2024 Tony Predictions

Falsettolands
#2002024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/29/24 at 5:02pm

as per today's Drama Desk noms (though we all know there is very little correlation) I would be so, so happy with an Emily Skinner nomination tomorrow.

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#2012024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/29/24 at 5:14pm

jkcohen626 said: "MezzA101 said: "https://variety.com/lists/2024-tonys-awards-prediction"

Some interesting predictions that I think could come true. But, it's hard for me to not throw out the whole thing when you think Lempicka is getting musical, score, and book noms.

They also imply that Here Lies Love is eligible for Best Book (GoldDerby also has it available to select in making your own predictions). Did we ever get a ruling on whether or not it's eligible and who would even receive that nom?
"

Agree.  Some of these Variety and Time Out predicted nominations are off.  In past years, both have been pretty off with predictions.

Updated On: 4/29/24 at 05:14 PM

MemorableUserName
#2022024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/29/24 at 5:17pm

CoffeeBreak said: "Agree. Some of these Variety and Time Out nominations are off. In past years, both have been pretty off."

Time Out isn't predicting, just expressing their own preferences.

2024 Tony Predictions

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#2032024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/29/24 at 5:30pm

One of the most crazy seasons! I tried some predictions below. I purposefully went rogue on a lot of them because I expect (and hope for) full chaos tomorrow morning. (*** = winner)

Best Musical
Hell's Kitchen
Illinoise***
The Outsiders
Suffs
Here Lies Love

Best Play
Jaja's African Hair Braiding
Mary Jane
Patriots
Prayer for the French Republic
Stereophonic***

Best Revival of a Musical
Spamalot
Merrily We Roll Along***
The Who's Tommy
The Wiz

Best Revival of a Play
Appropriate***
An Enemy of the People
Purlie Victorious

Lead Actor in a Musical

Jonathan Groff, Merrily We Roll Along***

Dorian Harewood, The Notebook

Ali Louis Bourzgui, The Who’s Tommy

Brian D'Arcy James, Days of Wine and Roses
Chip Zien, Harmony

Lead Actress in a Musical
Maleah Joi Moon, Hell's Kitchen
Kelli O'Hara, Days of Wine and Roses***
Maryann Plunkett, The Notebook

Arielle Jacobs, Here Lies Love

Eva Noblezada, The Great Gatsby

Lead Actor in a Play
Steve Carell, Uncle Vanya
William Jackson Harper, Uncle Vanya
Leslie Odom Jr., Purlie Victorious***
Jeremy Strong, An Enemy of the People
Michael Stuhlbarg, Patriots

Lead Actress in a Play
Jessica Lange, Mother Play
Rachel McAdams, Mary Jane
Sarah Paulson, Appropriate***
Betsy Aidem, Prayer for French Republic

Featured Actor in a Musical
Joshua Boone, The Outsiders
Ricky Ubeda, Illinoise
Conrad Ricamora, Here Lies Love
Daniel Radcliffe, Merrily We Roll Along***
Steven Skybell, Cabaret

Featured Actress in a Musical
Joy Woods, The Notebook
Nikki M. James, Suffs
Kecia Lewis, Hell’s Kitchen
Lindsay Mendez, Merrily We Roll Along
Bebe Neuwirth, Cabaret***

Featured Actor in a Play
Will Brill, Stereophonic
Eli Gelb, Stereophonic
Michael Imperioli, An Enemy of the People
Jim Parsons, Mother Play
Corey Stoll, Appropriate**

Featured Actress in a Play

Francis Benhamou, Prayer for the French Republic
Quincy Tyler Bernstine, Doubt
Celia Keenan Bolger, Mother Play
Sarah Pidgeon, Stereophonic
Kara Young, Purlie Victorious***

Original Score
Days of Wine and Roses - Adam Guettel
The Notebook - Ingrid Michaelson
Here Lies Love - Fatboy Slim, David Bryne
Stereophonic - Will Butler
Suffs - Shaina Taub***

Book of a Musical
Days of Wine and Roses - Craig Lucas
Hell's Kitchen - Kristoffer Diaz***
The Notebook - Bekah Brunstetter
The Outsiders - Adam Rapp & Justin Levine
Suffs - Shaina Taub

Direction of a Musical
Maria Friedman, Merrily We Roll Along***
Justin Peck, Illinoise
Leigh Silverman, Suffs
Danya Taymor, The Outsiders
Alex Timbers, Here Lies Love

Direction of a Play
Daniel Aukin, Stereophonic***
David Cromer, Prayer for the French Republic
Anne Kauffman, Mary Jane
Kenny Leon, Purlie Victorious
Lila Neugebauer, Appropriate

Choreography
Camille A. Brown, Hell's Kitchen
Rick Kuperman & Jeff Kuperman, The Outsiders
Lorin Latarro, The Who's Tommy
Justin Peck, Illinoise***
Jaquel Knight, The Wiz

Updated On: 4/29/24 at 05:30 PM

MemorableUserName
MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#2052024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/29/24 at 6:04pm

Wow, Greg Evans (Deadline) is yet another journalist super strong on Lempicka...and I don't think I buy it. Eden could still get in, and there's a sliver of a chance for score because of the memorable songs. I just don't see it landing anywhere else given the reactions to it.

Evans' article is also full of inaccuracies, often with number of slots per category (he lists 5 shows for Revival of a Musical, for instance). So I'm not taking it too seriously.

I'm most perplexed by trying to predict Best Book of a Musical. Other than Suffs...I really didn't love ANY book this season. Are we really to understand that Hell's Kitchen is getting a nomination for BOOK?? (The book can be summed up as the main character saying "and then this happened? I felt this way. And then this happened. And it was alright. And then this happened..."). Every single person is predicting it and I DONT get it. But I also can't really come up with a good five. Will they go for the unconventional Illinoise? The brutal Days of Wine and Roses? Will they look past some structural quibbles with The Notebook, The Outsiders, and Water for Elephants and be won over by their emotion? 

MezzA101
#2062024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/29/24 at 6:10pm

NYTimes: The Tony Nominations Are Tomorrow. Here’s What to Expect.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/29/theater/tony-awards-nominations.html?unlocked_article_code=1.oE0.N4j8.8qcR7FUV1zH-

BdwyFan
#2072024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/29/24 at 6:13pm

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "Wow, Greg Evans (Deadline) is yet another journalist super strong on Lempicka...and I don't think I buy it. Eden could still get in, and there's a sliver of a chance for score because of the memorable songs. I just don't see it landing anywhere else given the reactions to it.

Evans' article is also full of inaccuracies, often with number of slots per category (he lists 5 shows for Revival of a Musical, for instance). So I'm not taking it too seriously.

I'm most perplexed by trying to predict Best Book of a Musical. Other than Suffs...I really didn't love ANY book this season. Are we really to understand that Hell's Kitchen is getting a nomination for BOOK?? (The book can be summed up as the main character saying "and then this happened? I felt this way. And then this happened. And it was alright. And then this happened..."). Every single person is predicting it and I DONT get it. But I also can't really come up with a good five. Will they go for the unconventional Illinoise? The brutal Days of Wine and Roses? Will they look past some structural quibbles with The Notebook, The Outsiders, and Water for Elephants and be won over by their emotion?
"

But couldn’t there be 5 musical revival nominees if 4th and 5th are within a certain percentage? 

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#2082024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/29/24 at 10:11pm

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "I'm most perplexed by trying to predict Best Book of a Musical. Other than Suffs...I really didn't love ANY book this season. Are we really to understand that Hell's Kitchen is getting a nomination for BOOK?? (The book can be summed up as the main character saying "and then this happened? I felt this way. And then this happened. And it was alright. And then this happened..."). Every single person is predicting it and I DONT get it. But I also can't really come up with a good five. Will they go for the unconventional Illinoise? The brutal Days of Wine and Roses? Will they look past some structural quibbles with The Notebook, The Outsiders, and Water for Elephants and be won over by their emotion?"

And yet Jagged Little Pill won best book

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#2092024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/29/24 at 10:24pm

bwaylyric said: "MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "I'm most perplexed by trying to predict Best Book of a Musical. Other than Suffs...I really didn't love ANY book this season. Are we really to understand that Hell's Kitchen is getting a nomination for BOOK?? (The book can be summed up as the main character saying "and then this happened? I felt this way. And then this happened. And it was alright. And then this happened..."). Every single person is predicting it and I DONT get it. But I also can't really come up with a good five. Will they go for the unconventional Illinoise? The brutal Days of Wine and Roses? Will they look past some structural quibbles with The Notebook, The Outsiders, and Water for Elephants and be won over by their emotion?"

And yet Jagged Little Pill won best book
"

Comparing anything to the COVID Tonys isn't really fair though. Jagged Little Pill beat Moulin Rouge and Tina and that was it...

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2102024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/29/24 at 10:27pm

This year's ceremony is going to generate lower ratings than the COVID Tonys, and that's right about where the comparisons stop. 

Oh look, a bibu!

yyys
#2112024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/29/24 at 10:52pm

PREDICTING: Multiple nominations for Tommy and Merrily We Roll Along.

Falsettolands
#2122024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/29/24 at 11:20pm

An "I Need That" sweep, surely

RUkiddingme
#2132024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/29/24 at 11:34pm

I think we're going to see LOTS of nominees in lots of categories - The Tony's attempt to boost some shows - but in actuality it will just diminish the value of the nominations if everyone is named.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#2142024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/30/24 at 12:04am

RUkiddingme said: "I think we're going to see LOTS of nominees in lots of categories - The Tony's attempt to boost some shows - but in actuality it will just diminish the value of the nominations if everyone is named."

You know there are rules that determine the number of nominees, right? It's not just up to the admin. I suppose there's nothing legally binding because it's just an awards show (anybody know that for sure?). But, I highly doubt they're messing with stuff. 

If we get extra nominees (and I think we will get a lot of them), it's because it's such a competitive year and there are ties. Near-ties (when it's within a few votes) count as ties, so it's not hard for it to happen. With so many shows opening in such a condensed window, it's also likely a lot of nominators couldn't see everything and had to drop out, which also increases likelihood of ties. 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#2152024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/30/24 at 12:34am

Somehow I don’t agree with that. I don’t believe they are as democratic as they claim. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#2162024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/30/24 at 12:48am

Apparently only 45 out of 60 nominators qualified to cast a ballot 

BentleyB
#2172024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/30/24 at 4:46am

Broadway Flash said: "Somehow I don’t agree with that. I don’t believe they are as democratic as they claim."

Then why do you care or bother commenting on these threads?  You whine about the Tonys but really want your boy Casey Likes to be nominated, which is hilarious. 

MezzA101
#2182024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/30/24 at 6:46am

NYTimes: The Three Shows I’m Pulling for in the Tony Award Nominations https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/04/24/opinion/thepoint/tony-award-nominations-songwriting?unlocked_article_code=1.oU0.2V1j.97vPYRA4ajjb

NYTimes: Broadway Opened 12 Shows in 9 Days. Here’s What That Looked Like.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/30/theater/broadway-openings-the-wiz-cabaret.html?unlocked_article_code=1.oU0.5lAR.PCVQ4PeYOqnL

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#2192024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/30/24 at 6:46am

Why does anybody comment on these threads

bwayobsessed
#2202024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/30/24 at 7:18am

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "Wow, Greg Evans (Deadline) is yet another journalist super strong on Lempicka...and I don't think I buy it. Eden could still get in, and there's a sliver of a chance for score because of the memorable songs. I just don't see it landing anywhere else given the reactions to it."

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's pro-Lempicka. It's my favorite out of the shows I've seen this year.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#2212024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/30/24 at 7:55am

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Apparently only 45 out of 60 nominators qualified to cast a ballot"

I think it's probably less. The website lists 44, but that was as of 11/3/23. With this April onslaught, I'm guessing more dropped out. https://www.tonyawards.com/about/administration/ 

blasvader
#2222024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/30/24 at 8:08am

This is a terrible system. Such a small pool should not be deciding nominations for all categories. They should do something like the Oscars where each branch (or a nominating committee from each branch) votes on nominations on respective categories. 

Jeff Tupolski Profile Photo
Jeff Tupolski
#2232024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/30/24 at 4:05pm

For anyone else who uses it, GoldDerby’s prediction center is now open for the Tonys.

Seems there’s a bit of a disconnect in a few of the early odds there compared to what people are saying here.

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#2242024 Tony Predictions
Posted: 4/30/24 at 4:49pm

Do the Tony voters only get to pick one in each category or do they have the preferential (ranked) voting system like they do with the Oscars?