Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!

sallyfan101 Profile Photo
sallyfan101
#0Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/26/05 at 1:38pm

Did anybody watch it on shotime ? I wish they would do a revival for that show.

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#1re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/26/05 at 1:44pm

The movie was adapted from the stage musical version of Reefer Madness, right?

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#2re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/26/05 at 1:51pm

I hate Amy Spanger.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#3re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/26/05 at 1:54pm

It was NOT written for Showtime. It was an off-Broadway show in 2001 that played Los Angeles before that.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#4re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/26/05 at 1:55pm

I love Amy Spanger, I think she's sensational.

Beav: My Musical Theatre History teacher said before the original film, it WAS a stage show. Just becuase it was never on Broadway doesn't mean it didn't exist somewhere...which he swears it did, because he saw it.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

DTBG2
#5re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/26/05 at 2:07pm

Saw it on SHOtime, and was bored out of my mind...

The best song is Ana's "The Stuff"....loved that scene and only that scene...or should i say number instead of scene...bla.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#6re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/26/05 at 2:08pm

It was an off-broadway musical first.
Link

PEACE.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#7re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/26/05 at 2:09pm

Beaver - it started out in a basement (And yes, it was a musical), and after a few years, moved to an Off-Broadway theatre the day after Sept. 11 2001, and closed shortly after. Christian Campbell has played Bobby in every single production of Reefer Madness.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

DTBG2
#8re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/26/05 at 2:10pm

All the Gore towards the end of the film was amusing...i must add to my above statement..

#9re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/26/05 at 4:09pm

Here's the deal. Reefer Madness, the Musical was done at the Hudson Theatre in LA - hardly a "basement" theatre - although it is a 99 seater it is very very nice. . It ran for a long time. Both Christian Campbell and Robert Torti (from the LA production) were in the showtime production. Choreography was originally by Paula Abdul. It opened and closed in NYC shortly after 9/11. I know what I'm talking about 'cause I saw it and loved it in LA. I was shocked it didn't do well in NYC. The trailer for it shown on Showtime shows some scenes of the LA production and gives the whole background.

Chrysanthemum62001
#10re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/26/05 at 5:20pm

This is once in my life where I HATED not having a television. How was Alan Cumming?

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#11re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/26/05 at 5:21pm

This is a clip from Broadway.com...Seems the movie is really similar to the play

Broadway.com Reefer madness video

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space
Updated On: 4/26/05 at 05:21 PM

Joshua488
#12re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/26/05 at 5:25pm

The off-Broadway production featured Jennifer Gambatese in the ensemble and the understudy for Kristen Bell's character Mary.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#13re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/26/05 at 5:33pm

I'm not sure how similar it is. I saw the LA production and I loved it. but the movie had a few songs that the LA production didn't have nor does the LA CD. but then the movie also cut songs that I'm not sure were in the New York version as I can't find a song list for the NY run... it's rather confusing...

obviously they made changes from LA to New York and the movie reflected those changes. But I don't know what these changes were and then what additional changes were made for the film... these songs are additional songs that were in the movie and not in the LA production:

"Lonely Pew"
"Mary Jane/Mary Lane"
"The Brownie Song"
"Murder"
"Tell Em the Truth"

I don't know if any of these songs were in the NY version.

and these songs were in the LA version and CUT from the film:

"Dead Old Man"
"Act One Finale"
"Jimmy on the Lam"
"The Monkey Song"
"Lullaby"
"The Trial"
"Listen to Jesus Jimmy" (reprise)
"We Know Best"

"Dead Old Man" is my favorite song and I was really disappointed that it was cut from the film... Updated On: 4/26/05 at 05:33 PM

sallyfan101
#14re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/29/05 at 7:04pm

He was good I guess. He sorta freaked me out when he was the goat man.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#15re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/29/05 at 7:36pm

Folks, the show did NOT start in a basement. It premiered at the Hudson Backstage Theatre in Hollywood, CA. Paula Abdul choreographed the Off B-Way version

The show opened off Broadway right before 9/11.

I hope they do bring it back.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
Updated On: 4/29/05 at 07:36 PM

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#16re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/29/05 at 9:52pm

CatsNYrevival- Those songs were indeed in the NY Production. I liked the movie, love Amy SPanger, and after watching it love her and Kristen Bell even more. There were some slow parts for me but overall I liked it very much.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#17re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/29/05 at 10:16pm

re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!

There's a recording, too.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

DTBG2
#18re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/29/05 at 10:21pm

when i look at that cd cover, sweeney todd comes to mind.

apdarcey
#19re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/29/05 at 10:34pm

it's on repeat tonight on showtime at midnight. you're welcome!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#20re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/29/05 at 11:21pm

definitely get the LA CD. as I stated above "Dead Old Man" is my favorite song and it was cut from the film so check out the LA CD for all the cut songs... except it doesn't have the New York songs or "Mary Jane/Mary Lane" which was written for the film...

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#21re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/30/05 at 3:49pm

I hope they release it on DVD.

I enjoyed it.
Ana Gastyer needs to do Off-Broadway or Broadway.
I wish I could have gone to Joe's Pub last weekend.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#22re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/30/05 at 4:19pm

Well, she's starring as Elphaba in Chicago's WICKED

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

sallyfan101
#23re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 4/30/05 at 6:11pm

My friend likes the song Little Mary Sunshine.I really don't know which one is my favorite.

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
#24re: Reefer Madness !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/4/05 at 5:06pm

I am really enjoying this... I'm in the middle of my third viewing. The camp is delightful. :)

Hamlet's father.

Videos