pixeltracker

Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA

Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA

broadway1564
#0Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/9/04 at 9:11pm

So I was coming out of WONDERFUL TOWN and someone asked me what I thought about the show. I said, "Well, it was a great opening number and a mediocre book." I then proceeded to ask the patron if they had seen WICKED and that they had.

So I asked, "Who will get the TONY ... Donna, Kristin, or Idina"

As she predicted ... "I think it will be a split vote between the two Wicked queens and then the Tony goes to Donna"

It happened at the Drama Desk Awards ... Donna gave a good performance, but she was not Kristin or Idina up there belting the hell out of that score.

But what about Little Miss Caroline? Does Tonya stand a chance?

Only time will tell ...

But don't you love surprise nominations and surprise wins? Updated On: 5/9/04 at 09:11 PM

iflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
#1re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/9/04 at 9:18pm

Yeah, Tonya has a chance. In fact, I think she's the actress to beat.

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10

eponine88
#2re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/9/04 at 9:20pm

Just saw Wonderful Town this afternoon. I was a little disappointed, I'm afraid. It really didn't seem to follow a definite plot, and as you said, it did indeed have a mediocre book.
From what I've heard, Tonya probably has a pretty good shot at the Tony. But who can tell????

aspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
#3re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/9/04 at 9:23pm

this one will be sheer surprise, but i still want idina or kristen to win, they are flawless IMO

HunterFosterIsMyGod Profile Photo
HunterFosterIsMyGod
#4re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/9/04 at 9:44pm

i REALLY hope that donna wins. to me, she REALLY passes the others performance-wise.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#5re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/9/04 at 10:36pm

I think to concentrate only on singing when trying to compare Donna Murphy's performance to Kristen or Idina's is incomplete...Donna is brilliant in so many ways other than singing. Still, really, the award is in the air.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

Broadway724 Profile Photo
Broadway724
#6re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/9/04 at 11:00pm

I really don't get what the fuss about Donna is. The 5th spot will prob go to Steph or Kerry (most likely Steph, even thought I ADORE Kerry, look to the left people) I don't think Donna is doing anything all that special in Wonderful Town. She is good, but that is about it. I think it's between Kristin, Idina, and Tonya. I've seen Wicked a few times in the past few weeks and you can tell it's Tony time. I don't really like some of the things Kristin is adding for attention. Idina is giving an amazing performance (all the small details are amazing) and although Tonya is good, I really cannot decide what I think about her yet. But I think it's up in the air between these three ladies.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#7re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/10/04 at 12:24am

Donna's performance is truly great. I don't think there will be any shame in any of these ladies winning. I haven't seen Tonya yet, but based on the others, I am rooting for Donna or Kristen--two very finely detailed performances.

Broadway724 Profile Photo
Broadway724
#8re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/10/04 at 12:27am

I was rooting for Kristin until the last time I saw her and she did a few things that you can tell she just added because of the tony voters being there, but whatever...I guess deep within I still want her or Idina to win

broadway1564
#9re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/10/04 at 1:21am

I have to disagree about Donna's performance. Her stage time was short and her accent was weird. I met her and thought she was a lovely person ... but this is no TONY award-winning performance. It's an adequate performance in subpar production.

We'll have to see ...

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#10re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/10/04 at 6:50am

My vote (if only it would count) goes to Idina. I think Donna, Kristin and Idina give great performances, but I like Idina's the best. Sad to say though that the awards really don't always award the best performance. Just take last year's Best Leading Female....Marissa, though cute and a good performance, did not compare to Bernadette's amazing performance. Uh oh...I shouldn't open that can of worms, but there was no comparison in my opinion. So it will be interesting to see who wins.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#11re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/10/04 at 9:12am

Donna's stage time was short????? Are you on crack??

JakeB
#12re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/10/04 at 9:14am

If I was asked to nominate, I'd say Kristin Chenoweth. Big. Fat. Star.

jezzebelle
#13re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/10/04 at 9:18am

I haven't seen Donna or Toyna, but if I was asked to choose between Kristin or Idina for the Tony, I'd have to go with Idina. While Kristin has wonderful comedeic timing and is adorable, Idina's performances had wonderfully small nuances that made that show. She was amazing and very deserving of recognition, imo.

-Jess

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#14re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/10/04 at 9:21am

i agree... if it were just the two wicked queens on the ballot, i would go with Idina over Kristen...

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#15re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/10/04 at 9:40am

I think it's easy to forget how overwhelmingly positive initial reactions to Kristin's performance were. I think the voters will have had the same reaction and she'll walk easily away with the Award. Hers is the sort of in your face performance that tend to win these things.

Kristin wins it easy.

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#16re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/10/04 at 9:52am

It's going to Pinkins. The award is for "best ACTRESS in a musical" not "best one note mugging HAM'. Then perhaps, Chenoweth would be a shoe-in.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#17re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/10/04 at 9:59am

nuances of quality aren't something the Tony voters (or any award voters) are known to notice.

It's about scene chewing and 'show stopping.'

I'm saying who will win, not who I necessarily think should.

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#18re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/10/04 at 10:12am

You're right John. It's all nonsense, really.

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#19re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/10/04 at 10:13am

Don't count out Tonya fellas...I think the Wicked girls are going to cancel each other out.

Janki Profile Photo
Janki
#20re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/10/04 at 10:17am

I hope Idina wins...but I do think it's gonna be Donna....and Kristin has already got a Tony for a Glinda-esk part...she's not gonna get another one...but if she did I wouldn't mind...love her!

Popular...You're gonna be Popuular....;)

Bobby457 Profile Photo
Bobby457
#21re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/10/04 at 11:19am

Idina & Kristen are going to cancel each other definately. I think Donna will get only because when they reviewed Wonderful Town you would have thought she was the seconding coming! I havent seen reviews like that for an actress since Carol Channing..

"It never bothered me that she called me a c*nt, it bothered me that I answered to it!" Carol Channing about Ethel Merman filming an episode of "The Love Boat"

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#22re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/10/04 at 11:43am

Well, considering that Idina is portraying a character that most people grew up fearing, and half-way thru her first number has the audience totally in love with, I would really like to see her win the Tony. And I would really hate to see Kristen's head get any bigger......it might just explode.

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#23re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/10/04 at 11:51am

The thing with Idina, in my opinion, is that she's not really a great actress. She looks to me, with the exceptions of the scenes at the farmhouse and at Kiamo Ko, like she's doing the lines until it's time to sing. Then, when she brings the house down by belting the hell out of something, people think she's brilliant. Yes, Idina is talented, but her acting leaves a lot to be desired. I'd like to see a few more reactions out of her, particularly in the first act.
Kristin is another story. I don't want her to win because of her ridiculous mugging. I'm tired of it. She has a glorious singing voice but dear GOD, that hideous Muppet thing she does!
I haven't seen Stephanie or Tonya so I can't comment.
Donna Murphy is great to watch, and has wonderful physical and verbal comedy skills. Out of the three I've seen, I'd say she deserves it. But I'm going to try and catch Ave. Q and Caroline before I really decide.

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#24re: Idina & Kristen go head to head with DONNA
Posted: 5/10/04 at 3:57pm

I agree Shubert, Idina, to put it more bluntly, can't act her way out of a shoe I too, felt like I was getting lines off a cue card. It shouldn't be enough that she can belt to the back row. Ideally (and when has that EVER been the case with the Tonys), the best actress in a musical award should go to the person who is fantastic in all aspects of a musical, not just ONE thing. Pinkins, is giving a multi-faceted perfromance. Her acting is as strong, if not more so, than her singing. And yes, ENOUGH with that time warped,over age kewpie, Chenoweth.

Videos