Highlighting Lines

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#0Highlighting Lines
Posted: 9/26/04 at 5:02pm

Do you or don't you

i do not

Sorry if this is on the wrong board but I couldn't decide.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#1re: Highlighting Lines
Posted: 9/26/04 at 5:05pm

i'm guilty ::runs away in shame::

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#2re: Highlighting Lines
Posted: 9/26/04 at 5:07pm

There is nothing wrong with highlighting lines (or not highlighting them)

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#3re: Highlighting Lines
Posted: 9/26/04 at 5:09pm

I don't, usually because I have to give the script back at the end of the production.

aspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
#4re: Highlighting Lines
Posted: 9/26/04 at 5:11pm

I highlight, and specifically ask for a photo copy or my own copy of the script. I take extensive notes as to emphasis, character development, physical motion, etc.

I'm a nerd like that though. re: Highlighting Lines

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#5re: Highlighting Lines
Posted: 9/26/04 at 5:12pm

I highlight.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#6re: Highlighting Lines
Posted: 9/26/04 at 5:14pm

"I take extensive notes as to emphasis, character development, physical motion, etc."
I'll do this too but I don't highlight.

Ebonic_Singer
#7re: Highlighting Lines
Posted: 9/26/04 at 5:17pm

I usually highlightify.

badkarma719 Profile Photo
badkarma719
#8re: Highlighting Lines
Posted: 9/26/04 at 5:31pm

depending on where the script is from

MTI- no
Tams-whitmark- no
(cause they charge if you do)

Sam French-yes cause you or the theatre keeps the scripts
Dramatic Publiching-yes

like i said it depends where its from

In the words of the great MargoChanning "Broadwayworld.com -- Your One Stop on the Internet for All Things Broadway, Nasty Political Discussions, Meltdowns, Name-Calling and General Nonsense along with being a Premiere Pick-up Joint for Hotties, Shut-ins, Rambunctuous Teenagers With Bad Grammar, and All Manner of Bitter, Jaded Theatre Queens with WAY Too Much Time on Their Hands"?

chauvelin128 Profile Photo
chauvelin128
#9re: Highlighting Lines
Posted: 9/26/04 at 5:34pm

I always do...it helps me when I still have book in hand to find my line quickly and get my face back in the air so I can stay aware of what's going on around me.

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#10re: Highlighting Lines
Posted: 9/26/04 at 5:35pm

Every time I get a script that I can keep, I get highlighter happy. I usually color code my script. All my songs are one color, then all the lines alternate colors.

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#11re: Highlighting Lines
Posted: 9/26/04 at 5:40pm

Me too, Diva. I just had to do one yesterday - lines pink, songs blue, stage direction yellow. :)

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#12re: Highlighting Lines
Posted: 9/26/04 at 5:52pm

I do. And then I count the number of lines I have versus my co-stars, write it in the margin and tell them that I've got a bigger (and therefore more important) part and for them to kiss my ass all the way to my new private dressing room.

(Yellow highlighting goes great with green with jealousy, no?)

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#13re: Highlighting Lines
Posted: 9/26/04 at 6:52pm

If I'm keeping the script, I go highlighter happy IMMEDIATELY. I love highlighting lines. Lines in blue, stage directions in green.

Am I the only one who TOTALLY FREAKS OUT when I highlight someone else's line by accident? It makes me want to buy a new script and start over. :P

Must...be...organized...

Ebonic_Singer
#14re: Highlighting Lines
Posted: 9/26/04 at 7:20pm

Actually it is annoying when you highlight someone else's line. And I only highlight if it's a script I can keep, obviously.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#15re: Highlighting Lines
Posted: 9/26/04 at 8:05pm

i highlight my lines in one color and my understudy lines in another (this was a trainwreck in annie since it was every single male line)

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Roxie Profile Photo
Roxie
#16re: Highlighting Lines
Posted: 9/26/04 at 8:09pm

I highlight my name at the beginning of each line as long as it's a phtocopy. I don't highlight each and every word. That's a little much.

lyfeisacabaret
#17re: Highlighting Lines
Posted: 9/26/04 at 8:25pm

I highlight my lines no matter what... then i claim that I lost it at the end of the show and pay the fee for the lost script... much easier than photocopying. lol.

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#18re: Highlighting Lines
Posted: 9/26/04 at 8:36pm

tams-witmark scripts are horrendous! They only give the actor his lines and the cue lines. I am a cameo in "applause" but I wanna see the whole script, the scene before mine, etc.

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Videos