pixeltracker

THE HILLS OF CALIFORNIA by Jez Butterworth to open at the Broadhurst this fall

THE HILLS OF CALIFORNIA by Jez Butterworth to open at the Broadhurst this fall

KevinKlawitter
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2THE HILLS OF CALIFORNIA by Jez Butterworth to open at the Broadhurst this fall
Posted: 6/4/24 at 12:13pm

Its been bugging me that I’ll have to miss this in the UK so seeing this made me very very happy. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3THE HILLS OF CALIFORNIA by Jez Butterworth to open at the Broadhurst this fall
Posted: 6/4/24 at 12:26pm

23 in the cast and a 3-hour runtime!

Assuming we can expect Laura Donnelly will transfer with this, since she and Butterworth are longtime partners and have kids.

nasty_khakis
#4THE HILLS OF CALIFORNIA by Jez Butterworth to open at the Broadhurst this fall
Posted: 6/4/24 at 12:46pm

I really enjoyed this in London and liked that Butterworth seemed to write a more straight-forward Tennessee Williams type of play rather than taking long sojourns into the etherial. There are moments where you realize "what happened" and the choices made that make Madame Rose look warm and cuddly that shook me and will stay with me.

That being said my audience was more than half empty and it didn't sell well in the West End so I'm surprised someone is paying for the transfer.

willep
#5THE HILLS OF CALIFORNIA by Jez Butterworth to open at the Broadhurst this fall
Posted: 6/4/24 at 12:51pm

Ooh! Excited for this one! Love Jez Butterworth’s plays.

Owen22
#6THE HILLS OF CALIFORNIA by Jez Butterworth to open at the Broadhurst this fall
Posted: 6/4/24 at 2:40pm

From what I hear from my UK friends it's not that good and coasting by on Butterworth's name and  past successes....

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#7THE HILLS OF CALIFORNIA by Jez Butterworth to open at the Broadhurst this fall
Posted: 6/4/24 at 2:46pm

If my plan had not been delayed, I'd have seen this in London. Looked interesting to me, but yeah it was not selling well. 

verywellthensigh
#9THE HILLS OF CALIFORNIA by Jez Butterworth to open at the Broadhurst this fall
Posted: 6/4/24 at 3:09pm

I was under the impression this got very middling reviews in the UK.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#11THE HILLS OF CALIFORNIA by Jez Butterworth to open at the Broadhurst this fall
Posted: 6/4/24 at 6:20pm

It's a terrific play, beautifully performed and directed, and Laura Donnelly as a ferocious stage mother might even terrify Madame Rose who will be next door on 44th Street. Different direction for Jez Butterworth after The Ferryman and Jerusalem, but a great family drama. Really looking forward to seeing it again. 

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#12THE HILLS OF CALIFORNIA by Jez Butterworth to open at the Broadhurst this fall
Posted: 6/5/24 at 12:57am

Looking forward to seeing this.  I'd imagine that they'll need some degree of recognizable names?

Also, curious as to any future plans for The Motive & The Cue to transfer to Broadway now

stagepotato
#13THE HILLS OF CALIFORNIA by Jez Butterworth to open at the Broadhurst this fall
Posted: 6/5/24 at 7:42am

VernonGersch said: "Looking forward to seeing this. I'd imagine that they'll need some degree of recognizable names?

Also, curious as to any future plans for The Motive & The Cue to transfer to Broadway now
"

When I read the summary on the show’s website, my first thought is this is something Tatiana Maslany would be interested in. Her name is a draw but it wasn’t enough to keep Grey House going last summer. 

Sidney Libby
#14THE HILLS OF CALIFORNIA by Jez Butterworth to open at the Broadhurst this fall
Posted: 6/5/24 at 9:54am

Hills of California is a great play.  Some quick thoughts.  I saw the show in previews in London and I went back two days later.  Smart and entertaining as you would expect from the creative team and author.  No one writes for the theater like Jez Butterworth.  The mother and daughters especially are so well drawn giving honest, comic and heartbreaking performances.  Sam Mendes is a master storyteller who keeps the show tense and funny.  Like Jerusalem and The Ferryman,  Hills is full of pop culture references and Easter eggs from the Rolling Stones, Gypsy, etc.  I'm so looking forward to seeing the show again on Broadway in the Fall.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#15THE HILLS OF CALIFORNIA by Jez Butterworth to open at the Broadhurst this fall
Posted: 6/5/24 at 10:04am

stagepotato: When I read the summary on the show’s website, my first thought is this is something Tatiana Maslany would be interested in. Her name is a draw but it wasn’t enough to keep Grey House going last summer

Tatiana Maslany is scheduled to star in Marin Ireland’s new play Pre-Existing Condition.

stagepotato
#16THE HILLS OF CALIFORNIA by Jez Butterworth to open at the Broadhurst this fall
Posted: 6/5/24 at 10:11am

Melissa25 said: "stagepotato:When I read the summary on the show’s website, my first thought is this is something Tatiana Maslany would be interested in. Her name is a draw but it wasn’t enough to keep Grey House going last summer.

Tatiana Maslany is scheduled to star in Marin Ireland’s new playPre-Existing Condition.
"

Correct. Pre-Existing Conditon is a limited run through Aug 3rd. The Hills of California begin preview on Sept 11. There’s no overlap between the two. And it’s plenty of time for rehearsal. 

Videos