pixeltracker

Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?

Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?

Whiteguy2088 Profile Photo
Whiteguy2088
#0Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 12:32am

With A Chorus Line coming...and it's expected huge revival. What musicals would you like to bring back and think would be a big hit?

Personally: City of Angels or Once on this Island. Loves both and I think both could really do well given the right cast and direction.

edenespinosalover Profile Photo
edenespinosalover
#1re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 12:35am

Violet, Side Show, Parade, Ragtime or Taboo

Whiteguy2088
#2re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 12:37am

oo Ragtime :) A little soon though probabally?

apdarcey
#3re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 12:37am

i agree about once on this island. it's too soon but i really want ragtime in the london staging. if only paper mill's would transfer... realistically i would like a revival of sunday in the park with george and definitely pippin.

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#4re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 12:49am

"oo Ragtime :) A little soon though probabally?"

It's never too soon for "Ragtime"! If I had it my way, that show would still be running.

jam_man
#5re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 1:00am

I love Ragtime, but give it some time - it WILL be back one day.

As for other shows, how about A Little Night Music? That's supposedly in the works, but it's been like that for a few years now - HURRY UP!

And as for more obscure (by relation), how about The Mystery of Edwin Drood? George Hearn for Chairman, Chenoweth as Rosa, and Hugh Jackman as Jasper (God, what I'd do to be in one of their rows!). I mentioned that for a possible 2005 Actor's Fund show, but I don't care how it gets done, just do it (as long as I get to see it!)!

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#6re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 1:07am

Evita, Once On This Island, Jekyll and Hyde, Ragtime, AIDA (wink wink Emcee)

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

Whiteguy2088
#7re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 1:12am

I was pissed i never got to see Aida...I am still bitter that it left - It had a long life ahead

Jazzysuite82
#8re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 1:12am

If it was on or revived in the past 20 years, it's way too soon. The thing that annoys me about revivals is that the only reason to do them is to either do something new with it, or show a piece that most people haven't seen much of. A Chorus line ran waay to long to try to do a revival this soon and it sounds like it's gonna be a carbon copy of the original with all the staging. I'm wondering what's the point. Tell all the Chorus line fans to get out their bootlegs and watch them. I'd rather see a musical like Cabin in the Sky or Fiorello! or One TOuch of Venus. Shows most people have never heard of.

Tirso de Molina
#9re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 1:22am

i'd love to see a high-quality revival of KISMET, preferably with Brian Stokes Mitchell in the lead, Hugh Panaro as the Caliph, and Patti LuPone as Lalume!

sadly, however, I can't deny that a musical with lyrics like "Baghdad, you must investigate Baghdad" would be tricky at this moment in history!

"Sweet summer evenings, hot wine and bread / Sharing your supper, sharing your bed / Simple joys have a simple voice: It says why not go ahead?"

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#10re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 1:22am

Well West Side Story would be #1 but it should be coming in about 2 years hopefully.

My Fair Lady perhaps would be cool to see on stage, as would Camelot.

Ooh and especially Finian's Rainbow, my mom loved that show but it's very difficult to revive, I'd love it if they were able to do that.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

FosseBoi
#11re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 1:26am

Well, heres my thing wih revivals: Its great for ppl like me, who didnt get to see the original run and REALLY wanted to, if they make it like the original. However, if a show is revived, it needs to be different, AT LEAST to a certin degree. A CHORUS LINE, well, as long as I get to star in it, and its a lot like the original, I'll be fine!re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?

Btw, whiteguy, I'm REALLY pissed that I didnt get to see AIDA to! I SERIOUSLY get teary thinking about it!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

Jazzysuite82
#12re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 1:44am

If you wanna see these productions, they're sitting at the Lincoln Center video archives. Just say you're doing a project for it or something. You can view the original there, but live? It's time for new work or not very often seen work. Oh yeah and GOOD work.

badkarma719 Profile Photo
badkarma719
#13re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 1:51am

a black version of Music Man

Hey they did it with Hello Dolly
y not Music man

yes I know it too early but it would be so much fun

In the words of the great MargoChanning "Broadwayworld.com -- Your One Stop on the Internet for All Things Broadway, Nasty Political Discussions, Meltdowns, Name-Calling and General Nonsense along with being a Premiere Pick-up Joint for Hotties, Shut-ins, Rambunctuous Teenagers With Bad Grammar, and All Manner of Bitter, Jaded Theatre Queens with WAY Too Much Time on Their Hands"?

Jazzysuite82
#14re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 1:56am

I'd love to see a regional production of an all Black Gypsy starring TOnya Pinkins...that would be fierce. Hey they can call Anika again too.

FosseBoi
#15re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 2:02am

Dont forget the all black GUYS AND DOLLS!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

jett ford
#16re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 3:10am

I'd love to see a really fierce production of "Oliver" make it back here. I have to say I'm kind of excited about the upcoming "Chorus Line". The original cast was so unique and gritty, I hope they don't play it safe with the casting, as seems to be the case so often nowadays. Anyone agree?

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#17re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 3:48am

What I would like to see is a company based on Broadway doing first class revivals of classic shows for limited runs of 8-12 weeks then sending them out on tours or major cities. It could be a great way to introduce new talent and teach younger performers and audience members about the classic shows. Shows would have to have been absent from Broadway/touring circcuits for at least 10 yeasr to be considered. This is not for major revisals although minor trims and changes would be all right.

BRIGADOON - originally produced in 1947. Last Broadway revival: 1980. No recent tours.

KISMET - originally produced in 1953. Last Broadway revival - 1965 at Lincoln Center, 1988 NYCO. No recent tours.

FUNNY GIRL - originally produced in 1964. No Broadway revivals, No recent tours.

MAME - originally produced in 1966. Last Broadway revival - 1984. No recent tours.

PROMISES PROMISES - originally produced in 1968. No Broadway revivals. No recent tours.

I LOVE MY WIFE - originally produced in 1977. No Broadway revivals. No recent tours.

THE RINK - originally produced in 1984. No revivals/tours.

GRAND HOTEL - originally produced in 1989. Never revived on Broadway. No recent tours.

THE GOODBYE GIRL - originally produced in 1993. No revival. No tour.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Flight0017 Profile Photo
Flight0017
#18re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 4:00am

SUNSET BOULEVARD (it's bound to happen, but maybe we'll have to wait a little while)

CARRIE - oh, this would be so sweet. Give it a new staging, fix up some of the songs, remove "Do me a favor", and write a couple of new ones, and you're good to go!

SIDE SHOW - no explanation needed!

"Curse you, Lady Glyde!"

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#19re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 4:20am

I would LOVE to see a re-tooled version of Camelot. the script needs some tightening here and there, and I would want Bob Crowely to do the sets.

Akiva

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#20re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 9:36am

Violet
Side Show
Parade
A New Brain
The Last Five Years

DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES!!! :: tears ::

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#21re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 9:42am

How about Chu Chin Chow or La La Lucille?

Seriously though I think frontrowcentre2 has the right idea.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#22re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 9:48am

Jekyl & Hyde

But done right, new set, different structure (more like either the German Productions or the double CD. and played out like a good old fashioned period musical, not the "want to be period piece" as the original broadway production was, what a crappy set.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

crp2000 Profile Photo
crp2000
#23re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 10:29am

AIDA - with Heather or Deborah...and Idina back as Amneris.

Caroline, or Change - with the original cast.

DreamGirls - all new cast (and no American Idols!!)

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#24re: Past Musical You Would Love to see a Revival of?
Posted: 5/18/05 at 10:34am

<====Carrie
Promises, Promises
Once on this Island
Side Show
Canterbury Tales - very dated, but I love it!

#1 pick - A Little Night Music

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Videos