Which LSoH Recording?

CrAzIaBoUtReNt
#0Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 11:44am

Over the weekend I am planning to buy a LSoH CR? Which CD would you recomend, the Revival Recording, The Original Cast Recording, or the Movie Soundtrack? Thanks for your help! Which LSoH Recording?

apdarcey
#1re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 11:45am

the new one with hunter and kerry.

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#2re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 11:46am

The original one with Ellen Greene.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

chenofan Profile Photo
chenofan
#3re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 11:48am

NO question - ORIGINAL. While Kerry is great and sweet in person she is hard to sit through on the recording!

"You look like a Christmas tree with a drinking problem!" - MEMPHIS

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#4re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 11:50am

My suggestion would be the movie soundtrack. It still has Ellen Greene who is amazing, Rick Moranis is surprisingly very vocally adequate as Seymour, and in my opinion, it's worth the price to have Steve Martin's rendition of "Dentist."

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#5re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 12:10pm

i own the revival, simply because i am not big on any of the other singers on the original except ellen greene. I was thinking of getting the movie recording but i wanted the complete show as opposed to the fewer songs/changed ending of the movie. So alas i am hoping to find a music editor of some kind that i can splice ellen over kerry and have the best of both worlds.... speaking of which please PM me if theres any such computer program thats a free download

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

the.hard.part Profile Photo
the.hard.part
#6re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 12:13pm

I'd say revival...its the most complete in my opinion...and well the voices aren't that bad

Phantom487
#7re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 1:33pm

Yeah, the revival CD has ALL teh songs... its the most complete

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#8re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 1:36pm

Kerry/Hunter!

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

#9re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 1:37pm

Definitely go for the revival. Hunter and Kerry are awesome, and though Ellen is a great Audrey, I prefer Kerry.

LilMiZBroADwaY23
#10re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 1:38pm

I looove the movie soundtrack, Ellen is frikkin amazing. I lover her to death.

I would also go for that, or the original.

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
FosseBoi
#12re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 1:50pm

REVIVAL!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#13re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 1:51pm

The movie does have the cut songs, but the changed ending is not reflected in the CD, the songs from the original ending are there, which include the full version of "The Meek Shall Inherit" and "Don't Feed the Plants."

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

renthead2005z Profile Photo
renthead2005z
#14re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 1:52pm

I listen to the revival all the time. I think it is the best.

"Why do we play with fire?-Why do we run our fingers through the flame?"

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#15re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 3:15pm

I love everything about hte Revival EXCEPT Kerry. Ideally, I would have the Revival cast with Ms Ellen Greene, instead of Kerry. I have both :-P

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

#16re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 3:20pm

I liked the new recording... I got it for Christmas... its worth the buy!

insomniak
#17re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 3:23pm

I actually can't stand Ellen Greene, but I love the rest of the original cast, especially Franc Luz's Orin. His 'Dentist!' is perfect, in my opinion.

John Darling Profile Photo
John Darling
#18re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 4:17pm

Definitely the revival. Hunter Foster is awesome, and Kerry Butler is THE BEST. At the risk of being stoned to death, i'm gonna go ahead and say that it's nice to hear Audrey actually sing, rather than moan. I think Ellen Greene was great in the role (if not a little grating on the nerves), but Kerry Butler seemed to just hit home for me. Anyway, definitely go for the revival.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#19re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 4:19pm

In this situation, I would simply buy both, but if that is not an option: Original, original, original!

RentBoy86
#20re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 5:02pm

REVIAL! Hunter Foster rocks...I own all of them and was in a production of LSoH and I prefer the new one.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#21re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 5:03pm

The original - Kerry Butler was terrible in the role - and Ellen Greene is fabulous!

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#22re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 5:16pm

Original, without a doubt. Hunter is wonderful to listen to, but the original has Ellen Greene. Plus, agreeing with insomniak, Franc Luz's "Dentist!" is by far my favorite. I have both the OCR and the revival and listen to both for different things. I don't have the movie's soundtrack, but I'd imagine it must be great as well, since I love the movie. I don't think Hunter Foster's voice shines in the LSoH revival as much as in Urinetown; I got the latter before the former, and was EXTREMELY surprised at how wonderful his voice could be. However, I think the urchins are allowed to shine the most on the revival recording, because they have parts that just aren't in the original (as in "Feed Me") or their parts are more prominent. My best advice is the OCR, though.

playbill_signer_05 Profile Photo
playbill_signer_05
#23re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 5:17pm

Get them all! re: Which LSoH Recording? They really are all fantastic, but if you can get only one I would reccomend the 2003 revival recording. It has all of the songs, and Kerry and Hunter are awesome.

#24re: Which LSoH Recording?
Posted: 3/25/05 at 5:19pm

The Original is the best!
I also liked the movie one too...