pixeltracker

Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?

Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?

#0Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 2:15am

First let me say that I have greatly enjoyed reading your comments on the works of Boubil and Schoenberg. Glad to be a part of this community - I think this is my 2nd or third post...

I would like to know if anyone has read or heard about this dynamic pair's future plans. Are they working on anything new?

Whatever happened to the Les Mis movie? I remember reading in a theater program for the 1991 touring cast that a movie was planned to be released in 1994...well, obviously THAT never happened...

They have created some of the most memorable and dynamic scores and scenes of musical theater's last 25 years...I would love to see more from them.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#1re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 2:22am

Well, both Miss Saigon and Martin Guerre were pretty terrible, let's hope whatever they do it isn't full of "power ballads"!.

apdarcey
#2re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 2:51am

miss saigon is not terrible.. it is one of the greatest scores ever written.

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#3re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 2:57am

Terrible? No way! I love the music from both!

I have a program also that advertised the movie musical of Les Miserables. It showed Cossette holding 2 movie tickets. With the Caption "In 1992 she will be going to the movies." On the bottom it noted to be produced by Tri-Star and Colombia pictures.

Come on producers! Lets do this one !

I too would like to know if anyone knows what B & S are up to. Do they still write for the theater? If so, what are they writing? Heck, are they still a team? Anyone know?

Adam
Updated On: 5/14/05 at 02:57 AM

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#4re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 3:25am

Oh, I think Miss Saigon is sublime. And there is much of the 1999 Martin Guerre that I loved, too.

I wish they would write a new show!

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#5re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 3:27am

Miss Saigon=tiresome. You are better off seeing Madame Butterfly.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#6re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 3:29am

Well, then go see Madame Butterfly. Have a blast. We GOT that you hate Miss Saigon.

apdarcey
#7re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 3:29am

i prefer miss saigon to madame butterfly... i find the latter tiresome..

mother cabrini Profile Photo
mother cabrini
#8re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 4:21am

boubil and schoenberg, whats next? hopefully .....NOTHING....talk about depressing shows....give me a hairspray or a producers anyday...if you are after musicals with a frech flavour try amour or les parapluie des cherbourg

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#9re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 5:39am

Add me to the very big fans of this wonderful duo ! Actually I was thinking about them after seeing Les Mis again in London last week ! What a shame that they probably called it quits, both Les Mis ans Miss Saigon were fantastic and they could add so much more to a musical theater full of jukebox musicals nowadays !
Updated On: 5/14/05 at 05:39 AM

phantom_tenor Profile Photo
phantom_tenor
#10re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 6:37am

"i prefer miss saigon to madame butterfly... i find the latter tiresome.."

Madame Butterfly represents musical drama in its most sublime form. The score is easily 10 times that of miss saigon, and the libretto has none of the shallowness or mere crapness of miss saigon.
They tried too hard to do something as good as les mis, and ended up with what is possibly the most pretentious piece of musical theatre ever produced.

riv
#11re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 9:29am

Perhaps someone could mount their first musical, La Revolution Francaise. I don't believe it's ever been done in English.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#12re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 10:14am

I'm actually surprised nobody has posted this already, but the team of Boubil and Schoenberg is no more. They apparently had a big falling out during MARTING GUERRE which basically ended their friendship and their creative partnership.

Too bad because I think musically they wrote some compelling stuff. Maybe at some point they'll reconcile.

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#13re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 10:18am

I definetly liked the music in Miss Saigon, but the concept always annoyed me. A musical based off another musical? I certainly want to see more out of these two, just maybe with more creative story lines.

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

ashley0139
#14re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 11:13am

I adore Les Miz and Miss Saigon. And gypsy, that's what Rent is as well, a musical based off another musical.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

CostumeMistress Profile Photo
CostumeMistress
#15.
Posted: 5/14/05 at 11:27am

Avatar - Isaac, my blue-fronted Amazon parrot. Adopted 9/7/07. Age 30 (my pet is older than me!)
Updated On: 2/7/06 at 11:27 AM

gavrochegirl
#16re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 11:44am

Come on...Miss Saigon is great! You can't really pan it...

What the puck?!

Jazzysuite82
#17re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 11:45am

I for one can't stand their poppy power ballads. I'm glad they seperated, maybe they'll grow in other directions artistically and I'll like them. Les Mis and Miss Saigon are ok. Saigon is full of problems and the music isn't very exciting. Martin Guerre just sucks. I'd take Webber...well some of it, before I listened to one of their shows. However I'd rather listen to something good.

Dr. Jaykll Profile Photo
Dr. Jaykll
#18re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 12:58pm

Here's a link to information on their next show:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/10/15/business/wbriver.html

You have to scroll through a bit to get to the news about the show. It's about the life of Grace O'Malley - the famed female pirate who took on the English at sea. It's called the "Pirate Queen" and will have its premiere in Dublin in '06.

You can also google "Boublil" and "Pirate Queen" to get more info.

riv
#19re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 1:02pm

Thanks for the Pirate Queen info! Very interesting.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#20re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 2:46pm

oooh!

#21re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 2:56pm

Hmmm. I always find it humourous when poeple say ohoh they split up due to a show or they are no longer working together when LOW AND BEHOLD.. there it is.. Another show.

I wish them the best. I dont really enjoy the MG score as much as the others but it is still better then some of this other stuff.

futurewinnerbud
#22re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 3:14pm

I've met many people who have absolutely hated Miss Saigon and Les Meserables. I feel like these scores can be brilliant... with the correct people. The London cast of Miss Saigon... HOLY CRAP THERE AMAZING! But everytime I meet someone who hates Miss Saigon, they susally say "well I bought the broadway recording... what a waste of money". I burn them the london cast, and in about 5 days they come up to me and say its the best musical EVER. Same with Les Meserables. Original London- meh... Original Broadway- meh... all star philharmonic recording- BRILLIANT!... I'd say, explore the recorded options of these musicals before passing judgement on them. -Brian

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#23re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 4:35pm

The London cast of Miss Saigon... HOLY CRAP THERE AMAZING! But everytime I meet someone who hates Miss Saigon, they susally say "well I bought the broadway recording... what a waste of money". I burn them the london cast, and in about 5 days they come up to me and say its the best musical EVER.

There was actually no Broadway recording for MISS SAIGON, but I get your point. The Boublil/Schonberg scores shine with the right people.

I don't quite understand the contempt for Boublil & Schonberg, because I find their music absolutely sublime. For those who find the scores to LES MIZ and MISS SAIGON similar, I counter them by saying that most of Sondheim (whom I love) also sounds similar; it's just the musical style of the composer. Schonberg composes lush, majestic and unapologetically romantic music. Certainly he has a better grasp of melody and theatricality than Andrew Lloyd Webber (I still stand by the opinion that most songs from PHANTOM are dramatically superfluous).

I, for one, can't wait to see how the PIRATE QUEEN project turns out, but I recognize that unfortunately Broadway has changed yet again and probably doesn't embrace their type of operatic and melodramatic musical anymore.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#24re: Boubil & Schoenberg: What's next?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 4:47pm

My favorite combo EVER (obviously)

I hope they do something and do it soon!

Videos