Wicked Fans Only!

mikewood
#0Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/18/05 at 4:55pm

Well, okay not really, obviously anyone can post anywhere....but I'd like to present a hypothetical situation, because OF COURSE none of us would ever violate copyright laws.

So HYPOTHETICALLY if I were to adapt Wicked at a summer camp but needed to pare it down to about 45 minutes to an hour, what songs would you keep and what songs would you cut use a narrator to bridge the gaps for.

What is the essential Wicked and what can be reduced exposition.

I realize some of you hate Wicked, Indina, shoshana, Kristin blah blah blah but I'm curious what songs are the most...ahem POPULAR?

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#1re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/18/05 at 4:59pm

Well, actually, there are no rights to Wicked out yet...but you are allowed to do up to 4 songs for "special occasions". This would probably qualify as one of them, but Schwartz asks that you do not do more than 4 songs per performance.

This is my signature.

mikewood
#2re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/18/05 at 5:02pm

So which four?

BLAH BLAH BLAH

sassypanz
#3re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/18/05 at 5:03pm

Updated On: 10/7/12 at 05:03 PM

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#4re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/18/05 at 5:16pm

couldn't agree more with sassypanz.

And its REALLY nice of Schwartz and the gang to allow up to 4 songs for "special occasions," considering they could be totally iron-fisted about the rights to a show that is going to end up making them incredibly insane amounts of money.

Don't charge admission....

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#5re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/18/05 at 5:19pm

I thought if you didn't charge admission/made absolutely NO profit off of the show, you could do whatever you wanted?

Well, I guess The Wizard and I, Popular, Defying Gravity, For Good.

If you could get a fifth one in, I'd say No Good Deed....Those 4 (or 5) songs basically tell the story...or I'm Not That Girl

mikewood
#6re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/18/05 at 5:23pm

Well, if I hypothetically did this, I would not charge admission.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

MissElphie Profile Photo
MissElphie
#7re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/18/05 at 5:32pm

I agree with The Wizard and I, Popular, Defying Gravity, and For Good. Those are the ones I would pick.

ashley0139
#8re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/18/05 at 5:35pm

I don't think Popular is essential to the story. I think No One Mourns the Wicked is more essential.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

BroadwayDreams2 Profile Photo
BroadwayDreams2
#9re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/18/05 at 5:40pm

I think As Long as You're Mine is pretty essential considering that Elphie and Fiyero's relationship is the reason Galinda wants revenge in the first place. I think it'd have to be The wizard and I, defying gravity, as long as you're mine, and for good. If 5 is possible, then add in Popular since it represents Elphaba and Galinda's newfound friendship.

the girl in 14G
#10re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/18/05 at 5:50pm

Popular, Defying Gravity, The Wizard and I, and For Good

"Me? Give me a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken And I'll conquer the world!"

NYCisHome Profile Photo
NYCisHome
#11re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/18/05 at 6:21pm

I agree with whoever said popular isn't all that important too the story line. I'd go with...

The Wizard and I, Defying Gravity, No Good Deed, and For Good.

Personally, my favorite is As Long as Your Mine, but that also doesn't tell much story. Ah, oh well.

"Every exit is just an entrance to somewhere else."

WickedShopofQ Profile Photo
WickedShopofQ
#12re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/18/05 at 6:55pm

'no one mourns the wicked' is the opening and you need to start strong with a good song. and is says some much story wise. i feel you definatley need that song.
so...
no one mourns the wicked, wiz and i, defy gravity, no good deed(or)as long as your mine, for good

...Please understand that it's still strange and frightning...

xrent_headx Profile Photo
xrent_headx
#13re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/18/05 at 6:58pm

i think popular (bcuz it rox) dancing thru life( jus cuz its a greattt song) defy gravity and what is this feeling or no one mourns the wicked
all though that would mean alot of changing :)

- I might be smart - No day but today

carlobarlo
#14re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/18/05 at 7:20pm

I think the songs you choose should depend on how many people are going to be performing... If you only need to cast three people then more solo songs are great, but if you need a chorus you should probably find songs with chorus in them that forward the story... What about putting certain songs into a medley to forward the story???

DefyingPopular
#15re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/18/05 at 7:25pm

if you're using a lot of people u need to have group songs, so what about 'one short day', that can incorporate a lot of people.. no one mourns the wicked is sorta depressing.. and not the greatest idea for children...

defying gravity is a good choice, however it's 2 people....

u can make different ppl do 'glinda' and do popular and for good.. u can have a mixture of ppl as the roles.....

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#16re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/18/05 at 9:14pm

Why don't you do...

What is This Feeling - Elphaba, Glinda, Ensemble
Dancing Through Life - Elphaba, Nessa, Boq, Glinda, Fiyero, Ensemble
Thank Goodness - Glinda, Morrible, Ensemble (with solos)
For Good - Elphaba, Glinda

if you have to incorporate a lot of people

If you're mainly focusing on solos...

Defying Gravity - Elphaba, Glinda, Soldiers, Morrible
For Good - Elphaba, Glinda
What Is This Feeling - Elphaba, Glinda, Ensemble
As Long As Your Mine - Fiyero, Elphaba

This is my signature.

Derek
#17re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/18/05 at 11:01pm

well....

The Wizard and I
Dancing Through Life - Gets pretty much everyone in (Fiyero, Nessa, Glinda...)
Popular
Defying Gravity
For Good

coin toss between The Wizard and I and No Good Deed

RockyRoad Profile Photo
RockyRoad
#18re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/19/05 at 12:26am

"I thought if you didn't charge admission/made absolutely NO profit off of the show, you could do whatever you wanted? "

Did someone really say that?

IdreamofRENT
#19re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/19/05 at 2:08am

wow this is hard...I would say...
1) The Wizard and I...to explain Elphaba's admiration of the wizard.
2) Defying Gravity....explaining how she discovers the true wizard and decides to leave...AND THIS SONG ROCKS AND IS SO POWERFUL!
3)As Long As You're Mine...personally because I always love a good love story and love song. Its what really sucks me in. And its just a good song overall.
4)For Good....my favorite song. Tying it all up and showing Elphaba's and Glinda's friendship that no one ever knew about

Good luck with this, seriouslly, i think it is an AWESOME idea!!! If u want anymore advice u can AIM me: iNoWatStreetImOn
byeee!

Swiftynifty15
#20re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:23am

I would go with The Wizard and I, Popular, Defying Gravity, For Good. About the Aslong as your mine comment- I think it is a great song but if someone is allowed only four songs,I odn't think it would make sence. As long as your mine goes very deep into the story, and Fiyero isn't included in any of the other song choices people were considering. What about No one mourns the Wicked, and Dancing through Life is long and you might beable to understand some of the story.

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#21re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/19/05 at 6:47am

if you are just allowed to do 4 songs, then you can't tell the story anyway. so choose the 4 that fit your performers' talents.

RIP glebby <3

Flyinghighdefygrav
#22re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/19/05 at 7:16pm

do u really have to only choose 4? i mean ur not chrgin admission. If u chrge then i can c that. but ur not

XOsweet_dancerOX Profile Photo
XOsweet_dancerOX
#23re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/19/05 at 7:27pm

hmmm my top four would have to be Popular, Defying Gravity, For Good, and No Good Deed. definetly sounds good.

Kristin Chenoweth could barely control a Great Dane she trotted onto the stage. "Great, they gave me a dog that weighs five times what I do", she quipped. For the record, she weighs 93 pounds, and has a Maltese.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#24re: Wicked Fans Only!
Posted: 4/19/05 at 8:15pm

But even 4 songs is generous. I wouldn't charge anyway. It's not like they're gonna hunt you down and charge you for some legal crap [that is beyond me, I might say], but still...My conciounscunjeosnef,asm would be all over me.

This is my signature.
Updated On: 4/19/05 at 08:15 PM

Videos