News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Best Composer Ever

RumTumTugger22 Profile Photo
RumTumTugger22
#0Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:20pm

Who do u think is the best broadway composer of all time?

CAGES OR WINGS? WHICH DO YOU PREFER? ASK THE BIRDS. FEAR OR LOVE, BABY? DON'T SAY THE ANSWER, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:21pm

Beethoven

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#2re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:21pm

Do you even have to ask?

It's ****ing Sondheim.

RumTumTugger22
#3re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:22pm

I beleive its a tie between Larson and Sondeheim.

CAGES OR WINGS? WHICH DO YOU PREFER? ASK THE BIRDS. FEAR OR LOVE, BABY? DON'T SAY THE ANSWER, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#4re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:24pm

Larson is great, but he only wrote two shows.

Plum
#5re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:25pm

Oh, come on. Larson doesn't have a large enough body of work to qualify. He might have developed into one of the greats, but you can't compare him with Sondheim as is.

I'l like to submit Kander and Rodgers for consideration. Updated On: 2/11/05 at 05:25 PM

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#6re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:26pm

Sondheim
Bernstein
Kander

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#7re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:26pm

I think a Larson/Sondheim comparison is VERY fair. Jon never got to compose as much as Sondheim, but it's very clear that Jon had just as much talent. So I agree its a toss-up between those two.

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#8re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:28pm

I wouldn't say Larson because although I adore his work, he was only able to really do 2 shows, so I wouldn't say that those two works qualify him to be the BEST composer ever - but I do adore his things.

I don't have one best composer EVER, that's a tough question. Although certainly I enjoy Sondheim's body of work the most, "best" also pertains so many others.

Rodgers and Hammerstein
Sondheim
Leonard Bernstein
Jule Styne, etc.
Jerry Herman
Andrew Lloyd Webber
Irving Berlin
Cole Porter

and on and on...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Plum
#9re: Best Composer Ever

You can't give Larson credit for shows he never wrote, so no, the comparison is not valid. What ifs are nice for speculative purposes, but if you're talking about best Broadway composers ever, I think the candidates need to write more than one show that's been on Broadway.

chess12 Profile Photo
chess12
#10re: Best Composer Ever

Rodgers or Bernstein.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#11re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:38pm

no1 has mentioned Cy Coleman!? GAH!

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

RumTumTugger22
#12re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:38pm

But you have to consider with Larson what he might have done for musical theater. HE had potential to the next sondeheim. And he wrote 3 shows. And one of his shows ahs been on broadway for what 9 years. thats not bad for 2 shows.

Plum
#13re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:39pm

Potential doesn't equal achievement. You can say "what if" about any composer. It doesn't make them actually do it.

How the heck can you compare "show never written" and "show he could have written" to Chicago and Cabaret, for instance? You can't. He didn't write them. It's unfortunate, and probably a loss for Broadway, but it still didn't happen, and saying it could have doesn't make for valid comaprisons. Updated On: 2/11/05 at 05:39 PM

RumTumTugger22
#14re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:40pm

has any other compsoer had a following like Larson?

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#15re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:41pm

Jerry Herman

marincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
#16re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:41pm

Stephen Sondheim-forever
Richard Rodgers-old
Leonard Bernstein-old
Stephen Flaherty-new

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

Plum
#17re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:42pm

I'm pretty sure Sondheim has his own newsletter. I know he has groupies, since I'm one of them. And since when does having a big following make you the best Broadway composer ever?
Sondheim.com Updated On: 2/11/05 at 05:42 PM

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#18re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:43pm

But you have to consider with Larson what he might have done for musical theater.

No, I don't believe you have to consider it at all. As Plum said, you can give someone credit for work they never did. For all we know, if Larson had lived, all his subsequent musicals could have been awful bombs. You can't really call someone the "best composer ever" based on only one complete work.

That said, I'm going to see tick, tick...BOOM! tonight and I'm very excited. re: Best Composer Ever

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
Updated On: 2/11/05 at 05:43 PM

Plum
#19re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:44pm

Oh, and I made a mistake. Sondheim actually has a quarterly magazine devoted to his work, called the Sondheim Review.
The Sondheim Review

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#20re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:51pm

MOZART!!!
Sondheim
Schwartz

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

RumTumTugger22
#21re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:51pm

this just occured to me

What about Menken?

RumTumTugger22
#22re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:52pm

Schwartz not so much Dickon

lvpblues
#23re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 6:05pm

Richard Rodgers
Leonard Bernstein
Stephen Sondheim
Kurt Weill

got-a-light Profile Photo
got-a-light
#24re: Best Composer Ever
Posted: 2/11/05 at 6:39pm

The little work that Jonathan Larson was able to do is so monumental that it could and should hold up to anyone.

Just because someone does more of something dosen't make them better. it's the quality of the work!

and for that my vote without any hesitation goes to...
Jonathan Larson!!!!!!!!! Updated On: 2/11/05 at 06:39 PM

Videos