pixeltracker

Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?

Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#0Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 9:43am

I've been thinking about myself a lot lately. And I've been doing most of it as I listen to different cast recordings.

And there are two characters that I have learnt so much about myself from. So much about the dangers my obsessive personality, the self-destructiveness of over-analysing things...

These characters are Fosca from Stephen Sondheim's PASSION, and Georges from SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE. So I'm not mad (yet!), but I sometimes think that the way they behave/think has almost been modelled off me.

I can relate to these two characters more than any other characters in Musical Theatre.

Who do YOU relate to?

And please, think hard about this. I've listed honestly, not what I want to be... Updated On: 3/28/05 at 09:43 AM

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#1re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 10:12am

Connect, Doxie, connect...

Charity Hope Valentine. Sometimes I think my love life closed out of town...

LaeloftheLakes Profile Photo
LaeloftheLakes
#2re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 10:13am

Mark from Rent. Sometimes it's creepy. I know it's not what you want to hear, because it's far from your favorite show, but it's true. Although it's mainly true in my relationships with other people. Also, Chelsea and I are SO Maureen and Joanne it's ridiculous.

Wish I could say more, but I'm SO late for class.

"I am special, I am special! Please, God, please, don't let me be normal!" ---Louisa, The Fantasticks
---
---
Intolerant of intolerance.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#3re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 10:29am

out of all the shows i saw in NYC, i sadly most Glinda *JLT's performance* She was really spastic and goofy...and that's just too me. The 15 were all like That's definetly Stephanie *and also my friend Crystal!*
I'd like to be Christine Cogate from DRS...but I'm not that cool

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#4re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 10:40am

Three characters:
1. Ruth Sherwood 20%
2. Kate Monster 70%
3. Tracy Turnblad 10%

Bwaybaby109
#5re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 10:49am

Tracy Turnblad, Mary from Merrily We Roll Along and sometimes Elphaba

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

paradox_error
#6re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 10:57am

Yes, there is a little Green Girl inside every one of us.

I just prefer to lock mine in a cage and only feed her every three days. Defy this, motherf@#ker!

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#7re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 11:14am

Mine is not green, she is a Monster though.
Ha ha.
re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
A very sweet Monster.
re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life? re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life? re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life? Updated On: 3/29/05 at 11:14 AM

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#8re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 11:59am

Boq from Wicked, laugh, I know, but it's true. Except Nessa doesn't even want me.

Chrysanthemum62001
#9re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 12:06pm

I think the character I relate to most, is Millie. Well, her and a little bit of Jon from ttB.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#10re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 12:11pm

Rod from "Avenue Q"-40%
Mama Rose from "Gypsy"-40%
Seymour from "LSOH"-10%
Freddy Benson from "DRS"-10%

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Feodor Sverdlov
#11re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 12:15pm

J. Pierpont Finch

scooter3843

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#12re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 12:18pm

a mix of:
lawrence jameson (DRS)
mr. trevor graydon (millie)
billy flynn (chicago)
princeton (ave q)
j.pierrepont finch (H2$)
guido contini (nine) [so what i'm 21-ish years to young to be him]

and just a touch of gaston (b&tb)

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel
Updated On: 3/28/05 at 12:18 PM

musicalsinger20
#13re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 12:53pm

After seeing Wicked I think that I resemble a mix between Elphaba and Glinda. One of the reasons I was so touched by the show was because the situations happening in the play were happening in my life between my mom and I and our first time in New York. It was one of the most amazing things ever.

Natasha

DestinyBeckoned Profile Photo
DestinyBeckoned
#14re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 12:57pm

I think Kate Monster is really easy for people to relate to, and I know my life is parallel to her little bit in "Sucks to be me." I also sometimes feel like Bobby in Company, especially when he sings "Someone is Waiting." I just keep looking for the perfect guy, even though I know he doesn't exist.

HROK?

actress_06 Profile Photo
actress_06
#15re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 1:17pm

I feel that I'm millie before she got to New york. Big City Girl trapped in a small town, but I'm working on that. Then there is always Elphie. I have never really been accepted for me. There is always a very very small number of ppl who underswtand me, but it's always hard to find them.

Kaija

"Better...Better than What?" -Jo March (Little Women the Musical) "NYC...Up there (In Lights) I'll be." -Star to be (Annie)

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#16re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 1:19pm

princeton.

"I gotta find my purpose!!!!"

maureen.

"POOOOOKIE!!!!!"

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#17re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 1:21pm

Well theatre is the Mirror of Life so it is not suprising that you see yourself in the characters. Sometimes you even find symbolism in a show that wasn't conciously put there or thought about by anyone in the production based on your own life experiences.

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...

paradox_error
#18re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 4:26pm

What characters reflect your flaws, not your good points?

#19re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 4:30pm

Elphaba and Boq are reflectative of my native shy nature and my longing to be by myself but Fiyero and Link Larkin reflect how I feel shallow on the outside yet Im deeper on the inside.
Updated On: 3/28/05 at 04:30 PM

KelRel Profile Photo
KelRel
#20re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 4:39pm

Elphaba because I am kind of reserved, kind of quiet, but I am very passionate about certain things. I can take alot of crap from other people if it is directed at myself, but if you attack my friends and family or children then the little green girl comes out big time. re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life? Also Mark from Rent...I see so many other people living their lives and I am always the one they come to for advice, for guidance, but I don't take the risks that I tell others to take. I can be a coward when it comes to following my dreams...Too bad I can't say Galinda- I'm cute popular and everyone loves me to bits...lol

"All the while making faces like a baby platypus who forget to take some Beano before eating a chimichanga." FindingNamo in reference to Jessica Simpson's singing.

stylinbohemian
#21re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 4:42pm

id have to say kate monster more towards the way she is int he begining of the show...cause im kinda pretty adn pretty damn smart...and i dont have a b/f

and elphie cause hey arent we all deep down green girls with hearts of golds

"If There's One Thing to Learn it's You Just Can't Go Wrong If You Follow Your Heart, and End With A Song"

#22re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 4:43pm

same her kelrel... same here with the elphaba thing

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#23re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 5:58pm

Mrs.Lovett...I really need to work on this whole baking people into pies problem I've got right now. I'm working on it I swear.

But seriously, folks...

Louise in Gypsy. When I'm not onstage I'm pretty shy, plus I tend to get a bit overshadowed by my sister.

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#24re: Characters We Resemble: Does Art Imitate Life?
Posted: 3/28/05 at 6:24pm

i find myself very much in the same position as kate monster in the begginning of q. I also find myself very much like mark in rent. I tend to hide myself in my photos rather than expressing what i want to say. Oh and nice gypsy! Like you i just can't seem to get those damn pies right!

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

Videos