Ellen's Stardust Diner

#50re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 6/4/06 at 10:40pm

I'd rather eat at Carmine's. Actually, I'd rather spend time at Barrymore's or Sam's or Puleo's or J.R.'s but the Shubert Organization has gotten greedy and want to build another tourist hotel so they've kicked all the favorite hangouts out of W. 45th St.

glinda7
#51re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 6/5/06 at 10:24am

Congrats on your job! I want to work there when I got to college. I love that place!

"Don't worry cracker boy, it's cool."

Gothampc
#52re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 6/5/06 at 10:40am

"Sorry to thread-jack but... Why do so many New Yorkers hate tourists so much??"

Because they give standing ovations to shows like "In My Life"

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#53re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 6/19/06 at 7:04am

I pride myself on the fact that I know my way around the city very well, and rarely have to ask how to get somewhere. But am I still a tourist?

DRS, I've lived here for 3 years now and I *still* stop people on the street for directions. So I'd say you've definitely earned your stars and surpassed being a tourist.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

elphaba432 Profile Photo
elphaba432
#54re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 6/19/06 at 7:48am

I went there on Saturday(June 17) I love it! It's SO much fun.

Just because I got the lead doesn't mean you can't be my understudy!:)

CJR
#55re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 6/19/06 at 10:46am

The Stardust has become over priced and the food has gone way downhill over the years.

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

WickedRentEder Profile Photo
WickedRentEder
#56re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 6/19/06 at 11:57am

Well this NY'er went & had a blast. A couple of friends took me there for my birthday a couple of years ago and I loved it! The songs were good, but I admit I was paying more attention to the big TV that was showing "Grease" and then episodes of "I Love Lucy". It is expensive (duh!) -- you ARE in the heart of Times Square sort of speak, but the food was good. If you want cheap food and big portions, go to the Renaissance Diner on 49th & 9th. VERY yummy!

Misconception
#57re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 6/19/06 at 2:12pm

I was just there a week ago today (June 12) and had a great time! I went with my choir during our trip/tour to NYC, this restaurant being our first stop in the city. I thought it was all fantastic- the food was great, service was pretty good, and all of the waiters had amazing voices- there was one guy in particular that I really loved, but I can't remember his name at all.

I would definately go there again if I took another trip to NYC!

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#58re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 6/19/06 at 2:21pm

"Sorry to thread-jack but... Why do so many New Yorkers hate tourists so much??"

There is a difference between 'tourists' and 'travelers'. Tourists ride around on those double decker buses, eat in places like Olive Garden, visit the top of the Empire State Building and the UN and go home thinking they've seen New York. Travelers, on the other hand, explore the neighborhoods, eat in little out-of-the-way restaurants, and check out plays and Off-Broadway as well as the big musicals. I think every New Yorker (or San Franciscan, or Parisian for that matter) loves it when a visitor asks them for a favorite restaurant recommendation, or a suggestion as to what play to see. It's the ones that travel in packs, clutching bags from the NBC Store, looking for Mama Leone's that we tend to dislike.

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

iHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
#59re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 6/19/06 at 2:37pm

Ugh, I really can't stand Ellen's, sorry guys! THe one time I was there the service was amazingly slow and my burger was so undercooked it was practically raw. The waiter that sang Mack The Kinfe to me was pretty cute, though!

"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."

teebz Profile Photo
teebz
#60re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 6/19/06 at 2:40pm

I just went here about a week ago.

My friend and I could not get through our meal without bursting into laughter every few minutes. It's just funny when your trying to talk and the waiters start belting out songs in your face.

The food is absolutley atrocious and the atmosphere sucks.

DrunkyMcWasted Profile Photo
DrunkyMcWasted
#61re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 6/19/06 at 2:50pm

I plan to get a job there when I get back to the city next month.

The food is expensive, and I don't generally eat there myself... but you can make an ASSLOAD of money in tips working there (because rich tourists LOVE gimmicky crap like that), and hey, I get to sing without annoying the crap out of my neighbors.

l love you without knowing how... or when... or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride.
I love you because I know no other way than this.

I believe in fate
But it's up to us to follow through

darkmist115 Profile Photo
darkmist115
#62re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 6/19/06 at 6:22pm

it's cute, but tacky. nice once or twice, maybe, but after that, not so much.

might be fun to work at, though, but again, not for too long.

babygiraffeboots Profile Photo
babygiraffeboots
#63re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 6/19/06 at 6:37pm

some of the waiters should never have been hired but it's a fun enviroment and enjoy myself everytime I go.

I love watching tourists, they're so entertaining.

"Without Jews, fags, and gypsies, there is no theatre!" ~Mel Brooks, To be or not to be

Harpz2006
#64re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 3/29/09 at 1:13am

I ate there last night, and our waiter was this guy Brandon, who performed "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" with the most gusto I've ever heard. After some stalkage, I found out he is Brandon Ellis, who appeared on Broadway in COMPANY. He was every bit as crazy vocally talented as Adam Lambert, and he's just giving it away singing for people eating their hamburgers! I was really impressed by all the singers last night, and had a good time.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#65re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 3/29/09 at 5:57am

I LOVED this place when I went on my trip to NYC last year. We have put it down as one of our top choices to go back to, along with Serendipity.

Jersey Girl2 Profile Photo
Jersey Girl2
#66re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 3/29/09 at 8:43am

>>>>>It's the ones that travel in packs, clutching bags from the NBC Store, looking for Mama Leone's that we tend to dislike.

LOL- but NYC needs the tourists.

I had some college friends come in and they wanted to go to Ellens- we had a blast. Everything was good & the service was wonderful.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss."

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#67re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 3/29/09 at 9:01am

Are we just going to bump this thread every three years or so? I bags bumping it in 2012! re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#68re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 3/29/09 at 9:08am

You have to admit....it's certainly better than starting a NEW thread about it.

I will bring my kids here once in a while....like every two years. I don't mind the noise and the hubbub, but the wait is obnoxious and the food is entirely sub standard.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ThankstoPhantom
#69re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 3/29/09 at 10:00am

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Updated On: 3/29/09 at 10:00 AM

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#70re: re: re: re: Ellen's Stardust Diner
Posted: 3/29/09 at 10:25am

I've been there twice. The entertainment was perhaps the best thing (but still none to good). It was mainly like sitting through a rehearsal. Sadly most of them are far better performers than they are servers. We were there at breakfast and couldn't get our meals -- there were only maybe 15 people there at the time. We finally got burnt toast and couldn't get anyone's attention to take it back. The time we went for after theatre "supper" the food was nothing short of disgusting and very expensive. The food is dismal and overpriced.

The idea that entertainers can and should also be servers is really demeaning and lame. Seany, is being a server in a diner a life long dream of yours? If not, I suspect it will not be your strong suit there, and it IS a restaurant after all. My overall opinion is that it is a poor quality restaurant who can only get people to work there by promising them a chance to perform. Kind of sad, really.