pixeltracker

Your favorite Mimi . . .- Page 2

Your favorite Mimi . . .

FutureBwayPRGirl
#25re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/30/04 at 7:43pm

I saw Mel B. By Another Day, her voice was completely shot. Up to that point, she had I guess the low raspy voice that is typical of Mimi and the look, but she over-acted and couldn't sing half of the notes by the end of the show. I don't know how they kept her in the production for so long when her voice clearly could not handle it.

FindingNamo
#26re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/30/04 at 7:44pm

It's weird. She was really good in Spice World.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

FabalaCohen
#27re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/30/04 at 8:16pm

Jaime Lee Kirchner. I saw her in a recent tour back in February. AWESOME actress.

"During this performance, please feel free to let your cell phones and pagers ring willy-nilly. However, do remember that there are heavily-armed knights on stage and you might well be dragged up and impaled." (Pre-curtain announcement at the new Broadway musical Monty Python's Spamalot)

N0tThatGirl213 Profile Photo
N0tThatGirl213
#28re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/30/04 at 8:23pm

Where'd you see the tour? Just out of curiosity...

"A little humility wouldn't hurt." --Ellie, Constantine-Hellblazer, "Dangerous Habits"

FabalaCohen
#29re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/30/04 at 8:29pm

Pittsburgh, Feb. 3-8. I saw it on the 7, with Brian Gligor as Mark and Constaine Maourolis as Roger.

"During this performance, please feel free to let your cell phones and pagers ring willy-nilly. However, do remember that there are heavily-armed knights on stage and you might well be dragged up and impaled." (Pre-curtain announcement at the new Broadway musical Monty Python's Spamalot)

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#30re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/30/04 at 8:38pm

Just curious how many people actually saw the OBC live and how many people are saying DR-V judging from the OBCR and/or bootlegs. (That wasn't meant to sound bitchy. I really want to know.)

Also, I saw the current RENT tour with a few people who saw Mel B as Mimi and they said they prefer Mel over Tallia, in terms of energy and dancing, and Tallia for acting and singing.

Oh yeah, just curious...what do you base a good "Out Tonight" on? (I've got my own criteria. Anyone?)

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

FabalaCohen
#31re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/30/04 at 8:42pm

I think a good "Out Tonight" is a great channeling of Mimi's personality. It's a very raw number, if you ask me, and it would be tough to convey Mimi.

Of course, I've seen the show once and only heard the OBCR. Don't listen to me.

Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
#32re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/30/04 at 8:42pm

I'm very picky with the Out Tonight scene, but my main criteria are a) be able to hit the notes properly, b) not get winded by the end of the song. and c) have a very good dance.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#33re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/30/04 at 9:00pm

Tiff, I've never seen Daphne actually perform the role - I'm going based on the OBCR and what I saw at Kean. If you can do an Out Tonight like that while almost ready to have a child... well, wow.

Out Tonight has to be fierce and seductive. Obviously you need someone who sings well, dances well, etc, but there are lots of people who can do those things. I think it's more based on how someone's portrayal of the character is in general.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#34re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/30/04 at 9:03pm

Okay, I suppose the obsessive Bowler in me wasn't clear enough - I want specifics and technicalities. What does it take to be Mimi? (Aside from the requisite blue pants - NOT black!) Does she have to kick high on the stairs? Do a certain number of grinds? What?

What's the best OT you guys have seen? I've seen a few and nothing's totally blown me away.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#35re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/30/04 at 9:06pm

*gives up*

I'm not THAT much of a RENThead. re: Your favorite Mimi . . .

*waits to see other answers*

A work of art is an invitation to love.

FabalaCohen
#36re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/30/04 at 9:07pm

Sass. Grittyness. Sexy. A little vunerable underneath all the street smarts.

Why am I posting my ideal Mimi? I've only seen Jamie Lee's interpretation, for God's sake. I really need another look at the role.

twogaab2
#37re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/30/04 at 10:39pm

Victoria de los Angeles

TWOGAAB "A Class Act" will never die!

525600minutes2
#38re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/30/04 at 10:42pm

Karmine Alers.

NJgirl
#39re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/30/04 at 11:29pm

"I'm very picky with the Out Tonight scene, but my main criteria are a) be able to hit the notes properly, b) not get winded by the end of the song. and c) have a very good dance. "

Exactly how I would answer...of the 4 people Ive seen as Mimi...Krystal Washington a few weeks ago was the best Ive seen.

I saw Mel B. in the summer...she couldnt hit high notes in Out Tonight...but Goodbye Love was decent and full of emotion..prolly her best song in the show when I saw her...She sounded like she was sick and hoarse and overly raspy the entire show...however her acting was fine IMO...her moves and stuff during "light my candle" were great..singing though..not so much..lol. Basically it was her singing that got on my nerves and my friends'...

when we went back and saw the show again a few weeks ago...we looked at each other after "Out Tonight" and was like THAT is how the song is supposed to be done...and Krystal's dancing on that song was awesome...

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#40re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/30/04 at 11:39pm

I saw Karmine a few years back on Broadway and Jaime Lee on tour early this summer. Jaime had more energy, in my opinion. Karmine, on the other hand, was in better vocal shape. Jaime really sounded like she was trying to be a replica of Daphne. She was doing a good job of it. Really sweet girl too. Gives great hugs. Overall, I prefered Jaime. That's only because I don't remember Karmine's performance as well. The standouts when I saw it on B-Way were Jai Rodriguez, Matt Caplan, and Maggie Benjamin. I sort of forgot about the rest of the actors.

Becky
#41re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/30/04 at 11:59pm

Out of the ladies I've seen, it's hard to pick just one because my favorites have each brought something special to the role --

Daphne - A raw edge and nailed the characterization of Mimi so perfectly

Marcy Harriell - Displayed a little bit innocence and naivety while showing a degree of street smarts

Krysten Cummings - CRAZY. Absolutely crazy, wild, sexy, and dangerous with a crazy-@ss voice

Karmine Alers - Probably the lady that has everything I could ever want in Mimi all wrapped up

FosseBoi
#42re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/31/04 at 12:03am

DAPHNE RUBIN-VEGA!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE HER!!!!!!!!!! I would KILL to see her be Mimi!!!! Hell, I would KILL to meet her! Even better, I would KILL to do both!! re: Your favorite Mimi . . .

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#43re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/31/04 at 12:05am

violence is not the answer FB re: Your favorite Mimi . . .

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#44re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/31/04 at 8:27am

I've seen four different Mimi's too...I'm really picky with my "Out Tonight" song, I want the song to be 1) rockin', making me want to jump out of my seat, 2) I want Mimi to take her time, with all the "meoooow~HA!" without rushing the emotions, making the dynamic range from soft to loud dramatic, and of course, must be in tune. The other Mimi's I've seen seemed uncomfortable with their singing a rock song, not taking enough time with the emotions ("OW~"). I agree Mimi is vulnerable, but she's also a tough cookie too.

Krystal Washington rocks this song out of the ones I've seen, a close 2nd is Daphne (I've only heard her on the recording though so Daphne is probably better live).

I'm also picky about my Maureen too, "Over the Moon"...the best Maureen I've seen is the Korean cast. Hilarious~ But I guess that's another thread...

QueenMuppet Profile Photo
QueenMuppet
#45re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/31/04 at 8:47am

Shoot me, but I actually really liked Krysten Cummings best. I know a lot of people don't agree with me but I thought she really kicked arse as Mimi.

Also think that Krystal L Washington is currently doing a great job.

QM

'He really wasn't good as Fieyro. Is it just me or does he sort of come across as a pimp? Just...the hand motions I've seen him do and the attitude..not that Taye is a pimp.' - SallyBrown on Taye Diggs as Fiyero

dapapabear2 Profile Photo
dapapabear2
#46re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/31/04 at 9:18am

I saw Mel in the role of Mimi and I was very disappointed. There was just something missing. Her peformance of Out Tonight was perhaps the low point of the show for me, I've seen audition clips of women performing the song better.
She wasn't totally bad, she can sing and she interacted well with the rest of the cast, she just didn't come close to anyone else I have seen in the role. Someone mention Goodbye Love - that was for me her best moment in the show
Krystal Washington is probably the best I have seen though the woman playing the part the first time I saw it set an almost impossibly high standard. I don't even know who she was but when she sang Without You she ripped my heart right out.

"They said the war by now would all be over They said one day our land would be reborn But looking now at all that we have sacrificed There's nothing left but a world forever torn" Justin Murphy

parker russel
#47re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/31/04 at 9:31am

I never understood people who thought Simone was the best...did you actually see her. If unnessisary riffing through every emotional thought is considered good...then I suppose she was the best. However, I never once believed she was 19. I never once believed she would be a junkie (not to bring up weight...but a heroine/coke junkie she was not). And, having seen her attempt to dance in Out Tonight I don't know who would pay her to watch her strip. I really hate to be negative and should keep these thoughts to myself, but I really thought she gave one of the most misguided (or miscast) performances I've ever seen. Maybe in a different role she'd be better. But, it just felt like she had absolutely no connection to the material she was performing.

As for my favorites. Gotta give it up for Daphne. As for replacements no one beats MAYA DAYS. I'm surprised no one's mentioned her yet. She had it all. She looked young. Looked skinny enough to be a junkie. Could move like no one's business. Was raw and rough, but had the emotional vulnerability needed...plus she was gorgeous (and still is). Vocally she was perfect. She really was top rate.

insomniak
#48re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/31/04 at 10:24am

Daphne and Dom.

A good OT requires sexy, energetic dancing and should remind the audience that Mimi is a stripper (throwing in extra reactions to the audience, winks, grins, ect), while wowing them with powerhouse vocals.

Becky
#49re: Your favorite Mimi . . .
Posted: 10/31/04 at 11:58am

I never understood people who thought Simone was the best...

Simone seemed to be showing off how wonderful and talented Simone was, and never seemed to be in the moment - especially in Another Day. Most of the song she'd barely look at Roger - she was just belting out the music (wonderfully I might add) but there was no connection. And because she was afraid of heights and didn't do the "bar" dance in OT? A little bit of a disappointment. I did enjoy her as Aida though, so maybe she grew as an actress. She certainly has a voice.

And Queen Muppet? I *loved* Krysten Cummings. She really brought a wild and crazy element to the role I hadn't seen - and I enjoyed every second of the show when I saw with her.