pixeltracker

Little Shop Performance on Regis

Little Shop Performance on Regis

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#0Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 9:49am

I thought that Michael did a great job with the plant, and the girls were as fabulous as ever(When are they not?), but of course, everyone was wondering about Joey Fatone. I was actually quite impressed. His acting was passable and he has a sweet belty voice with a nice vibrato, which I think works well for Seymour. He does look young and definitely on the geeky side; I would say he fits the role pretty well.

dididda Profile Photo
dididda
#1re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 9:52am

i was expecting far worse than he actually was and it was good to see the three girls. overall, hes not as good as hunter but hes not as bad as most star turns are.

""the gays love their presents. just wave something shiny in front of their faces, you can get whatever you want. Thats how we got manhattan from the gay indians" -Karen (W&G)"

on1ystarinthesky Profile Photo
on1ystarinthesky
#2re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 10:00am

I was bracing for pop star riffing and no expression whatsoever. I was rather impressed when he sang and actually moved about the stage. He screamed a little bit, and that irritated me a little, but I'm not gonna hold it against him.

Seeing the three girls show up made me happy, so I ignored most of what was aggravating me.

Well, I'm gonna be a good citizen and wish him luck, only because I love the show itself.

DJ Jellyfeltz's Weekly "Don't You Just Hate That?" (courtesy of Scott Cohen)
Walking by the same person you've already walked by in the dairy, produce, and frozen-food sections.
*I AM A MEMBER OF THE BWW.COM RADIOACTIVE SQUIRREL CLUB*

JoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
#3re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 10:06am

Yeah, I agree with everyone. I think he doesn't hold up to Hunter Foster's Seymour, but he wasn't a terrible pop star diva. Or is it divo? I don't know.

His voice sounds like its just about gone when he was speaking.

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#4re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 10:20am

He wasn't terrible. I may now re-think seeing the show next week.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#5re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 10:31am

Now that I'm reading this I'm kind of disappointed with myself that I decided he *had* to be bad and that I wanted to sleep in.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

JoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
#6re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 10:37am

Was one of the girls an understudy? I recognized DeQuina Moore on the far right, and the girl in the middle was definitely Carla or Trisha, but the one to the left of the screen I definitely didn't recognize.

cvapb Profile Photo
cvapb
#7re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 10:42am

When I saw the show, I saw that understudy. She was good, I thought.
I'm sad I missed this morning's performance by the cast. Updated On: 6/23/04 at 10:42 AM

rclocalz Profile Photo
rclocalz
#8re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 10:46am

Looks like the show might be open through January 2nd since that is how long Joey said he is going to be with the show. That would be a pretty long run for a show with mixed reviews. Lets see if it will make it.

http://www.glamsmash.com/ - Glamsmash Productions, a video production company in the heart of New York City

John
#9re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 10:48am

I thought Fatone was decent.......it was different than what i expected, however after the song, when kelly was talking with him, his voice was so raspy like!

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#10re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 10:48am

I agree that he did a very nice job. For the 3 minute song he performed. But being the main vocal character in a 2.5 hour show for eight shows every weeks for the length of his contract will be a different story. I hope he is ready and I wish him the best of luck.

I just thought he looked a little too aggressive with the plant, just a bit more willing then Seymoure should look. Fatone made it appear that Seymour has killed before.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

on1ystarinthesky Profile Photo
on1ystarinthesky
#11re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 11:07am

I noticed that, too, sum. As much as Seymour is supposed to be eager to get rid of Orin, he's not supposed to look like he's overjoyed and bloodthirsty.

Now I wanna go see it, just to see what else he twists around.

DJ Jellyfeltz's Weekly "Don't You Just Hate That?" (courtesy of Scott Cohen)
Walking by the same person you've already walked by in the dairy, produce, and frozen-food sections.
*I AM A MEMBER OF THE BWW.COM RADIOACTIVE SQUIRREL CLUB*

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#12re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 11:34am

I was VERY surprised with Fatone's performance. He did look the part of seymore very well and his vocals were pretty good. In the beginning he seemed a little stiff and didnt know what to do when audrey II was singing. Hopefully LSOH will run for awhile. I was happy when i saw the urchins come up, but disapointed when kelly or randy didnt interview them. They also should have brought out michael. Oh well! Caroline of change tomorrow!!! cant wait for that!

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

cvapb Profile Photo
cvapb
#13re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 11:37am

How did they do the plant? Did they have the full grown one? I unfortunately missed the show. Are there pictures anywhere?

BillyLawlor
#14re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 12:01pm

I don't think he seemed overjoyed or bloodthirsty at all. I thought he was actually very hesitant, which was good, and at the end he had made the transformation. Mind you, he had to make this little transition through a VERY abbreviated version of the song. The "Geee, I'd like a Harley machine" part was cut, which didn't help---it's hard to pull of changing your mind about murdering someone in a span of about 30 seconds.

dididda Profile Photo
dididda
#15re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 12:07pm

the part with audrey/orin was cut too which is understandable but i wanted to see jessica-snow in action(however minimal that scene is) haha.

I thought that was an understudy! I was like did she leave or is it an understudy? thats definetly not her!! Okay, now the world makes sensere: Little Shop Performance on Regis

oh, and a question, who is audrey's understudy now thet jessica-snow wilson is in the role? hmmm...?

""the gays love their presents. just wave something shiny in front of their faces, you can get whatever you want. Thats how we got manhattan from the gay indians" -Karen (W&G)"

Broadwaybaby614 Profile Photo
Broadwaybaby614
#16re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 12:12pm

Am I the only one who thought he sucked?

I sat down to watch it thinking "Sure, I'll give him a chance...", and then I heard him sing. I don't think he necessarily has a BAD voice, but I think the vocal range of that song is too much for him. You could definately tell he was straining himself, and I thought he was off-key for a lot of the song.

But that's just me.

Maybe I'm just biased because I am a Hunter Foster fanatic. I saw him in the show and thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. Plus, it WAS early in the morning and Joey has only recently started this show, so maybe it was an off day. I don't know.

I also didn't like how the chopped the song. I know they don't have six and a half minutes, but I think they cut the wrong parts out, because it started to not make any sense. Oh well.

"And now for something completely different..."

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#17re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 12:12pm

I understand why the Audrey-Orin part was cut, but it just didn't really make any sense, because they started singing "They guy sure looks like plant food to me...". I'm sure some people at home were asking, "What guy?"

BillyLawlor
#18re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 12:17pm

I'm watching it right now, and she wasn't an understudy. All three girls were there I believe, superb as always!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#19re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 1:05pm

Anyone have this on tape?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

BroadwayBound06 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound06
#20re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 2:11pm

I do

BwayTheatre11
#21re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 2:14pm

I was not blown away by his performance, but was not disappointed. I think he was nervous and tired...I would buy a ticket to see how he does in the whole show. I do feel bad that they did not even mention the Carla, Trisha, Dequina, or Michael.

CCM '10!

AnothaPartofMe
#22re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 2:48pm

Joey was pretty good, but they focused too much on him... whereas "Feed Me (Git It)" is more of Michael's number. He squints too much when he's singing...but then, so does Adam Pascal and he's the best

And if she'll say, "My darling, I'm yours!" I'll throw away my striped tie and my best pressed tweed, all I really need is the girl...

rent-tears Profile Photo
rent-tears
#23re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 3:09pm

hm? so he was good? or just passable?

He could be that boy...Im not that girl--Elphaba

Broadwaybaby614 Profile Photo
Broadwaybaby614
#24re: Little Shop Performance on Regis
Posted: 6/23/04 at 3:18pm

It all depends on who you ask. I thought he was pretty bad, but I guess most of the other people here thought he was alright...

"And now for something completely different..."

Videos