Why did Les Miz close?

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#0Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 3:29pm

I was watching a Les Miz video on Broadway.com and I never saw the show and wasn't a big Broadway fan when it closed...but everything I've heard about it is fantastic....so why is it that it closed if it was so fantastic? Just poor box office? I'm sure someone on here knows....I've wondered the same with CATS.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#1re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 3:31pm

I think it was pretty much for box office reasons. The show was still doing pretty well, but I guess they decided to let it die with dignity before things got worse. It had been running for such a long time, it was time for it to go.

Phantom Chicken Profile Photo
Phantom Chicken
#2re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 3:33pm

Les Mis is the best show ever...

it closed for a bucnh of obvious reasons...also, it closed when it did because the set was being sent to Belgium...

but the tour is still going...and hopefully going strong...

"I think Harvey [Fierstein] wishes he were a black woman. I say he's the largest black woman in the show. I wish Harvey were straight, cuz I'd do him in a minute. I like big burly mother f***ers like him." ~Mary Bond Davis on Harvey Fierstein Thanks to Mistress @ spouzic.com

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#3re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 3:39pm

Les Mis had a long, incredibly healthy Broadway run. It exceeded most everyone's expectations. I love the show, and am glad it got out while it was still hot. re: Why did Les Miz close?

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#4re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 3:42pm

I will always remember the Forbidden Bway parody of it which was a hoot.

Poster Emeritus

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#5re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 3:44pm

Mr. Roxy:
Please remind me which Forbidden Broadway CD, if any, the Les Miz spoof is on.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#6re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 3:47pm

Volume 2 - Yellow Front

Poster Emeritus

Phantom Chicken
#7re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 3:50pm

::points to sig, in honor of les mis::

"I think Harvey [Fierstein] wishes he were a black woman. I say he's the largest black woman in the show. I wish Harvey were straight, cuz I'd do him in a minute. I like big burly mother f***ers like him." ~Mary Bond Davis on Harvey Fierstein Thanks to Mistress @ spouzic.com

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#8re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 4:09pm

ShuQ, which video is that? COuld you post the link?

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#9re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 4:32pm

Don't forget that the post-9/11 climate affected many shows, including LES MIZ. I think it could have run a few more years if Broadway had not suffered such a blow.

Still, a 16-year run is phenomenal by any standards, and it was better perhaps to see it bow out gracefully than as a joke (as was with CATS, which long outstayed its welcome).

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#10re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 4:34pm

CATS outstayed its welcome the day it went into rehearsals

Poster Emeritus

Joshua488
#11re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 4:44pm

CATS obviously didn't outstay its welcome if people were still flocking to see it, and you still hear people complaining about its closure. YOU might not have liked it, but a hell of a lot of people did.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#12re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 4:45pm

Point well taken

It is just annoying that much better musicals fail while this succeeds. I apologize to those of you who liked CATS & I am glad it did it fo you

Poster Emeritus

Phantom Chicken
#13re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 4:52pm

well, i liked cats....still pissed about dracs, but LES MIS closing was the first time I seriously felt lost in this world...

musicgal04 Profile Photo
musicgal04
#14re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 5:01pm

Les Mis closed so it could be revived.

Winokur_fan Profile Photo
Winokur_fan
#15re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 5:09pm

As for the tour...it is still going strong. Our school's chorus went to see it this week. Excellent!

~*~Fairytales do come true~*~ Keala Settle: Aloha, Sistah! It's all good...<3<3<3

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#16re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 5:33pm

"but I guess they decided to let it die with dignity before things got worse. It had been running for such a long time, it was time for it to go."

I wish more people would end their lives this way as well.

Phantom Chicken
#17re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 5:34pm

me 2...bronx...me 2

-bso

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#18re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 5:40pm

To save money why not revive Cats & Le Miz with Cats playing the Le Miz roles ?

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 1/23/05 at 05:40 PM

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#19re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 7:01pm

Les Miz closed, but it wasn't for the same reason Sex and the City went off the air, people!

Mr. Makintosh wanted to close Les Miz because there were many changes he wanted to make. To make these changes he would have to wait for the revival. To revive it, he would have to close the show. And that is what he did.

Cats is another story... (And thank God that thing closed! Talk about Theatre for the Slow and Incomprehensible)

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

Jwaa
#20re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 7:05pm

Maybe othjer people had the same experience as me!!!?
I mean it was good for what it was, it was amaizng infact...but thats not my thing....at all.

They went all excited and ended up sleeping for 3/4's of it and then getting pissed off because the other 1/4 they were being too loud!

Sorry not a fan, just wish it would leave the westend and make room for a show i like....yay.

MissEmilyArden
#21re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 7:05pm

Cats should have closed long before it did. By the end, the audience was full of tourists who didn't really know Broadway. It was tired, there was a chorus member who was in the show for the whole run..... Updated On: 1/23/05 at 07:05 PM

Plum
#22re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 7:08pm

Uh, Justice, I distinctly remember Mackintosh fighting with the owners of the Imperial (the Schuberts, right?) over whether Les Mis should be closed a while before it did end. The argument turned out to be moot because The Boy From Oz was delayed, but it seems to go against what you're saying.

Phantom Chicken
#23re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 7:08pm

I saw it right before it closed fornt row...i enjoyed it...but I don't really understand how it ran so long

Chip1012 Profile Photo
Chip1012
#24re: Why did Les Miz close?
Posted: 1/23/05 at 8:57pm

Shows, no matter how good they are, shouldn't last more than a few years. The broadway houses are very few, and new works must be showcased! Tommy Tune agrees with me, check the Golden Age of Broadway documentary.

Videos