pixeltracker

BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?

BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#0BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?
Posted: 6/6/04 at 10:05pm

What the h*ll is this? They have more time to perform than any of the other shows, just because he is hosting???

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#1re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?
Posted: 6/6/04 at 10:06pm

I should be mad, but this will go down as one of the funniest performances in Tony history!

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#2re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?
Posted: 6/6/04 at 10:07pm

Definitely too long, but still a great performance. Hugh did a fantastic job with it. I was shocked at how comfortable he was onstage. He deserves the Tony he's about to recieve----Was the Sarah Jessica thing planned?

nystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
#3re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?
Posted: 6/6/04 at 10:09pm

if he does win, it will be a huge bust.

but i guess then they would've gotten j tags to host

tennis85 Profile Photo
tennis85
#4re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?

That's what I wanna knnow. Was SJP part of the act?????

"I'm gonna jump! Don't do it! Okay!"

TheGirlinTheFrock Profile Photo
TheGirlinTheFrock
#5re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?

i dont think so i saw an ET interview (i thnk it was ET)where he said that he will be talking to some unsuspecting people.

Though scattered and divided we are still its heart...AIDA SEPTEMBER 5th, 2004...one more longing backward glance... I AM NOW "TGIF!"

Lorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
#6re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?
Posted: 6/6/04 at 10:10pm

no....i'm *thinking* someone else was planned....but perhaps seat locations played a part in this one? i believe that the best live tv moments are unplanned and that this is another to add to that list. :)

(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."

MargoChanning
#7re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?
Posted: 6/6/04 at 10:11pm

He and Sarah rehearsed it this afternoon (though he does something like this spontaneously at every performance).

By the way, it ran roughly 5 and a half minutes (which is only a minute or so more than the other shows).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Sunfish
#8re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?
Posted: 6/6/04 at 10:11pm

She was definitely too embarrassed. That was not acting.

At least he didn't try to lossen up the Ice Queen!

tennis85 Profile Photo
tennis85
#9re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?
Posted: 6/6/04 at 10:12pm

SJP looked VERY embarassed as they cut to commercial...

"I'm gonna jump! Don't do it! Okay!"

nystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
#10re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?
Posted: 6/6/04 at 10:12pm

i think the carrie came out of her ("i should go")

Playbill Profile Photo
Playbill
#11re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?
Posted: 6/6/04 at 10:13pm

Whoa. He does things like this at the show??!! Can you elaborate? I don't want him to pull a SJP on me :)

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#12re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?
Posted: 6/6/04 at 10:14pm

Of course it gets more time. It's HUGH JACKMAN. Think about it. They let him do whatever the hell he wants.

I thought he was sooo good, though! Such charisma.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#13re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?
Posted: 6/6/04 at 10:16pm

I think her "This is the wrong network!" line might be one of the funniest lines I've heard in Tony Award history (Right after Nathan Lane's "handstand" line).

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#14re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?
Posted: 6/6/04 at 10:24pm

The "Bi Coastal" line was hilarious.

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#15re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?
Posted: 6/6/04 at 10:26pm

uh huh :)

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#16re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?
Posted: 6/7/04 at 12:34am

It's called acting. She's good, admit it.

Plum
#17re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?
Posted: 6/7/04 at 1:16am

If she was acting, she was great. And the whole performance was hilarious. My dad (likes straight plays and hasn't watched a musical in years) insisted on rewinding the Tivo and getting my mom to watch it, too. And if he got an extra minute, who cares? Better him than Bennett and Blige, who were both rather mediocre and wasted time.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#18re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?
Posted: 6/7/04 at 9:33am

Jackman does this at every performance of BFO - twice the night I saw it - and he's amazingly good at it, very quick and funny and gracious to the suddenly spotlighted audience members. He's doing Peter Allen's act, after all, and he stays in character, always.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#19re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?
Posted: 6/7/04 at 9:37am

Have seen BFO 15 times so far - he does it at every performance as peter Allen, and it's always different. He does what Peter Allen would do! It's great - he did combine a song from BFO with the Bi-Coastal audience interaction and did it great! He definitely deserved his Tony!!!!!

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
#20re: BOY FROM OZ gets more time than other musicals to perform?
Posted: 6/7/04 at 9:47am

I imagine he just took the time. The SJP thing seemed to run longer than expected, but it was funny. Go with it. The show still ended on time.

Hamlet's father.

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#21I also noticed that...
Posted: 6/7/04 at 10:35am

the orchestra didn't cut Hugh off as quickly during his acceptance speech. What was that about? When Lane won his Tony for The Producers and was hosting the Tonys, they treated him just like they treated everyone else who won.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
#22I also noticed that...
Posted: 6/7/04 at 10:50am

I'd like to see the timing of all the speeches... because there were speeches other than Hugh's that seemed to run long...

45 seconds from seat to the wings.

Hamlet's father.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#23I also noticed that...
Posted: 6/7/04 at 12:50pm

I loved the performance from the Tony Awards, but it was unfair that BOY FROM OZ got more time to perform than other shows.

A few non-theatregoers saw the entire Tonys and said they were interested in seeing BOY FROM OZ the most. After rewatching, it seems the entire show was all about Hugh Jackman. One of my friends said "of course Hugh Jackman was the main focus, he's a movie star!"

I'm not saying because of the one extra minute or however longer it was that it cause the show to have the most appeal to viewers, it was a fun performance. It just upsets me that other shows didn't get the extra minute. WICKED and AVE Q could have used more time. WT, FOTR, COC, etc were fine as is as far as what they showed us.

If they cut the Mary J. Blidge and Tony Bennett numbers. They sure didn't sell any Tony Songbooks with that.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Plum
#24I also noticed that...
Posted: 6/7/04 at 1:46pm

If it seemed that the show was all about Jackman, it might have been because he was, you know...hosting. And next to Avenue Q, his was probably the best-executed number in the show. Besides, I'd rather give one minute to him than eight minutes to Bennett and Blige, who were completely not worth it.

Niggle niggle. This year was a pretty good broadcast, and much better than what I remember of last year's. And my favorite show won, so you know what? I'm not complaining. :P

Videos