pixeltracker

GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????

GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#0GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/29/05 at 5:29pm

I'm trying to figure out which recording I should get of GODSPELL and there are a few out there. Which should I get ?

Facebook...ME !!!

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#1re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/29/05 at 5:33pm

I own a few and my favorite is the 2000 off broadway cast...there are some extra tracks and the people on it are great :)

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#2re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/29/05 at 5:52pm

Ditto meagans answer

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#3re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/29/05 at 5:55pm

Whose in the 2000 off-Broadway Cast?

Wasnt Shoshana in that cast?

Facebook...ME !!!

MissNY
#4re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/29/05 at 6:25pm

I also love the 2000 Off Broadway cast recording. Shoshana Bean is in it and so is Barrett Foa

DestinyBeckoned Profile Photo
DestinyBeckoned
#5re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/29/05 at 6:36pm

I only have the movie soundtrack, but thats because I wasn't specific on my Christmas list two years ago. But I think if I were to get another recording, I'd go for the 2000.

HROK?

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#6re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/29/05 at 6:51pm

definitely go with the 2000 Off b'way...it sounds the most rock-ish and the cast is in top form. The 2001 recording has nifty orchestrations, but the cast has little enthusiasm, and the original recordings and movie recordings are well-sung, but sound extremely dated. All have their moments, but 2000 is easily my favorite.

QtKt Profile Photo
QtKt
#7re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/29/05 at 6:54pm

Definately 2000.
What an amazing cast.
Incredible recording.
Definately my favorite.

Parks
#8re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/29/05 at 7:57pm

While I enjoyed 2000 Off-B'way cast, there were a lot of songs that simply didn't do it for me. I will say that, of course, there are songs on 2000 that are better than 2001. 2001 kinda sounds like an N'Sync concert. Nothing wrong with it, but 2000 sounds more intimate. I'd say 2001 just because the sound is really good and I like the new orchestrations. Beautiful City is WAY better on 2001 also. Seems like a totally different song.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#9re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/29/05 at 8:07pm

get the one with Barrett Foa!!! re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#10re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/29/05 at 9:39pm

2000 off-Broadway

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#11re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/29/05 at 9:56pm

re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????

This is the one y'all mean, right?

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

KristiAnn85 Profile Photo
KristiAnn85
#12re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/29/05 at 9:56pm

I second the 2000 off-broadway. I recently vocal directed this show at my church, and we used the movie recording as our guide (director's choice, not mine). It was ok, but the kids didn't get into it as much, cause the recording was not so enthusiastic. I haven't heard the 2001 recording...my vote is the 2000 off broadway...

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#13re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/29/05 at 10:02pm

If you want to go for the "new contemporary sound" of Godspell, definitely go for the 2000 cast. However, if you want a feel for the original Godspell the way it was meant to be, get the movie soundtrack or the original cast recording (you'll have to deal with Lamar Alford on the latter recording, who, though he has a beautiful voice, does tend to overdo his vocals and drown people out).

Chote887 Profile Photo
Chote887
#14re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/29/05 at 11:30pm

I'd vote for the 1973 recording...

Feathah Profile Photo
Feathah
#15re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/30/05 at 12:35am

2000 Off-Bway and the Original!

"The theater is my life. I live it. I breathe it. I fondle it till it falls asleep." Jack (Will And Grace) http://feathah.blogspot.com

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#16re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/30/05 at 12:39am

offbway:2000 :)

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#17re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/30/05 at 12:57am

I'd go with the original 1971 Cherry Lane cast recording. The band is fierce and the show doesn't sound as polished as it does in 2000 and 2001 and with Godspell, I like that kinda 'un-perfect' sound. Just my opinion.

Actually, I think the score sounded its best in the 1973 motion picture soundtrack recording. I'll take the fabulous, late Lynne Thigpen's "Oh Bless The Lord" anyday over Shoshana's....

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

RentBoy86
#18re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/30/05 at 1:30am

Not sure which one I have, is the picture shown the 2000 off broadway cast? I liked it at first, but then we i actually listened to it, it just didn't really grab me. I think its the show that didn't grab me, not the cast, as there are def. some amazing cast memebers. I usually like schwartz's work, but not this one. Maybe it takes a couple listenings.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#19re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/30/05 at 1:45am

There are 3 you should have.
The OBC
The OMS
and the 2000 Cast.
This way you can hear the differences in the way these songs are done. All of them have very good moments.
OBC's "We Beseech Thee" is the best
OMS has Lynn Thigpen, and a great rendition of "Turn Back O' Man", as well as a haunting "By My Side", unheard on any other recording...
and the 2000 Cast has updated the music, and made great songs out of Light of the World and We Beseech Thee.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

XOsweet_dancerOX Profile Photo
XOsweet_dancerOX
#20re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/30/05 at 2:54pm

yeah i was in that show directed by KristiAnn85 and she is right. I got the 2000 Off Bway recording and I love it! It's really fantastic!

Kristin Chenoweth could barely control a Great Dane she trotted onto the stage. "Great, they gave me a dog that weighs five times what I do", she quipped. For the record, she weighs 93 pounds, and has a Maltese.

Che2be Profile Photo
Che2be
#21re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/30/05 at 3:04pm

I just bought the 2000 offbway cast off Amazon. I bought it because of Shoshana and Mr. Foa. What a great cast.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#22re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/30/05 at 8:36pm

I've just been listening to the 2001 National Touring Cast Recording. While I hate some of the arrangements with a passion, the cast has a lot of heart and Sal Sabella's rendering of "All Good Gifts" may be the finest available on disc.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#23re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 4/30/05 at 9:29pm

Get the 2000 off-broadway recording. It is by far the best in my opinion.

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#24re: GODSPELL...which recording should I get ????
Posted: 5/1/05 at 11:43pm

I tried to get the 2000-Off Broadway Cast Cd but it was gone when I tried to get it today. I almost bought the 2001 Broadway Revival one but when I listened to it, it sounded like POP had been added to it.....sooooooo.....I went and got the OCR of it and when I listened to it when I got home I enjoyed it alot...the music is good listened to it twice all the wa through and I enjoyed it.

Did I make a good decision?

Facebook...ME !!!

Videos