favorite caroline songs

theaterfan194
#0favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 2:32am

what are your favorite caroline songs i love underwater god i wish i had the lyrics i cant wait till the libretti comes out Updated On: 9/2/04 at 02:32 AM

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#1re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 3:14am

Aren't the lyrics included with the CD? I just got the CD today, but haven't opened it yet. Can't wait!

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 4:58am

I just bought the Caroline CD yesterday and I was disappointed. Out of what?... 50 some odd tracks... THERE ARE NO SONGS! They are all scene songs. Like Les Miz without any of the power ballads. No one stops for a moment to just sing a traditional musical theatre solo moment except for "Lot's Wife" and by then it was too late for me. I think that may be why the show is no longer running. I hate to even think about it, but if the show, like the CD, was only two hours, then they really could have taken the time to write an additional 20 minutes of songs that we might have left the theatre humming. And why for the love of whoever ... just because it's a musical about a black woman must the music all be R&B and Gospel??? Written by white people no less. And for whatever reason Chiffon, Crystal and Ronnette escaped from Little Shop and decided to show up in Louisiana is beyond me.... I'm not trying to be rude. I just didn't like it... Updated On: 9/2/04 at 04:58 AM

NuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
#3re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 6:27am

I disagree to the busting point, CATS. Caroline is a genius work of blah blah blah...We have all heard me say the same thing over and over....
I guess scene scongs aren't your thing, but "no power" could not be more wrong.

-d.b.j-

Vary My Days.

eyeonbroadway Profile Photo
eyeonbroadway
#4re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 7:30am

I've had my Caroline only a week so I don't have a strong favorite yet...but I'm REALLY liking the show! My only exposure to it had been the Tony's, which wasn't exactly a stellar endorsement, but after getting urged by other board members I bought it anyway. I always try to discipline myself to listen to a show 3 times before I decide whether I like it or not...I know, it sounds kind of rigid and systematic, but it works for me. Most of the time, when I give a show three chances, I find the good stuff and end up way more positive than I might be on the first listen.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#5re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 8:16am

I'm not trying to be rude.

And yet you succeed admirably. As for no songs, I counted 53 of them. Just because it isn't a traditional musical doesn't mean it isn't any good.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
#6re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 9:18am

There is so much of that post that is going to ruffle feathers.
I guess your CD must be defective. There are quite a few songs on there in fact because there are other ways of creating musical theatre without the "intrrupt speech with a traditional solo and now back to speech again" form. Just because you feel it doesn't have that hummable catchy little diddy that is being used to infiltrate the minds of all theatre-goers, does not mean that this musical did not feature numerous excellent songs. And there are songs that feature more than R&B and Gospel, "The Chanukah Party" for one. And I'm not even goin to respond to the doo wop girl reference right now.

But I feel as though I am repeating myself from other posts so I'm going to move back to the original topic. My favorite song changes every few days. It's currently "1943".
Updated On: 9/2/04 at 09:18 AM

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#7re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 9:20am

There she is folks, my favorite new poster.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#8re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:54am

Cats...once again you show the world exactly what you're made of...

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#9re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 11:03am

it's funny how there are people on this board who can judge a work without ever seeing that work on stage, and then get all martyred when others HAVE seen said persons FAVORITE show and post objective, negative criticisms about it... Updated On: 9/2/04 at 11:03 AM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#10re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 11:08am

Mama There's money
Down in the Laundry
Dig for the money
Down in the laundry
Mama come home

I think that's a song.....I mean...she IS singing it.

And I think the white person did a bang up job of writing R&B and Gospel. And I am black. Newsflash...white people have soul too! OK....I will just stop there and get back to work! That post got a bit under my skin.

Just give the world Love.

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#11re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 12:31pm

i love lot's wife!

NoticeMeStuart
#12re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 12:45pm

moon emmie stuart trio
AND
long distance

those rock!!!!!!!!!!

"Look, see Rose's husband, gone stiff in mid-air..."

VIETgrlTerifa
#13re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 1:25pm

I love the first 8 songs, Dottie and Caroline sequence, Roosevelt Petrucius Coleslaw, the beginning of CD 2, Lot's Wife and all the songs after Lot's Wife.

Those are a lot. I love the part after Lot's Wife and before Salty Teardrops begins where the clarinet is playing.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#14re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 2:01pm

And why for the love of whoever ... just because it's a musical about a black woman must the music all be R&B and Gospel???

It's to reflect the background and music that Caroline and her family listen to. Notice how the white family (sorry, haven't memorized their names yet) is given a different musical style. It's all to reflect character.

I rather like sung-through musicals - the emotions are always more heightened, and the suspension of disbelief is consistently held throughout. Try not to think of sung-through musicals (particularly Caroline or Change) as having songs, but arias, like in an opera.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#15re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 2:03pm

(edited for content) Updated On: 9/2/04 at 02:03 PM

sit&dither Profile Photo
sit&dither
#16re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 4:23pm

My favorite: "I Hate the Bus." It's absolutely rivetting and so worth that Tony.

And for campy fun, you can't beat "Santa Commin' Caroline." It just makes you smile.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#17re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 4:42pm

Once again, I apologize for expressing my opinion. All I did was put the CDs in, listen to them and I didn't like it. I apologize for saying anything more....

NBRISBY Profile Photo
NBRISBY
#18re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 4:48pm

WELL, maybe next time you'll know better than to do something so dumb as express a minority opinion! Geesh, that was stupid.

sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
#19re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 4:50pm

It's not that you expressed an opinion. It's the way you did it. It's all in the tone. Updated On: 9/2/04 at 04:50 PM

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#20re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 5:02pm

exactly... cats couldn't stand it when his darling show Dracula got panned by the majority of critics and by those here who SAW it, and then based his opinion of Caroline based only on listening to his OBC...

"No one stops for a moment to just sing a traditional musical theatre solo moment except for "Lot's Wife" and by then it was too late for me. I think that may be why the show is no longer running."

That's not what this show was about... had you SEEN it you might have a more objective opinion other than your first post above...

and NOW, i have to leave... i am going to see if Eubie! is available to view at the Museum of Radio and Television... Updated On: 9/2/04 at 05:02 PM

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#21re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 5:08pm

I just find myself humming songs at random times. There isn't one single track that I skip listening to this show. I'll start at #1 and continue to the end.

Mama There's money
Down in the Laundry
Dig for the money
Down in the laundry
Mama come home

LOVE IT! But everything in this show is so brilliant I can't stand it. The more and more I listen the more I realize just how important this show will be in the years to come. God willing, we should get a show of it's caliber once every 10 years and I'd be happy.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Updated On: 9/2/04 at 05:08 PM

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#22re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 5:21pm

The entire score is amazing, but love "I Hate the Bus" and "Moon Trio" !!!

NuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
#23re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 5:49pm

ooh, someone take a picture: I get to correct MATT!

you mean "caiber".
?

:)

made my day with that mistake.

HAH. Loser, party of "me".

anyway, the show is as genius as we are all saying.
It will/had better grow on you.
:)
-d.b.j-

Vary My Days.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#24re: favorite caroline songs
Posted: 9/2/04 at 5:50pm

What mistake, Dookie Monkey?

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

Videos