pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/9/24 at 3:15pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 1/7/2024 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: PURLIE VICTORIOUS: A NON-CONFEDERATE ROMP THROUGH THE COTTON PATCH (8.2%), PRAYER FOR THE FRENCH REPUBLIC (2.6%), SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET (1%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (-19.3%), HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO (-15.9%), CHICAGO (-11.8%), KIMBERLY AKIMBO (-7.1%), HARMONY (-7%), SPAMALOT (-4.8%), APPROPRIATE (-3.8%), SIX (-3.1%), GUTENBERG! THE MUSICAL! (-2.7%), THE LION KING (-2.5%), BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL (-2.3%), ALADDIN (-1.7%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-1.6%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-1.6%), WICKED (-1.5%), SHUCKED (-1.4%), & JULIET (-0.6%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (-0.5%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-0.3%), HAMILTON (-0.2%), HADESTOWN (-0.2%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/9/24 at 3:17pm

Hello Winter!

Still some great grosses though.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 1/9/24 at 03:17 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/9/24 at 3:19pm

Curious to see if A Beautiful Noise can sustain itself for the Winter with those type of numbers.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ElephantLoveMedley
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/9/24 at 3:21pm

& Juliet pulling in over $1.1 million for a seven-performance week is quite impressive.

InTheBathroom1
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/9/24 at 3:23pm

Back down to earth after the stratospheric highs of last week. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/9/24 at 3:40pm

All things considered, a pretty good first two previews for Days of Wine and Roses. That’s a $648K total for an 8-show week at that average, not bad for a small-ish new musical - and they played to SRO crowds! 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 1/9/24 at 03:40 PM

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/9/24 at 3:50pm

What's at the Music Box, Belasco & Barrymore this spring?

ElephantLoveMedley
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/9/24 at 3:57pm

CoffeeBreak said: "What's at the Music Box, Belasco & Barrymore this spring?"

Suffs starts previews in March and opens in April at the Music Box.

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/9/24 at 4:25pm

Today on The View everyone in the audience got free Harmony tickets.  

OhHiii
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/9/24 at 4:47pm

Remember when the $1mil club was a feat? Now it's often a necessity. So crazy how fast that changed.

pablitonizer
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/9/24 at 4:48pm

We should be getting a closing notice for Harmony soon but I believe How to dance in Ohio will hold until February 

I wonder if 'The karate kid' musical is coming to Broadway in 2024 since there's a sixth film coming this year as well

Lumiere2 Profile Photo
Lumiere2
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/9/24 at 5:26pm

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the producers of Harmony are delusionally keeping the show open until Tonys time to see if a miracle occurs - but I'd also be shocked if the have enough money in reserves to keep going that long.

If it's not that, I really don't understand how on Earth the show hasn't yet posted a closing notice.

OhHiii
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/9/24 at 5:30pm

Given the Barrymore was offered to Sunset Boulevard for this season, it would seem Harmony's closing plans are already decided. Just a matter of when they announce it. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/9/24 at 6:18pm

pablitonizer said: "We should be getting a closing notice for Harmony soon but I believe How to dance in Ohio will hold until February

I would sooner see it happening the other way around. Both are circling the drain, sure, but I can imagine HARMONY has some money behind it that OHIO doesn’t (we don’t know what the celebrity producers actually contributed)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/9/24 at 7:11pm

Huss417 said: "Hello Winter!

Still some great grosses though.
"

I would actually say not Winter quite yet. This is still the tail end of the Holiday seasons. A lot of schools still on break, a lot of people taking advantage of things not being quite as expensive as closer to Christmas. As such, we still ended up with a solid week, although nowhere near last week. I worry for next week and beyond though. 

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/10/24 at 2:49pm

quizking101 said: "pablitonizer said: "We should be getting a closing notice for Harmony soon but I believe How to dance in Ohio will hold until February

I would sooner see it happening the other way around. Both are circling the drain, sure, but I can imagine HARMONY has some money behind it that OHIO doesn’t (we don’t know what the celebrity producers actually contributed)
"

A couple important things to consider about How to Dance in Ohio:

1. Fiona Rudin has access to more money than most of us would ever be able to fathom.

2. She is genuinely passionate about the mission of this show and representation in the arts. So she will likely keep the show going past what most other producers would declare it's expiration date in order to further the show's goals (indeed, she already has). 

I for one am glad it's still running. There are some aspects of the show I wish were changed prior to its Broadway bow (The design makes no sense to me. I didn't really think the therapist character justified the sheer amount of story/songs he had...and I REALLY could not have cared less about his daughter's story). BUT it's quite refreshing to have a wealthy producer like this who is steadfast in her commitment to expanding representation on Broadway. So often we see how difficult it is to market Broadway stories about marginalized groups, and they can fold before they ever have a hope of becoming part of the conversation. The shows close and we think "well, it's a business." But perhaps giving these stories a longer shelf life than normal, by way of running at a loss for producers who can afford such an endeavor, will help similar shows get produced. And more importantly, spark different ideas at how to better advertise/market something outside the norm to the masses.

BoringBoredBoard40
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/10/24 at 2:54pm

Ohio has about 4-5 weeks left. 

pablitonizer
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/10/24 at 3:55pm

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "quizking101 said: "pablitonizer said: "We should be getting a closing notice for Harmony soon but I believe How to dance in Ohio will hold until February

"

A couple important things to consider about How to Dance in Ohio:

1. Fiona Rudin has access to more money than most of us would ever be able to fathom.

2. She is genuinely passionate about the mission of this show and representation in the arts. So she will likely keep the show going past what most other producers would declare it's expiration date in order to further the show's goals (indeed, she already has).

I for one am glad it's still running. There are some aspects of the show I wish were changed prior to its Broadway bow (The design makes no sense to me. I didn't really think the therapist character justified the sheer amount of story/songs he had...and I REALLY could not have cared less about his daughter's story). BUT it's quite refreshing to have a wealthy producer like this who is steadfast in her commitment to expanding representation on Broadway. So often we see how difficult it is to market Broadway stories about marginalized groups, and they can fold before they ever have a hope of becoming part of the conversation. The shows close and we think "well, it's a business." But perhaps giving these stories a longer shelf life than normal, by way of running at a loss for producers who can afford such an endeavor, will help similar shows get produced. And more importantly, spark different ideas at how to better advertise/market something outside the norm to the masses.
"

Lol what?

Word on the street is that Ohio closes mid/late February so we'll see 

Updated On: 1/10/24 at 03:55 PM

Jarethan
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/10/24 at 4:46pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "All things considered, a pretty good first two previews for Days of Wine and Roses. That’s a $648K total for an 8-show week at that average, not bad for a small-ish new musical - and they played to SRO crowds!

Reminder that they were also week-end performances, certainly not representative of Tu - Th performances.

Re the post about how last week was more pre-winter, due to proximity to the holidays, I agree.  BUT maybe we will be lucky and it will be a winter season like last year...remember how well things held up in general?

Updated On: 1/10/24 at 04:46 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/10/24 at 5:29pm

It seems to me the only shows in danger are the ones that have been in danger for weeks/months. This doesn’t seem like a year in which there’ll be a big winter cull. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/10/24 at 5:44pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Ohio has about 4-5 weeks left."

If you account for the fact that Ohio had to cancel a performance this past week, they aren't doing terribly. (Made about as much in a 7-performance week as they were in an 8-performance week pre-Christmas). Yes, numbers are concerning, but maybe not quite as dire as they were.

I just booked accommodations for the first weekend in March to go see it, so I'm really crossing my fingers it'll hold on til then. Probably going to wait on buying tickets though, just to hopefully avoid having to exchange them if they do in fact announce a closing for before then.

I am a bit concerned though as the 2-for-1 Broadway week tickets are coming up, how that's going to effect things. One one side, grosses are inevitably going to be lower with the discounts, but on the flip side, hopefully it'll get capacity up and maybe increase the word-of-mouth, so we'll see...

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/10/24 at 6:30pm

Kad said: "It seems to me the only shows in danger are the ones that have been in danger for weeks/months. This doesn’t seem like a year in which there’ll be a big winter cull."

Agreed. We already have a date for Akimbo and much of the rest is limited runs. It's really just Harmony and Ohio.

caitlinette Profile Photo
caitlinette
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/10/24 at 9:44pm

I wonder how the actors in these shows feel knowing that their show isn’t doing so great. Do they pay attention to grosses? If not, they surely must hear rumblings. Must be hard to keep up morale when you feel the guillotine is about to drop :( 

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/10/24 at 11:43pm

I'm sure the actors can tell by the sea of empty seats in front of them.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/7/24
Posted: 1/11/24 at 12:51am

I was at Harmony Saturday matinee and it was packed. It looked nearly sold out.