APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#0APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 4:24am

From a NY Post article:

"March 16, 2005 -- MAYBE she'll do it in cast. Or maybe she'll do it on crutches.

Either way, Christina Applegate is de termined to open on Broadway in 'Sweet Charity' despite her broken foot.

She's told fellow cast members she believes she'll be on the mend in time for the show's April 21 opening in New York.

And she is said to be hurt and upset that her producer, the controversial, shoot-from-the-lip Barry Weissler, was so quick to announce that he'd replaced her with her standby, Charlotte D'Amboise.

'She is absolutely not down for the count,' Ame Van Iden, Applegate's spokeswoman, told The Post yesterday.

'Christina is and always has been a passionate survivor. She's not done yet. In fact, she's already begun physical therapy. She can do everything but jog.'"

I knew Christina wouldn't give up that easily. She has too much riding on this show. Like it or not...it could open a lot of doors for her. Plus the ad campign is centered around her. Above all it's easy to tell she really wants to do this. She's not giving up yet.

The link to the article is below.

Applegate Tough To Core

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 4:29am

go Christina!!!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

#2re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 4:44am

>>"She broke her foot," said one. "This is a dance show. Unless we can get Mel Brooks to come in here and choreograph a number with wheelchairs, she's not going to open on Broadway." <<

I think Im offended.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#3re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 4:46am

All props to Christina! I admire her determination, and I hope she recovers quickly. I love that this is so important to her, and she's not just "cashing in", like many stars who go from film to Broadway. I have gained a lot more respect for her than I ever have in the past. You go, Girl!

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#4re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 5:41am

I'm glad she's determined, I just hope she doesn't try too much too soon...otherwise it'll get worse.

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

ChicagoBwayFan Profile Photo
ChicagoBwayFan
#5re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 7:15am

Chicago Tribune, March 16th

Michael Phillips
Published March 16, 2005

Christina Applegate, the "Sweet Charity" headliner who broke her foot in Friday's performance at the Cadillac Palace Theatre, has been sidelined indefinitely from the Broadway-bound project, it was confirmed Tuesday.

It appears likely that Applegate won't return to the show, if at all, until later this year. Tony Award nominee Charlotte d'Amboise is in Boston rehearsals this week for the third stop of a three-city pre-Broadway tour.

The show's New York future depends on the revival of the 1966 musical finding a warmer welcome on Broadway than it has on the road. Most recently, d'Amboise co-starred in "Chicago" on Broadway.

Two other major changes were made over the weekend: Janine LaManna and Krya Da Costa are replacing Natascia Diaz and Solange Sandy as the Fandango Club taxi dancers.

The show is scheduled to begin New York previews April 4 and open officially April 21.

broadway_star_tomorrow Profile Photo
broadway_star_tomorrow
#6re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 7:17am

applegate....core....

what a HORRIBLE pun.

AKA Idina Pashmina

Type_A_Tiff: There's nothing hard about her. Broadway_star_tomorrow: Yeah. Her arteries.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#7re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 8:42am

I hope Charlotte will get her opportunity to open in New York - maybe the show will actually have someone worth seeing if SHE does it. When I saw the footage on NY1 of Christina doing a number from the show I was appalled - she was dreadful.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

seymour krelborn Profile Photo
seymour krelborn
#8re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 8:49am

Yeah I have nothing against Christina, but Charlotte in Charity would get me to come see it. I think she could bring alot more to the show than Christina would.

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#9re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 9:03am

I'd love to see Applegate open on Broadway and I'm glad she's so determined.

jo
#10re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 9:48am

She may not be the best triple threat, but Christina has the heart of a real trouper!

I wish her speedy recovery and the chance to open "her" show!

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#11re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 9:52am

YAy christina....

*sings christina aguilera's can't hold us down*
"nobody can hold us down...nobody..."

lol

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

Karma76 Profile Photo
Karma76
#12re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 9:56am

I am glad and she rocks I am sorry. I have seen way worse people then her on broadway and in tours (some stars, some working performers) so I think people need to give her a real chance. No one should count her out. It depends on what part of her foot she broke too as to how quickly it can heal. She could be back within the month. she knows the steps....she knows the blocking and songs so all she has to do is work her foot to be able to heal it enough to move on it. They can also wrap her foot to stabalize it so It IS possible. I wish her the best I honestly do.
Updated On: 3/16/05 at 09:56 AM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#13re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 10:14am

Spouzic - Speaking of choreography. I love yours with the hands. Very very cool! Where did you learn that.

Back on topic...I'll keep my fingers crossed for Christina. Don't judge her unless you've actually seen her in the show. She's delightful!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

starlight2
#14re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 10:19am

Mistress, I am also offended, sorry, some people talk before they think, in fact, most people do! Maybe you should write a note to the dork!

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#15re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 11:15am

yay for Christina!!

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#16re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 3:25pm

I knew Christina wouldn't have given up so easily. She definitely has the heart of a trooper, so I'd love to see her make it to Broadway. I mean, that doesn't merit a good performer, but still I hope it works out for her.

Here in Boston, they covered up the "Christina Applegate as..." on the Sweet Charity posters with a banner that says, "Now starring Charlotte D'Amboise from the Broadway company of Chicago" or something to that extent. Anyone see what they've done to the Broadway marquee yet?

~Steven

MargoChanning
#17re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 3:34pm

Applegate was still on the Hirschfeld marquee as of last night.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#18re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 3:34pm

I am actually surprised Reidel didn't come down harder on the show! He seemed actually fair!

The Sweet Charity website still showed Christina all over it as of this morning.

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

#19re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 3:50pm

Mister Matt, I had totally forgotten about dancing at that party we went to! ha! I learned that stuff at a Rave. Some people call that style of dancing Rave too, others call it Liquid.

I wouldnt have been offended if they had just said some new choreography with wheelchairs, but to say Mel Brooks implies that a wheelchair can only be used with humor in choreography and it just isnt true. I know a woman in a wheelchair who runs her own ballet troupe!!

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#20re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 3:54pm

Not only that, shouldn't the reference actually be Susan Stroman?

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

starlight2
#21re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 3:58pm

Speaking of people who do great things Mistress, am still looking forward to the time you can tell us what special project you have been working on! Still wishing you lots of luck on it! And I still say the guy is a dork! lol

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#22re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 4:00pm

Don't feel too bad for her. Things happen for a reason. Perhaps this was not meant to be her Broadway Debut but I am sure her angels are watching out for her and something Miraculous will happen for her because of this.

PEACE.

Joshua488
#23re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 4:28pm

Go Christina! Don't let the producers get you down!

iluvtheatertrash
#24re: APPLEGATE TOUGH TO CORE
Posted: 3/16/05 at 4:38pm

She's got a point in being hurt by what Weissler said. If she's already in physical therapy and can do everything but jog, there's a lot of hope.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Videos