Seth MacFarlane to Broadway?

macbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
#1Seth MacFarlane to Broadway?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 8:07am

I remember the rumors (and hopes) of him replacing in The Music Man, or joining Spamalot. It seems like only a matter of time before we get him to the stage. Any wish list ideas? 

Alex Kulak2
#2Seth MacFarlane to Broadway?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 10:41am

He would absolutely crush as Sky Masterson in Guys and Dolls.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3Seth MacFarlane to Broadway?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 10:49am

He'd be fantastic in a whole lot of shows. I've always assumed he's been offered many Broadway shows over the years and has turned them down, probably because he doesn't want to do 8 shows a week for a sustained period of time. Though to that end, I'm surprised he hasn't even done a limited-run concert production or Encores revival of something.

Wish he hadn't royally F'd up his chances at ever hosting the Oscars again with that disaster of an opening number ("we saw your boobs!"). He's sort of tailor-made to be an Oscars host. Big whiff on the part of him and Zaden & Meron who produced that ceremony.

leefowler
#4Seth MacFarlane to Broadway?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 10:55am

There’s always been a rivalry between him and Matt Stone and Trey Parker. I really thought after Book Of Mormon he would write his own show, especially considering how much he loves musicals. I still wish he would.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

KevinKlawitter
#5Seth MacFarlane to Broadway?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 11:05am

leefowler said: "There’s always been a rivalry between him and Matt Stone and Trey Parker. I really thought after Book Of Mormon he would write his own show, especially considering how much he loves musicals. I still wish he would."

I suspect he will before too long - I wouldn't be surprised if his first acting role on Broadway will be in a show he wrote. Probably one of the reasons he hasn't performed on stage yet is because he's constantly juggling three or four TV shows as a writer/producer/actor and (as mentioned above) the time commitment for Broadway on top of that would be too much. If/when he does it it will probably be something he's fully committed himself to.

I'm also curious if Weird Al will ever write a show - there is an apocryphal story that he was approached to do the score for a musical adaptation of Airplane! but backed out when he found out it was being made without the approval or input of the ZAZ team.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#6Seth MacFarlane to Broadway?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 11:09am

This really feels like something that would’ve already happened if he wanted to do it. He does seem perfectly suited to it and has a really great, golden age crooner singing voice. But now he’s kind of on the cusp of aging out of a lot of the best roles for him. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Phantom4ever
#7Seth MacFarlane to Broadway?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 11:16am

Macfarlane loves 1930's screwball musical comedies (movies) and he has been about to live out that dream many times through the many "Road to..." Family guy episodes. He doesn't get to do the choreo but he gets to sing the Brian and Stewie parts and I think that's satisfying enough for him. He can make new episodes of those whenever he wants. 

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#8Seth MacFarlane to Broadway?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 12:44pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "He would absolutely crush as Sky Masterson in Guys and Dolls."

Omg yes. 

Throw in Lady Gaga as Adelaide, Pedro Pascal as Nathan, and Joy Woods as Sarah and we're off to the races.

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#9Seth MacFarlane to Broadway?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 12:54pm

Jamie Parker, Seth MacFarlane and the John Wilson Orchestra

Non sibi sed patriae

Owen22
#10Seth MacFarlane to Broadway?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 1:04pm

Highland Guy said: "Jamie Parker, Seth MacFarlane and the John Wilson Orchestra

Well...THAT was joy!                                                  and Jamie Parker! (Who was always my favorite History Boy)

"

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#11Seth MacFarlane to Broadway?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 1:17pm

If I had my wish, I’d see Seth produce an animated movie musical of Guys and Dolls, pulling stylistic inspiration from the Golden Age of animation 1920-1960. Rapid fire, gags a plenty, in that vintage midcentury animation style that has come back into popularity in the last few years. (Hand drawn ideally.)

Seth would then play a dual role: his natural voice as Sky Masterson, and his comedy voice as Nicely.  Get Alex Borstein to reprise Adelaide from the concert tour with Seth, and then one of his beloved jazz-pop crossover ladies as Sarah. (I can already hear Norah Jones crooning “If I Were a Bell.”)

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#12Seth MacFarlane to Broadway?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 1:18pm

I prefer his Ya Got Trouble from the 2012 BBC Proms. He would have been better than Hugh Jackman in that role. Suited him perfectly. Alas.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Alex Kulak2
#13Seth MacFarlane to Broadway?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 1:22pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "I prefer his Ya Got Trouble from the 2012 BBC Proms. He would have been better than Hugh Jackman in that role. Suited him perfectly. Alas."

Society if the timing had worked out differently and Music Man was still running during the WGA and SAG strikes:

Futuristic Utopia Meme Generator - Imgflip

KevinKlawitter
#14Seth MacFarlane to Broadway?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 1:34pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "Jay Lerner-Z said: "I prefer his Ya Got Trouble from the 2012 BBC Proms. He would have been better than Hugh Jackman in that role. Suited him perfectly. Alas."

Society if the timing had worked out differently and Music Man was still running during the WGA and SAG strikes:

Futuristic Utopia Meme Generator - Imgflip
"

I always thought that production should have been open-ended or at least could have had a life beyond Jackman by way of stunt casting/prestigious replacements, kind of like Tveit and Foster replacing Groban ans Ashford in Sweeney Todd. There were any number of actors who could have taken over- MacFarlane, NPH, Norm Lewis...

But it was not to be, I guess.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#15Seth MacFarlane to Broadway?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 2:01pm

Music Man would have to be restaged, or at least have an "alternate staging" like Chicago, for a leading man who isn't an athletic triple threat like Hugh Jackman. The whole point of that show's design was around his mix of acting, singing and fancy footwork. I can't imagine anyone like those names WANTING to try and do Jackman's version of Harold Hill.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#16Seth MacFarlane to Broadway?
Posted: 2/1/24 at 2:03pm

No sane legitimately famous person (or their agent) should have wanted to replace Jackman as Harold Hill, full-stop. We see this all the time with celeb-driven shows that try to replace. People don't want to be compared, and more often than not the sales take a massive dip. 

And since that show had a reluctant lead producer to begin with in Barry Diller, I'm sure he was happy to get out clean.

Updated On: 2/1/24 at 02:03 PM