Posted: 8/25/04 at 12:25am

Since we have overrated I decided to make underrated and to start the list off:

Little Shop of Horrors

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#1re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 12:26am

PARADE

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#2re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 12:30am

I haven't heard much about that show, The Boy From Oz. Is it a sequel to Wicked about Elphie and Fiyyie's love child? I loooove Wicked.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#3re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 12:30am

Urinetown
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Little Shop of Horrors

I wonder if a lot of you are going to be saying Caroline, Or Change.

Type_A_Tiff: Um...Wicked and Boy From Oz are two completely different shows and have nothing to do with each other! Unless you're joking.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 8/25/04 at 12:30 AM

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#4re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 12:31am

I think the Producers got a lot of flak after the Lane and Broderick left, and I think it's a brilliantly comedic show no matter who plays the leads.

I also think people misread Avenue Q, when besides hysterical, is such a well put together and touching show.

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Updated On: 8/25/04 at 12:31 AM

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#5re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 12:31am

JAMES JOYCE'S THE DEAD

It's a highly under rated show with gorgeous music.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

Type_A_Tiff
#6re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 12:34am

Um...Wicked and Boy From Oz are two completely different shows and have nothing to do with each other! Unless you're joking.

But why would Broadway want to have a show that doesn't have anything to do with Oz, aka The Emerald City? I'm confused. It's a Wicked world, and we all just live in it.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#7re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 12:35am

You know what? Caroline's been mentioned on these boards a lot this week. Maybe a bit too much.

Oh hell, Caroline, or Change is underrated.

You know what they say; too much of a good thing is a better thing.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#8re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 12:39am

To branch out a little.......if I had to pick an underated singer, it would have to be ANTHONY WARLOW. I don't understand why every household in American does not have at least one of his recordings. That man is a VOCAL GOD!!!

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

ChicagoManic Profile Photo
ChicagoManic
#9re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 12:41am

Bat Boy.

Brilliant music. Comfort And Joy will got stuck in your head for ages.

Carrie: Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe, you have to let go of who you are to become who you will be.

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#10re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 12:43am

"Comfort and Joy....Comfort and Joy!
-Comfort and Jo-o-o-o-o-o-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY!"

ChicagoManic Profile Photo
ChicagoManic
#11re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 1:18am

Kill Him-Shut Up-KILL HIM-SHUT UP!

Best part of the whole song.

Carrie: Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe, you have to let go of who you are to become who you will be.

SMichaelK Profile Photo
SMichaelK
#12re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 1:22am

Last Five Years
Sweeney Todd.... I know they recieved accalim, but you don't always hear people bring them up off the bat.

You, you are the worst thing to happen to musical theater since Andrew Lloyd Webber... and you I just don't like you.

marincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
#13re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 1:39am

Ragtime, Parade, A Man of No Importance

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

Type_A_Tiff
#14re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 1:42am

For the record, Millie, I was kidding about The Boy From Oz. I know it's not Wicked's sequel. re: Under-rated musicals But the prequel.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#15re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 1:44am

Funny... re: Under-rated musicals

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

bwaybaby2 Profile Photo
bwaybaby2
#16re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 1:47am

SIDE SHOW!!!!!!! last five years. parade, wild party - off bway version, jekyll and hyde... p.s. caroline is NOT underrated - everyone knows its AMAZING

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#17re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 2:06am

Jekyll and Hyde... and does tick, tick... BOOM! count as and under-rated musical?

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

not_that_girl Profile Photo
not_that_girl
#18re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 5:48am

i would agree that tick tick boom is under-rated...
and also -
the wild party (off-broadway)
the sweet smell of sucess
Updated On: 8/25/04 at 05:48 AM

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#19re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 6:38am

Quilters

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#20re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 7:22am

The Last 5 Years! It took me so damn long to even hunt down the CD...I was all set to order it online (which I hate doing) but the local Barnes and Noble got some in yesterday! woohoo!

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05

Yankeefan007
#21re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 7:41am

la boheme

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#22re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 8:29am

The most underrated Broadway musicals I would have to think are those by Stephen Sondheim
Anyone Can Whistle - I love this show...I'm hankering for a revival
Sweeney Todd - its critically acclaimed but most people hate it
The Frogs! - I havent seen it...but i think the backlash is pretty severe...considering i hear it even contains hummable tunes *gasp*
Sunday In The Park With George - this is such an exceptionally moving piece of theatre...and it has so many beautiful songs..."Move On" "We Do Not Belong Together" "Children and Art" "Finishing the Hat" "Beautiful" I personally think Sondheim was robbed of a best score Tony for this show! (much as I love La Cage)
A Little Night Music - Okay, so i know everyone loves "Send in the Clowns" but there is so much more to this piece of theatre than that...
Other than the Sondheim musicals...
R & H's Carousel
Camelot - "If Ever I would leave you" is just sensational...and i thoroughly enjoyed this show
and i can think of a lot of others...but ive probably listed enough.
And btw...i struggle to call La Boheme a musical...its an opera, and a damn good one at that!

BWayBoy88
#23re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 8:48am

I would say that Caroline is under-rated. Even though there are a bunch of people on this board that like it, it got mixed reviews from critics and a lot of people dont understand it and therefore dont like it.

MusicalDirector109
#24re: Under-rated musicals
Posted: 8/25/04 at 8:51am

"The Secret Garden" - a beautiful score and great story
"110 in the Shade" - one of Jones and Schmidt's best
"Baby" - I still think a revival would work!