Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY- Page 3

Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#51re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 12:32am

Hey yarn769.... i understand why people are thinking this might be a catastrophe...after all DG is not an easy song...and for a guy! However, if your confident you can pull it off, then great! That's awesome!

Reading your original thread I can tell you were just trying to share your excitement with others. So keep your chin up! If you got the ok from the musical director then pay no attention to the nay sayers. In this type of buisness you have to have thick skin 'cause everyone has something to say. Good or bad.

Good luck on your song! ...and congradulations on your diploma.
:)

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#52re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 12:36am

I know you were also annoyed by some of the comments others made, but you may want to retract/rethink some of the religious comments...as it doesn't help your case.

Again, good luck!

Adam

Updated On: 5/24/05 at 12:36 AM

TheColorOfFlame
#53re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 1:49am

I just don't understand why people don't know that Wicked is over. OVER. Like it's just not okay to sing the songs from it in public anymore. You know? It's played out. It's embarrassing when my friends sing it on the subway. It was okay when the show was in previews, it was even okay for the first few weeks after the album came out. But now it's the equivalent of writing UNTALENTED TWINK MUSICAL THEATRE STUDENT on your forehead in Sharpie.

Augh. Sorry. Maybe that's just here.

It is still okay to make fun of it, though. Especially if you secretly love it (like me, but I am NOT about to tell anyone).

"I am the sound of distant thunder, the color of flame." CARRIE the Musical

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#54re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 1:56am

I have to say though if people walked around with UNTALENTED TWINK MUSICAL THEATRE STUDENT written on their foreheads the world would be a much funnier place... and WICKED is over I have to agree with that. it's all about spamalot right now... I dunno why, but it is...

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#55re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 2:20am

HAHAHA....Wait just a sec....Did I read towards the beginning of this thread that you're a guy, who's singing "Defying Gravity", and had to have it lowered for your voice? Okay now think about this.....If you were to sing the song in its original key, only an octave lower, in your male range, it's already pretty low. If you had to have the song, which is already quite low for a guy anyways, lowered even more.....Do you really think that this is the right song for you? I don't mean to say that you shouldn't do it or anything, but hey, it's just food for thought!

See Ya!

Phantom05

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"

Practically Perfect Profile Photo
Practically Perfect
#56re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 3:07am

I don't care what anyone else says - enjoy yourself, and good luck with it. I'm sure you'll 'kick ass.'

Mary P x

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#57re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 9:07am

First of all, on the second page of this thread, someone thought it would be "funny" to sarcastically insult the way I look. Why? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Not a damn thing. And, secondly, since men are singing "Defying Gravity," I'd like to request "Maybe This Time," "Rose's Turn," "One Boy," "Don't Rain on My Parade," and "Lot's Wife," just for shi*t's and giggles. I do, however, have to disagree with "Wicked" being "over." It's still making over a million dollars a week. Is that really "over"?

-Vincent

mikewood
#58re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 9:20am

Congrats and enjoy.

Pardon the expression but...don't let anyone bring you down.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

mikewood
#59re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 9:22am

People call me "mean".

BLAH BLAH BLAH

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#60re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 9:27am

"I do, however, have to disagree with "Wicked" being "over." It's still making over a million dollars a week. Is that really "over"? "

Yes, well there were about 4 remixes of "The Thong Song" but it was "over" before the 1st remix was out.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

mikewood
#61re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 9:29am

If you think Wicked is over, try to get tickets for June. re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY

BLAH BLAH BLAH

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#62re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 9:38am

re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY

Well wheter its over or not, it still making money isn't an indicator IMO.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#63re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 10:34am

i kinda feel like DG can't be easily taken out of context. like, if the girl singing it doesn't have green skin, a witch hat, and a contraption to make her fly, then i'm kinda upset. if you can sing the song then congrats, it is very hard. have a good time, i'm sure it will be fine.

Hoof
#64re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 11:16am

Hoof says: HAHAHAHA

Ok ok, I'm done. Really, I got it out of my system. . .

HAHAHAHAHA!

Hoof
#65re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 11:16am

Don't make me start again.

[Edit: My comp sucks with these multi clicks. I hate broken laptops].
Updated On: 5/24/05 at 11:16 AM

theatreboi11
#66re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 11:48am

I really wish choirs would stop singing Wicked. I feel it can not be done correctly by amature singers. I saw a "Broadway Review" done by high schoolers and they sang Defying Gravity. I applaud the attempt but shudder at the outcome. The music is hard and I feel many more musicals would be accomplished better by high school singers. Sorry kids, should be looking for other show choir selections!

But congrats on the partre: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

TheColorOfFlame
#67re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 1:11pm

It's not over for America. It's over for theatre-savvy people my age in New York. CATS and TGIF know.

"I am the sound of distant thunder, the color of flame." CARRIE the Musical
Updated On: 5/24/05 at 01:11 PM

#68re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 1:29pm

Hey Color of Flame, can you make a list of the stuff that's "Over" so we don't embarrass ourselves listening to something that you've declared over? Cause, you know, we all take direction from someone with a "Last Five Years" icon telling us what the current theater scene is all about.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#69re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 4:12pm

Guys come on stop provoking him. He's only to easily baited, you guys need someone a little bit more worthy of putting up a fight. I say he should sing it and learn for himself what works and what doesn't. That is the theatrical experience. If it goes great for him then you guys will be known as the naysayers who held him back. If it goes poorly you are known as the naysayers who held him back.

Either way you guys are going to be known in light that I know you're above. Especially you Cats. I'm not one to throw the first stone but I think enough have been thrown.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

LittleBitRacist Profile Photo
LittleBitRacist
#70re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 7:15pm

i agree with he person who said they have a problem with the song being sung out of context...in the theatre it is very powerful and emotional because elphaba is throwing away everything she had and everything changes, and it is a declaration that she is moving on to what is right no matter what or who tries to stop her. Out of context, it sounds like an inspirational song about not caring what anyone thinks of you. ew! no! also, half of the specialness is that you are in awe over the belting notes, and a boy singing it would take away the...."wow" factor, i guess?
......a teenage boy, lowering the song from already an octave lower, singing for a school concert just sounds to me like a disaster waiting to happen. but who knows, i cant know for sure unless i hear it *hint* *hint*

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#71re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 7:37pm

actually, even in the theatre the song comes off as being rather obnoxious over powerful or emotional ... and I don't mean it like the song has crappy and terrible lyrics, it does, but it's still even for her character "kiss me good-bye I'm defying gravity / you'll never bring me down" ... it's obnoxious she's using her power as a slap in the face... it's not moving... she's being a bi*ch.

LittleBitRacist Profile Photo
LittleBitRacist
#72re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 8:16pm

haha, well that is one way to look at it. I dont think of it as her trying to slap them in the face, but whatever floats your boat.

525600minutesWicked Profile Photo
525600minutesWicked
#73re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 8:39pm

Wow your so lucky. Tho I am confused as well with the solo part. Do u mean u get one solo and another person sings the other ? And where does Defying Gravity fit in the graduation ?? My skool seniors are also singing For Good-- Lucky them..... I forgot which sn said this, but yes Defying Gravity is by far the greatest song everr !!! Tho I also agree with TheatreBoi... Good luck re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY

One Song Glory
#74re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/24/05 at 8:39pm

My chorus is doing 'Popular' for our Spring Concert. So far...it's not going well. I'm going to have to do a 'la la dance' during the song. I wish we were doing 'Defying Gravity' instead. It could be a little easier to do since 'Popular' isn't meant to be group song.

I'm not a gay stereotype. I'm a coincidence.

Videos