pixeltracker

2024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread- Page 3

2024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread

KevinKlawitter
#502024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/12/24 at 12:28pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I haven't heard anything recently about MOTIVE and DEAR ENGLAND transfers, but MOTIVE seems more likely based on subject matter."Acclaimed actors playing pop culture legends" vs "British Football Play." MOTIVE also has the Mendes factor + aslightlysmaller cast (19 vs 25)."

I was thinking it would make sense for Dear England to wait until after the Olivier nominations and/or wins to announce a transfer because to us philistine Americans "Award-winning British football play" is more appealing than "British football play".

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#512024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/12/24 at 12:50pm

KevinKlawitter said: "And did Branagh's Lear get totally blanked, or wasn't it eligible?
It was eligible, it just wasn't very good 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#522024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/12/24 at 5:37pm

That king Lear is going to the shed this fall I believe.  Susan stroman got a nomination for choreography.  Does anyone think Crazy for you will make its way across the pond?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#532024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/12/24 at 9:33pm

No. Crazy For You didn’t do very well over there and most probably won’t win any awards so there’s really no “buzz” for a transfer happening. 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#542024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/12/24 at 9:50pm

Jordan Catalano said: "No. Crazy For You didn’t do very well over there and most probably won’t win any awards so there’s really no “buzz” for a transfer happening."

Which is a shame cause this was an incredible production. Got raves from the critics but failed to find an audience. Hey, at least we will have the experience of that first preview! Boy, the audience was WILD that night!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Voter
#552024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/24 at 1:04pm

How can I watch this on YouTube? Or anywhere else? I was able to watch last years. It says the video is not available in your country.

Jordan Catalano
#562024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/24 at 1:09pm

It’s stupidly not available in the USA/UK/Canada. You need a VPN to watch. It’s live now. 

Voter
#582024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/24 at 1:13pm

Jordan Catalano said: "It’s stupidly not available in the USA/UK/Canada. You need a VPN to watch. It’s live now."

Can you suggest a VPN app or website for this kind of thing? Thank you in advance

Jordan Catalano
#592024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/24 at 1:15pm

I use Mullvad VPN. Never had any problems with it. 

Voter
#602024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/24 at 1:17pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I use Mullvad VPN. Never had any problems with it."

Thank you! Is that an app with blue mountain or an animal with a hat?

Jordan Catalano
#612024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/24 at 1:20pm

Animal with yellow hat 

Feidlimid
#622024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/24 at 1:44pm

Mullvad is the one I use too. 

So so pumped that Snook won!

Scott losing is not one I expected. His performance was perhaps even more acclaimed than Snook's, as a one person deal. Updated On: 4/14/24 at 01:44 PM

Jordan Catalano
#632024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/24 at 1:52pm

Gatiss has had the momentum for so long though. It was a phenomenal performance.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#642024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/24 at 1:53pm

Snook is a star, and I hope this NY transfer is confirmed soon.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#652024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/24 at 1:55pm

Wallace killed it, of course, and Guys and Dolls is already a huge hit. But, it feels odd to not do Luck Be a Lady or Sit Down You're Rocking the Boat. Is Take Back Your Mink more iconic than I realize? 

Updated On: 4/14/24 at 01:55 PM

lopside
#662024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/24 at 1:55pm

It's also because Gatiss is looking to transfer. Scott won two critics' prizes and made a boatload of cash at the cinema box office. 

Voter
#672024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/24 at 2:26pm

A couple of thoughts so far:

The Little Big Things reminds me of How To Dance in Ohio (in a negative way). I absolutely loved Ohio and I don’t think The Little Big Things will do well in NY. It seems like a smaller scale than Ohio

HUGE WINS for: Snook’s play so far, Lloyd winning for Sunset BLVD and Dear England winning for Best Play. 

Will Dear England actually transfer now?

Jeff Tupolski Profile Photo
Jeff Tupolski
#682024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/24 at 2:33pm

jkcohen626 said: "Wallace killed it, of course, and Guys and Dolls is already a huge hit. But, it feels odd to not do Luck Be a Lady or Sit Down You're Rocking the Boat. Is Take Back Your Mink more iconic than I realize?"

No, you’re not wrong. Even in terms of Adelaide’s songs alone, there are several more iconic ones than Take Back Your Mink. It’s not the high point of the role, but if you’re gonna highlight Wallace, this is arguably the most fitting number she has for the Oliviers. I’d personally have loved to see her do Adelaide’s Lament or have her and Daniel Mays do Sue Me, but I’m sure the team didn’t want to have just one or two actors onstage.

They probably also figured the two signature numbers have been done so often it was worth bringing out a deeper track. This production has already showcased Sit Down You’re Rocking the Boat before, and they probably wouldn’t want to showcase Andrew Richardson doing Luck Be a Lady over a significantly more acclaimed costar.

OhHiii
#692024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/24 at 2:37pm

That Sunset Blvd performance was pretty spectacular. Reading about how it’s handled and seeing just how it’s done are two whole different things. Had chills the whole time.

butlervyer
#702024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/24 at 2:46pm

I thought the Sunset performance was such a nothingburger, exactly as it was during the show too. The actual material itself lands without any impact, it's purely about them getting the technical timing right. It barely even relates to/ situates itself among the lyrics. 

OhHiii
#712024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/24 at 2:48pm

butlervyer said: "I thought the Sunset performance was such a nothingburger, exactly as it was during the show too. The actual material itself lands without any impact, it's purely about them getting the technical timing right. It barely even relates to/ situates itself among the lyrics."

Lol yall move so quick when anyone praises this production. It’s inarguably a feat to pull off.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#722024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/24 at 3:18pm

Congrats to Sunset Boulevard on a record-setting night. 

NYC will get the chance to see at least six of today’s Olivier-nominated shows within the next year or so!

Oh look, a bibu!

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#732024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/24 at 3:29pm

Is The Witches dead?

It seems to be very absent from tonight's ceremony. Sad, I was hoping it would find its way to me someday, or at least get a cast recording.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Jordan Catalano
#742024 Olivier Awards - Predictions/News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/24 at 3:30pm

I haven’t heard a single peep about The Witches having another life. It needs a LOT of work before it could come back.