were maximum 20 people in line, with a limit of one ticket per person. 

At least from what I saw, it looked like the supply was more than the demand for rush tickets, even at an $18 price point. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/3/24 at 10:10am

Love seeing Kimberly making some $

hearthemsing22
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/3/24 at 10:54am

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Matt Rogers said: "sppunk said: "$2.7m+ for Cursed Child sets the record for a weekly gross for a straight play on Broadway.

That’s kinda wild.
"

"

"

I don't know about you, but personally I would not want that happening at a show I attend. Do you? You'd be okay with that?

Ensemble1686998462
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/3/24 at 11:08am

RippedMan said: "Love seeing Kimberly making some $"

There's a lot of rumor, considering Victoria's recent social media post, that the show is going to be announcing a closing soon. True or not I'm happy the show got a nice bounce during the holiday week. I just want the show to go out, whenever it does, respectfully. 

Jarethan
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/3/24 at 1:17pm

hearthemsing22 said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Matt Rogers said: "sppunk said: "$2.7m+ for Cursed Child sets the record for a weekly gross for a straight play on Broadway.

That’s kinda wild.
"

"

"

I don't know about you, but personally I would not want that happening at a show I attend. Do you? You'd be okay with that?
"

I have to say that at the matinee performance I attended -- I got a discounted ticket in the 11th or 12th row center on the aisle no less -- I was amazed at the constant stream of people from the first 7 - 8 rows of the orchestra to the rest rooms, I assume.  For me, it occurred so often that it was distracting (which was not actually a problem, since I was pretty bored anyway).  What also amazed me about that was the number of people who paid for premium priced tickets to take their 6 and 7-year-old children to see HP.  Of course, that was evidence again with the grosses of the famiiy-friendly shows last week.  When the average ticket price for The Lion King is $286 -- any question that this will run much longer than Phantom? -- I am just boggled.  

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/31/23
Posted: 1/3/24 at 1:23pm

Ensemble1686998462 said: "RippedMan said: "Love seeing Kimberly making some $"

There's a lot of rumor, considering Victoria's recent social media post, that the show is going to be announcing a closing soon. True or not I'm happy the show got a nice bounce during the holiday week. I just want the show to go out, whenever it does, respectfully.
"

Same! I don’t think anyone expected it to be a long runner. But I think it’s had a good run and should do well regionally.