pixeltracker

Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy

Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy

TEACHEROFTHEATER Profile Photo
TEACHEROFTHEATER
#0Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 3:02pm

In today's column Ken Mandelbaum asks who will replace Bernadette Peters as Rose in the current revival of GYPSY upon her departure.

I think the most thrilling Rose would be Patti Lupone

I am not sure if Liza is up to the rigors of Rose, right now.

Betty Buckley seems a likely choice as would Donna Murphy were she not about to open in Wonderful Town.

Chita Rivera is great in anything she does and is seemingly ageless.

and I guess an interesting thought is always Shirley Maclaine.

"MAY YOUR LIFE BE AS BRIGHT AS BROADWAY AT NIGHT"

FFARLS
#1re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 3:04pm

I say they give Bette Midler a shot... she was great in the made for TV version.

Hello Gorgeous
#2re: re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 3:06pm

I hope they find someone who can do as good of a job as Bernadette. It would be a disappointment to have her leave, and then 2 weeks later the show closes wouldn't it? I'm sure that someone just as talented will take over though! (at least I hope)

~*Christa*~ "Don't ya wanna be the life of the party?" Idina Menzel, THE WILD PARTY

TEACHEROFTHEATER
#3re: re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 3:09pm

a shot?????? I suspect the divine Miss Midler would have a shot at starring in this or perhaps many other stage productions of GYPSY as she'd like. I think she would be wonderful too.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#4re: re: re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 3:14pm

There is one actress I want to see do this role after Bernadette leaves. And that is Bebe Neuwirth.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

broadwayguy2
#5re: re: re: re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 3:15pm

Two words... Karen. Mason.

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#6re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 3:16pm

She'd never do it, the rigors of the role would kill her, and she's probably a little bit too old for it now, but I always wished that Carol Burnett had taken on Rose. She's undervalued as a singer and a dramatic actress.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

Bwaybabie Profile Photo
Bwaybabie
#7re: re: re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 3:16pm

TEACHEROFTHEATER--I like your choices. One thing though...

As much as I love and revere both Chita and Shirley, they are both just too old for Rose. At the beginning of the show, Rose is supposed to be a woman who has two young daughters. Bernadette was able to pull it off because while she may be well into her fifties, she looks at least 10 years younger so it was credible. :)

I would love to see Donna Murphy as Rose. Or Patti. Michele Pawk would be great too. :)

Paulie
#8re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 3:23pm

Let Maureen Moore take over the role.

Then Michele Pawk when they need money.

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#9re: re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 3:29pm

Frankly, Donna Murphy, Betty Buckley, Karen Mason, Michele Pawk and even Patti Lupone mean nothing at the box office, despite their obvious talents. The show requires a big name star and will not run without one. It's not going to be an easy process.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#10re: re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 3:30pm

I agree that Maureen should be given the chance to take over. We already know she can play the part.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

TEACHEROFTHEATER
#11re: re: re: re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 3:31pm

i suspect you are right about the age factor bwaybabie:)

MsNina
#12re: re: re: re: re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 4:30pm

my vote is for the divine miss M.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#13re: re: re: re: re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 4:33pm

I have a feeling this production will close shortly after BP leaves for a couple of reasons. First, I think most people are going to see BP and without a name of her magnitude intrest will soon fade.

I think Patti and Betty and even Bebe, although they aren't quite household names, are big enough stars to hold out for their own revival in say 6-10 years. They would not step into this production.(They couldn't get a Tony for one thing!)

I would rather give Bea Aurther or Stritchy a crack at it before it is really too late. Then BP could be June and Michelle Pawk can play Louise.(Wow, think of it, even of it is only a concert version! One night benifit for the Actor's Fund?)

God, I should be a producer!

PEACE.

bernadette88
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 4:47pm

Hey Guys! Catherine Zeta-Jones did an interview a while back and said to a spokeswomen that a role she has always wanted to play was Mama Rose on Broadway. Now personally, i think she was awesome in Chicago, but she is way to young to be taking on roles like that!! I doubt the would choose her for the role, but since tickets sales have been good for Gypsy then they will want to get somebody in there whose name sells and Catherine being a recent Oscar Winner would definetely sell tickets but probably wouldn't be right for the part...just thought i would share!!

poodleboy Profile Photo
poodleboy
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 5:07pm

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but "Gypsy" has been up at TKTS since it opened. Not really a big hit in ticket sales. I think the show will just close when or before BP is set to leave.
Just the opinion of one boy.

moljul Profile Photo
moljul
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 5:23pm

Well I hate to burst your bubble but Gypsy has been selling very well and is usually consistently the 5th highest grossing show on Broadway. Yes, the back mezz seats and maybe half of the balcony are on TKTS all the time because they are a hard sell. But they go quickly on TKTS. Often on weekend nights the discount for tickets is 25% instead of the usual 50%. And the rest of the seats sell well. The show does well on the majority of its seats selling at full price, has high occupancy and a pretty decent average ticket price despite the TKTS discounts. I think they have an area of seats in the orchestra that are part of the premium seat prices. Gypsy is going no where for at least the year that Bernadette has signed on for. I think she could keep it going longer if she chooses to extend. But replacing her will be hard. Finding someone who is capable of the role, wants to make the commitment to 8 shows a week and has the box office draw. I guess we will have to see.

I believe Catherine Zeta-Jones was speaking of playing Mama Rose at a much future date. I don't quite remember the article but it seems she said, "the next time it is revived".

GottaGimmick
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 6:46pm

Yes it is just one boy's opinion... as for this one's.... I completely agree with MOLJUL! Right on! About tickets and CZJ taking over! That would be awesome!

Lorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 6:57pm

just a question.......does anyone know when (or around when) bernadette's contract is up?

(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."

#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy

How about Cher or Barbara Streisand? Barbara's surprised us once before.

#20.

Updated On: 8/18/03 at 06:57 PM

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#21re: .
Posted: 8/18/03 at 7:01pm

Robyn, you might as well hold your breath for the Virgin Mary to replace BP. Cher could not sing 8 or even 5 shows a week, and Babs...well..See my post above. Like she would "REPLACE" anyone.

PEACE.

ShineOn
#22re: re: .
Posted: 8/18/03 at 7:06pm

I'd LOVE to see Bebe in the NEXT revival as well! She's only 44 (well, heading for 45...), so, in a good ten years she'd be the perfect age for the role! She would put an interesting twist on Mama Rose! Maybe even do some interesting choreo for "Rose's Turn." (Wouldn't that be something to see Rose burst into a few impressive steps after belting her brains out?) I really like that Bebe idea.

For replacement, I really like the idea of Pawk taking over. She's so fabulous... and I want to see Michele and John playing opposite each other!!!

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin

PJ
#23re: re: .
Posted: 8/18/03 at 7:07pm

10-15 years from now...Catherine Zeta-Jones or Jane Krakwoski would be a nifty casting as Rose. But as for a replacement for Bernadette, I have yet to think of someone other than Liza or Patti that could pull it off.

Broadwaylady Profile Photo
Broadwaylady
#24re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Replacing Bernadette as Rose in Gypsy
Posted: 8/18/03 at 7:13pm

Her contract better not be up already. I did see her in Gypsy in May and someone bought be tickets to see it in September. I hope she is in it again. I will be in fifth row.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."