pixeltracker

Marlow & Moss' SIX follow-up, WHY AM I SO SINGLE? musical, heads to the West End

Marlow & Moss' SIX follow-up, WHY AM I SO SINGLE? musical, heads to the West End

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Marlow & Moss' SIX follow-up, WHY AM I SO SINGLE? musical, heads to the West End
Posted: 2/14/24 at 10:17am

‘Six’ Creators Announce Their Second Act - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Lucy Moss and Toby Marlow spent years working out how to follow their hit musical about Henry VIII’s wives. “Why Am I So Single?” is their answer.

Lucy Moss, left, and Toby Marlow, the creators of “Six,” said their new musical is “about friendship and love and loneliness and everything that goes with it.”

In January 2019, Lucy Moss and Toby Marlow, the creators of the musical “Six,” were on a writer’s retreat in Connecticut, wondering how to follow up their celebrated first show.

That month, “Six” — in which Henry VIII’s wives tell their stories via pop songs — was starting a major West End run, and a Broadway transfer was on the horizon. The show had already been a hit at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, and a growing number of American fans were streaming the show’s soundtrack. More and more, people wanted to know what the pair would do next.

During the Connecticut retreat, they struggled to come up with new ideas, Marlow recalled in a recent interview, and instead gossiped about their love lives. Then, they had a breakthrough: “Maybe this is what we should write about,” Marlow said.

On Wednesday, Marlow, 29, and Moss, 30, announced that their second musical, “Why Am I So Single?,” will open at the Garrick Theater in London on Aug. 27.

The show, which has a 12-person cast, follows two friends struggling to write a musical and asking each other why they’re chronically single. That idea may sound similar to the creators’ time in Connecticut, but Moss, laughing nervously, said it was “definitely not a complete autobiography.”

Marlow said that the musical, which includes songs inspired by Dua Lipa hits and numbers from “Singin’ in the Rain,” was “about friendship and love and loneliness and everything that goes with it.”

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#2Marlow & Moss' SIX follow-up, WHY AM I SO SINGLE? musical, heads to the West End
Posted: 2/14/24 at 12:47pm

I hope this is still running when I come back later this year!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

RW3
susanphillips
#4Marlow & Moss' SIX follow-up, WHY AM I SO SINGLE? musical, heads to the West End
Posted: 2/14/24 at 11:42pm

RW3 said: "The song '8/Eight Dates' from today's press launch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj2EiSZSlkQ minecraftle game
"

Wow! It sounds so catchy. Love this!

Videos