pixeltracker

The embodyment of the words "pro" and "it" : ROGER BART

The embodyment of the words "pro" and "it" : ROGER BART

GladysBumps Profile Photo
GladysBumps
#0The embodyment of the words "pro" and "it" : ROGER BART
Posted: 7/16/04 at 8:24pm

Well, the good news is: All's well at the "Old Viv." Nathan's got his sidekick and all is going swimmingly. Everyone at Thursday nights performance had a ball, greeting the curtain call with whoops and hollers.
Roger Bart's timing was flawless. How he managed it in such a short time is beyond me. I just chalk it up to consumate professionalism. Jesus! And charisma to burn! As gifted as Chris Kattan is, he definitely has a smarmy edge which probably what was was derailing the show. Bart, although equally eccentric, is at his core so damn decent, engaging and likable you just want to hug him till he squeels. Same goes for Nathan, of course.
What a nice evening. What a nice surprise. I was bracing for a pale version of "Forum." And, of course, Stroman rocks!
She and I am still here,
Gladys

Ruffian
#1re: The embodyment of the words 'pro' and 'it' : ROGER BART
Posted: 7/16/04 at 8:26pm

I am seeing it this weekend, can't wait

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#2re: The embodyment of the words 'pro' and 'it' : ROGER BART
Posted: 7/16/04 at 8:31pm

Thanks so much Gladys. I've been waiting to hear from someone that Roger had gone on. This is so incredibly exciting! I don't get to see it until 7/28 and I'm counting the days.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

bwayaddict Profile Photo
bwayaddict
#3re: The embodyment of the words 'pro' and 'it' : ROGER BART
Posted: 7/16/04 at 8:44pm

Yes, thanks for the post. I'm seeing it the matinee on the 21st. I'm so glad that I'm seeing it at the end of previews instead of at the beginning. I think it was me who originally started asking about The Frogs because when I bought the ticket I was unsure of what I would see and I was a little worried at first. Now I am anxious to see it and really want to see Nathan. I saw the Producers but Nathan's understudy was in. Of course I still enjoyed it but I really enjoy Nathan!

"The more I traveled the more I realized that fear makes strangers of people who should be friends." - Shirley MacLaine

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#4re: The embodyment of the words 'pro' and 'it' : ROGER BART
Posted: 7/16/04 at 8:57pm

Gladys: Did Roger have a song in the boat at the beginning of Act 2?

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"

cabarethed
#5re: The embodyment of the words 'pro' and 'it' : ROGER BART
Posted: 7/16/04 at 9:14pm

Thanks for that review! He does have such a huggable quality, doesn't he. I really have to plan on getting tix for this.

GladysBumps Profile Photo
GladysBumps
#6re: The embodyment of the words 'pro' and 'it' : ROGER BART
Posted: 7/16/04 at 10:33pm

No song that I remember at the begining of Act II, just a hysterical monologue alone on the boat mourning the the loss of Dionysos, which suddenly turned to glee when he suddenly realized "THE EVENING WILL NOW BE ALL ABOUT MEEEE!" Maybe there was a little snippet of a song but I don't think so.

TulitaPepsi
#7re: The embodyment of the words 'pro' and 'it' : ROGER BART
Posted: 7/17/04 at 4:00am

Okey doke! Thank you for that Greg, I mean Gladys! re: The embodyment of the words 'pro' and 'it' : ROGER BART

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"

DareQuilty Profile Photo
DareQuilty
#8re: The embodyment of the words 'pro' and 'it' : ROGER BART
Posted: 7/17/04 at 10:57pm

Roger Bart is truly gifted, even better he is a sweet person, when my parents saw The Producers whe n Iwas sick, he signed a get well message in the Playbill!

"Why can't you see inside to the man I am?!"

venticelli Profile Photo
venticelli
#9re: The embodyment of the words 'pro' and 'it' : ROGER BART
Posted: 7/19/04 at 1:44am

YES - Roger Bart is a wonderful actor and a fine human being! I can't wait to see this show!

"What could a computer do with a lifetime supply of chocolate? I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do with a lifetime supply of chocolate!"

BWayBoy88
#10re: The embodyment of the words 'pro' and 'it' : ROGER BART
Posted: 7/19/04 at 1:48am

My friends and I saw him on the street and all we did was say hi and he stopped to talk to us for about 15 min. Definitly one of the nicest actors

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#11re: The embodyment of the words 'pro' and 'it' : ROGER BART
Posted: 7/19/04 at 1:50am

But Roger Bart can only play gay characters. lol

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#12According to Kattan
Posted: 7/19/04 at 10:53am

Bart plays gay characters and I didn't want to play this character gay

And who said that Bart was playing this gay unless the director wants it that way? Also, playing gay characters doesn't seem to have threatened Bart's sexuality and self image as the very suggesiton of playing one seemed to have threatened Kattan's. Guess you gotta be comfortable with yourself, huh?

Seriously, really looking forward to Roger in this role...can't wait to see it again

"Life is a lesson in humility"

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#13According to Kattan
Posted: 7/19/04 at 10:56am

Snoopy is all man.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#14According to Kattan
Posted: 7/19/04 at 10:57am

The whole married with a daughter thing really helps reinforce his sexuality also I bet...

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

DJ Tifa
#15According to Kattan
Posted: 7/19/04 at 11:09am

Well, he does have children, but he's not married at the moment. But he is straight.

Sumofallthings
#16According to Kattan
Posted: 7/19/04 at 11:10am

I could have sworn he was but oh well.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

DJ Tifa
#17According to Kattan
Posted: 7/19/04 at 11:32am

Nah, read in a news article that he was still single. Although he did come out of the stage door at Producers the day before he left with a woman who was in Stepford Wives...he might be dating her.

::shrugs:: Either way. Doesn't matter.

HeartinNYC Profile Photo
HeartinNYC
#18According to Kattan
Posted: 7/19/04 at 11:49am

I've seen Roger around town with a lot of different women. It doesn't matter, of course. Who knew Snoopy was so attractive??

Neither a borrower nor a lender be...unless that's mine in the first place.

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#19According to Kattan
Posted: 7/19/04 at 2:12pm

My favorite Roger Bart story concerned the birth of his two daughters. He assisted at the birth of the second one, who he named "Eller". No joke - he named that poor child after Aunt Eller in Oklahoma because he loved musical theater so much and she was one of his favorite characters. How'd you like to be saddled with that name all your life?

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

TulitaPepsi
#20According to Kattan
Posted: 7/19/04 at 2:35pm

It's better than naming her "Jud"!

Plum
#21According to Kattan
Posted: 7/19/04 at 2:43pm

Or Ado Annie.

Sumofallthings
#22According to Kattan
Posted: 7/19/04 at 3:02pm

Or Hammerstein.

Videos