Fantasia was Robbed!

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#1Fantasia was Robbed!
Posted: 2/5/24 at 7:53pm

I first saw Fantasia's display of acting talent back when she sang "I'm Here" from The Color Purple at the 2007 Tony Awards. I thought she was so good, and I don't often notice such good acting and singing together from musicals that aren't of much interest to me. She was remarkable. Fast forward to very recently, and though I had only wanted to see the orginal, non-musical The Color Purple for a while because it is known as a classic, it wasn't until a friend told me how much they loved the film that I finally checked it out. It was a wonderful, amazing film, where Whoopi and Oprah really shone in fantastic performances. So, when the musical film came out, I was thinking I'd check it out. I didn't hear much about it when it came out, and the little I heard from some people was that it was bad, so I expected it to be bad, but I finally checked it out and...it was a wonderful movie in its own right! Sure, the songs kinda stop the story, and in my opinion, don't add much. But the way they did the story and acting, plus, sure, great singing, it was beautiful! Sofia's actress was great, don't get me wrong, she deserves her Oscar nom. But I thought Fantasia as Celie was one of the best, most touching peformances I have ever seen. When she finds out her sister was still alive, and writing her, it made tears well up in my eyes. When she found out her real father and mother loved her and gave her that store, I also became so emotional tears almost came again. I truly expected an Oscar win for her, or at least a nomination! Believe me, I don't cry that easily at stuff, and her performance moved me. She was robbed. Her snub is crime. So, I was wondering how everyone else felt.

Updated On: 2/7/24 at 07:53 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#2Fantasia was Robbed!
Posted: 2/5/24 at 7:56pm

MagicalMusical said: "I first saw Fantasia's display of acting talent back when she sang "I'm Here" from The Color Purple at the 2007 Tony Awards. I thought she was so good, and I don't often notice such good acting and singing together from musicals that aren't of much interest to me. She was remarkable. Fast forward to very recently, and though I had only wanted to see the orginal, non-musical The Color Purple for a while because it is known as a classic, it wasn't until a friend told me how much they loved the film that I finally checked it out. It was a wonderful, amazing film, where Whoopi and Oprah really shone in fantastic performances. So, when the musical film came out, I was thinking I'd check it out. I didn't hear much about it when it came out, and the little I heard from some people was that it was bad, so I expected it to be bad, but I finally checked it out and...it was a wonderful movie in its own right! Sure, the songs kinda stop the story, and in my opinion, don't add much. But the way they did the story and acting, plus, sure, great singing, it was beautfiul! Sofia's actress was great, don't get me wrong, she deserves her Oscar nom. But I thought Fantasia as Celie was one of the best, most touching peformances I have ever seen. When she finds out her sister was still alive, and writing her, it made tears well up in my eyes. When she found out her real father and mother loved her and gave her that store, I also became so emotional tears almost came again. I truly expected an Oscar win for her, or at least a nomination! Believe me, I don't cry that easily at stuff, and her performance moved me. She was robbed. Her snub is crime. So, I was wondering how everyone else felt."

Far from a crime dude. lol glad she moved you with tears

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3Fantasia was Robbed!
Posted: 2/5/24 at 8:11pm

S**t, gotta run. My Uber just got here. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#4Fantasia was Robbed!
Posted: 2/5/24 at 8:16pm

If you call 911, the police will surely assist you in reporting a crime.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#5Fantasia was Robbed!
Posted: 2/5/24 at 9:08pm

First world problem. 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#6Fantasia was Robbed!
Posted: 2/5/24 at 10:58pm

Fantasia was indeed fantastic in the film. But if anyone robbed her of an Oscar nomination, it was the film itself. I don’t know whose decision it was to cut Celie and Shug’s fight that precedes “I’m Here” in the stage musical, but it was the worst decision they could’ve made for the movie. It robs “I’m Here” of all its power. The direction of the song didn’t do Fantasia any favors either. They just didn’t stick the landing with that song, and let’s be honest, it’s that song that got LaChanze and Cynthia Erivo their Tonys. If they’d bungled “And I Am Telling You” in the DREAMGIRLS film the way they screwed up “I’m Here,” Jennifer Hudson wouldn’t have an Oscar. Sadly for Fantasia, she was sabotaged by shoddy storytelling and a director who maybe wasn’t the right choice for this film.

CurtisTaylorJr2 Profile Photo
CurtisTaylorJr2
#7Fantasia was Robbed!
Posted: 2/5/24 at 11:13pm

The Academy Awards are worthless and most certainly not a validation of good performances. Fantasia is a singer first and hasn't done much in the way of acting yet she managed to turn in a good performance that captured the character out of the book. The fact that someone who hasn't done much acting good pull off the dinner scene so well was impressive itself.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#8Fantasia was Robbed!
Posted: 2/5/24 at 11:45pm

The film is simply not strong enough to be a contender for the Oscars this season.

Quinn Wilson
#9Fantasia was Robbed!
Posted: 2/5/24 at 11:47pm

seaweedjstubbs said: "Fantasia was indeed fantastic in the film. But if anyone robbed her of an Oscar nomination, it was the film itself. I don’t know whose decision it was to cut Celie and Shug’s fight that precedes “I’m Here” in the stage musical, but it was the worst decision they could’ve made for the movie. It robs “I’m Here” of all its power. The direction of the song didn’t do Fantasia any favors either. They just didn’t stick the landing with that song, and let’s be honest, it’s that song that got LaChanze and Cynthia Erivo their Tonys. If they’d bungled “And I Am Telling You” in the DREAMGIRLS film the way they screwed up “I’m Here,” Jennifer Hudson wouldn’t have an Oscar. Sadly for Fantasia, she was sabotaged by shoddy storytelling and a director who maybe wasn’t the right choice for this film."

This. I really appreciated that they spent a lot of the film on Celie and Nettie’s sisterhood, it was beautiful. But to be honest, even though they leaned further into the queerness during What About Love, I wish they’d told more of Celie and Shug’s story. 

It would have been nice to see that storyline also flourish. I thoroughly enjoyed the film, and I think the casting was top notch. The script was lacking though, and I think the missing link was the Celie/Shug relationship. Celie receiving two different kinds of love from Shug and Nettie, two women, would have been the clincher to really make this version of the story pop. 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#10Fantasia was Robbed!
Posted: 2/6/24 at 2:53am

Oprah should have directed it herself.  

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#11Fantasia was Robbed!
Posted: 2/6/24 at 11:58am

I don’t think she was robbed.
miscast maybe but not robbed

she’s way too clean, perky, And a bit zaftig for this role. Funny, It felt like she was perfect on stage

and the choreography was very cringe worthy

Everyone in the cast felt like two points down from the Spielberg movie.

ElephantLoveMedley
#12Fantasia was Robbed!
Posted: 2/6/24 at 12:21pm

As someone who absolutely loves The Color Purple and saw the 2015 revival probably over a dozen times, Fantasia was not robbed of anything. The movie was a disappointment. I actually think the Oscars got it exactly right in solely nominating Danielle Brooks. Her turn as Sofia was the only thing in the movie that elevated the material and made the film feel worth it.

I agree with the poster above me that Fantasia was "too clean" in the film. I was missing Celie's rawness and vulnerability. Part of that is on Fantasia's performance and part of that is on poor direction. The film lacked a cohesive tone and vision, and I believe that caused most of its problems.

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#13Fantasia was Robbed!
Posted: 2/7/24 at 8:13am

seaweedjstubbs said: "Fantasia was indeed fantastic in the film. But if anyone robbed her of an Oscar nomination, it was the film itself. I don’t know whose decision it was to cut Celie and Shug’s fight that precedes “I’m Here” in the stage musical, but it was the worst decision they could’ve made for the movie. It robs “I’m Here” of all its power. The direction of the song didn’t do Fantasia any favors either. They just didn’t stick the landing with that song, and let’s be honest, it’s that song that got LaChanze and Cynthia Erivo their Tonys. If they’d bungled “And I Am Telling You” in the DREAMGIRLS film the way they screwed up “I’m Here,” Jennifer Hudson wouldn’t have an Oscar. Sadly for Fantasia, she was sabotaged by shoddy storytelling and a director who maybe wasn’t the right choice for this film."

I have not seen the musical, but I do not remember a fight before "I'm Here", which was the last song sung by Celie before the Easter dinner scene, correct? Is that fight in the original film? I should give that a re-watch! Also the musical!

Celie is zaftig as a child in the original film, so I thought her being full-figured as an adult just made sense?

At least the consensus here seems to be "Yeah, Fantasia did pretty good to a degree". I just thought it was Oscar worthy.

Videos